SAE MC Cartridges (NOS) On eBAY

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ampexed, Oct 28, 2022.

1. JP

JP Forum Resident

Heading out of the port, maybe. The files on the other sites are down and the set here are named differently. One we need one of the other files to be able to know for certain what is what. Will hold off on revealing in case more people are curious.

I've one of those, too. Still prefer the MK3.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  2. JP

JP Forum Resident

3. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

4. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

JP likes this.
  5. JP

JP Forum Resident

inzite and ubiknik like this.
  6. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

JP, could not access your wav. files today but heard a1/b1 yesterday. The guitar solo with a1 sounded different than I’ve ever heard it, a bit too much fuzz. I guessed it was the LT, since I own the E and its sound was more to my liking. Thanks for posting those.

7. JP

JP Forum Resident

Source was the new UME pressing. BG made that quite different.

8. Zomax

Zomax Digging for Fire

Finally mounted the LT. Thankfully no issues (that 14 days went fast!). First impressions are: very quiet in the groove, nice overall presentation, good separation between instruments and nice amount of detail. Low frequencies seem a bit lacking. (XX’s “Fantasy” not hitting usual depths.). Tracking at 2g btw.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    33na3rd and woodpigeon like this.
  9. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I mounted my LT this evening. First impression is very positive! Playing Monty Alexander’s Love You Madly: Live at Bubba’s last year’s RSD jazz fave. It has a lively character, looking forward to hearing what it sounds like after the break in period. I also purchased the elliptical version, and should have time to mount that over the holiday weekend.

slybry2, 33na3rd, Zomax and 1 other person like this.
  10. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

Two LTs arrived in the mail today.

I have one set up on my SL-1500C with KAB damper and first impression is that it is pretty darn great, for the price. No vices to speak of.

Output a little quiet (fixed 40dB preamp), but easily accounted for with slight clockwise twist of the volume knob.

Great separation and imaging. Maybe lacks some of the dynamic punch and attack of higher end MCs, but for USD $99 this is a steal.

Thank you @Ampexed for bringing this to our collective attention.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    slybry2, 33na3rd, ubiknik and 2 others like this.
  11. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Likely last day SAE 1000e stock lasts on eBay.

12. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

looks like ill be mouting my 1000e before the 1000lt.

JP likes this.
  13. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

For anyone that didn't get an LT and wants one, there is now a single being offered on Ebay (by a resaler), complete with mounting on a head shell. Claims to be new, so probably from this original sale. Asking $249.

14. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

Don’t support dirt bags.

kevin5brown and schwaggy like this.
  15. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Who says its dirt ?

16. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

I think he is talking about the reseller, not the cartridge or the original seller.

Since I don't know the reseller I can't make such judgements, on whether this is a quick flip, or anything else.

17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The seller bought for $99 and wants $249 now with likely a cheap head shell. So he is taking advantage and called a dirt bag for such.

kevin5brown likes this.
  18. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

Maybe, maybe not? Or the seller had the SAE cart before the $99 carts went up and is now posting their's again? No way to know for sure either way.

19. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

We are not that naive here on SH are we?

kevin5brown likes this.
  20. Pmds55889397

Does it matter what price he's asking ?
    Its his goods, he decide asking price, people could just leave it if they believe its too expensive.

21. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Remember...

These were sold on Ebay about 10 years ago for $199, and there was a German seller on his own site (went by the name Thakker I believe) selling them for $300. And both sellers sold out pretty quickly.

SAE 1000E Cartridge | THAKKER

And back then, people were raving about them as a steal for those prices.

So, $249 is not out of line.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  22. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Agreed. Econ 101.

Frank Bisby likes this.
  23. Pmds55889397

What headshells are people actually using for their SAE ?

It seem as the cartridge is low weight, a mid heavy headshell on 1200mk7 perhaps a good solution, I am looking at these MG10 - weight 10gr:

[​IMG]

ubiknik likes this.
  24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have one of those. It will not work with every cartridge FYI. Not sure about the SAE. You may be better off choosing a newer model of AT headshell that's a little more adjustable.

25. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

And there’s plenty of people here and the other site who missed out on the LT. Maybe there will be more people trying to flip them if someone buys the first one that is marked up which is the only point I was making - don’t support it.

I don’t care what other people want to do with their own property, but the only way to curb it is to not pay their prices. Ignore my post if you don’t like that perspective.

kevin5brown likes this.