Looks like HMV in the UK may survive after all...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Sound of the Suburbs, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They did have that ridiculously good sale after the first lockdown.

carlwm and Eric_Generic like this.
  2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I did buy my son a Star Wars figure last time I was in there so you may be onto something.

carlwm and Man at C&A like this.
  3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Some of mine go back 10 or 15 years...you can tell by the different styles of stickers...

EG.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

They seem to have absolutely no buying power for vinyl, or an incredibly large mark-up.... My local independent record shop, which is the size of a family caravan , is able to beat them on vinyl prices. How can that be right? There's something fundamentally wrong there....

Ste_S and Man at C&A like this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I do wonder if the the two administrations have made the labels reluctant to give them good deals. Independent shops are usually significantly cheaper, or if it's possible they are paying off previous debts with the high mark up profits.

Eric_Generic and johnnybrum like this.
  6. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

No buying power for vinyl
    3 labels control the market & pricing these days

7. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I think HMV probably survives on the merchandise they sell - which the staff tells me sells very well indeed - and their blu ray/DVD selection. They cover most of the collectors blu ray labels (except Eureka), and often have very discounts on them, too. Amazon often has the same discounts, but it's much harder to come across 2 for £15 on Arrow, for example, than on HMV's site (poor though I agree it is). They currently have 25% off most DVD and blu ray, I might add, for Black Friday.

The other issue is there's a heck of a lot of youngsters going in the HMV closest to me - and HMV's social media presence (particularly Twitter) is actually very good.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It does annoy me that they constantly have decent offers on DVD & Blu-ray but hardly any on music.

9. shanebrown

I guess that they have to do what they can, but, if it keeps them no the high street, I'm happy.

10. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

:laughup::laughup: Yes, I'm in a similar situation! I bought a lot of those £2.99 CDs in the last 2 years and I haven't got round to opening them!

Whenever I have time (maybe once or twice a month), I open 10 of them and rip them.

Man at C&A and Eric_Generic like this.
  11. boiledbeans

Yes, that's what I learnt when I had a chat with an HMV staff. The £2.99 sale prices were not decided by HMV... they were decided by the distributors/labels.

Man at C&A and Eric_Generic like this.
  12. boiledbeans

I think they survive on youngsters buying vinyl. I've seen youngsters buy all types, from Harry Styles - Harry's House (his latest album) to David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

carlwm and Eric_Generic like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I always kept on top of everything I bought, usually playing it within a day or two, but in the last year I've been volunteering in a charity shop donation centre and the amount of CDs I've been getting is making it impossible to keep on top of. Good ones too! Not Robbie Williams and Steps etc...

Pouchkine and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The ones in Leeds & Swansea (essentially my two locals) seem to sell more breakfast cereal & American "chocolate" than music or films. Diversifying seems to be the way forward! :righton:

Pouchkine and Man at C&A like this.
  15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

What a lovely 38th birthday present. :D

Porkpie likes this.
  16. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

:D (he’s actually 6, but there are a lot of adults in that aisle when I go in there).

Eric_Generic and carlwm like this.
  17. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

The store in Kingston closed some time ago and as far as I know hasn’t reopened… :(

Eric_Generic likes this.
  18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

That was my favourite one too :(

EG.

LivingForever likes this.
  19. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

It's strange, though. They used to concentrate on films, games, merchandise and electronics, with a reduced music selection and that business model led to the collapse last time. They seem to be following the exact same business model again,bar the games, and are now expanding?!
    Did they have a lot of debt previously to venture capitalists? Which I guess might explain the collapse if they were trying to service the debt whilst also trying to deal with a declining market.

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Very possibly so. The people who took HMV into administration had done the same with other businesses under their control.

EG.

21. shanebrown

I think what might be working is the large amount of space dedicated to collector's editions now. By stocking those at the same price as Amazon, I think they have found a niche market that has spare cash, too - and would rather buy a copy on the high street than receive a battered one from a shop online. The merchandise and those pop-up things also seem to be doing well. There is lots of room for improvement, but they're still here!

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If they are a high volume buyer they would likely get better wholesale pricing if available in general.

The bigger issue for HMV UK may be lack of good credit terms. Labels/distributor might be reluctant to extend credit so they might be on a COD type situation. That would limit their ability to purchase unless they had a lot of cash reserves.

Pouchkine likes this.
  23. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

All I know is the vinyl prices in HMV are ridiculously high ...

johnnybrum likes this.
  24. Jonpd

Jonpd Forum Resident

The Cardiff HMV has just been refurbished, with CDs and vinyl moving to the first floor and DVDs to the ground floor with all the other stuff they sell. The CD section is now smaller.

Last time I was in there it was a busy with a lot of younger customers.

carlwm likes this.
  25. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

It’s a bit of a shame when in a music store, music is shoved to the back or up a floor, whilst bobble headed toy crap and weird sweets seem to be given some bizarre priority.

I’m just glad they are still around, even if I don’t get to one that often, there’s mostly something I buy when I go in there. I mean actual music of course, not snacks or toys!

Jonpd, Pouchkine and johnnybrum like this.