Looking for set up advise

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Claytong, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Claytong

Claytong Member Thread Starter

Hi I am wondering everyone’s opinions on my system. I have a fluance rt85 with ortofon 2m blue. With a ifi zen pre amp that I just got. My receiver is a Onkyo thx-nr757 7.1 with two Klipsch r-26 towers. As well as some surround Klipsch speakers. I love my new pre amp. (Besides some what sounds like distortion coming out of my left speaker on certain albums since adding the zen). What my question is. Is where is the best place to go from here? I was thinking of upgrading the speakers to the rp5000 or 6000. Or possibly upgrading the receiver. I don’t know how much of a difference the reciever will make though with the pre amp inline for vinyl. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I would consider a Rega Brio R or Rega Elex R. But, it does not need the new preamp that you did not list the manufacture or model. Knowing the preamp make I may suggest a power amp instead

3. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

the ifi is a good phonostage and the 2m a good cart. Your upgrade path is the amp and speakers to catch up to your analog front end.

the question you have to answer is how do you want to use your system? If home theatre is a priority, just focus on the speakers. If you want to get the most out of listening to records and music, get rid of the AVR and then get new speakers. All of the processing that is in the pre amp of an AVR for video and multi channel sound robs you of some fidelity. The amplifier section in that onkyo is also an opportunity for improvement.

if you need the hdmi input and want to be surrounded by speakers, keep the onkyo and immediately upgrade your speakers, the 5,000 or 6,000’s would be a very satisfying upgrade.

If you’ve not done it already, look for “pure direct” Or “by-pass” feature on the onkyo when you are playing records. It will take you down to just two channels and you’ll hear a cleaner, stronger and more detailed sound. You can expect more of that kind of improvement if you go to something that is a two channel line stage preamp as opposed to the sound of an AVR.

If you have the space, set up a two channel system in another room and just pull the turntable and phono stage out of the home theatre. This is common path for Most people in this hobby. You start out with a home theatre and slowly find you’re not using most of the features in favor of listening to two music listening. Once you get a more revealing amp and speaker situation, you will find it pretty easy to hear the improvement a new turntable can bring to the party.

bever70, jonwoody and Claytong like this.
  4. Claytong

Thanks a lot for all the info. Unfortunately at the moment moving the equipment is not an option. So I’m kind of handcuffed to a av receiver being in the mix. The main thing I was hoping if a did the receiver upgrade was to get possibly a slightly warmer sound. I don’t know if that is realistic to expect from something like that. I am currently actively looking for a good deal on the reference premier speakers.

5. Derek Harold Nicholls

Derek Harold Nicholls World Class 12'' arms Temaad

Change your T/T, try & find a S/H Technic's 1200.

Cheers

6. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

If you like the Klipsch sound, the RPs are nice. I have RP5000s.
    The series II came out so they are blowing the old series I out. Check Crutchfield or Amazon.

Claytong likes this.
  7. Frank Bisby

Yes, I would imagine “warm” is the direction you want to go. I’ll say this as an opinion and not fact as to not not get anyone triggered on thanksgiving morning that likes to listen to music through a home theater system but….when listening to anything that was voiced for home theater, dialog is the priority. 90% of movies and 99% of television is talking and that mostly lives in the high end details, the music you listen to is in the mid range. Your onkyo and Klipsch towers are bright by design.

If I was in your position and wanted to warm things up or get a sweeter mid range, first thing I would do is listen in two channel mode. The center and surrounds throw a lot of bright sound into the room. If there is a 2.1 option that includes the sub, give that shot and it might balance some of the south the horns are giving you.

The next option would be to get warmer sounding speakers and that isn't going to be any skinny/tall klipsch speaker. This is where shopping for vintage or used speakers on Craigs list is a good idea if you are on a tight budget. I like klipsch but the heritage line is going to get you more of what you are looking for. If you want a warmer tone, a bigger/wider speaker cabinet that has a 7 -15 inch woofer and has a sensitivity rating in the 90's would be the target. Or really, any speaker that was designed before surround sound was a thing. Not every speaker that matches that description is going to be a winner but that is the right track. Something that is very close to matching the sensitivity rating of you center and surrounds would be a good idea or they will be too quiet when running them with the other speakers. A used pair forte checks all of these boxes.

The next spot to warm things up would be the cart. The 2mblue is great but its not the smooth buttery mid range that makes it a winner, it's the detail and excitement. Put a Denon 103r or a Hanna HOMC on there and you will get a much warmer sound.

Claytong likes this.
  8. Claytong

perfect. Thank you for all the advise. I will look into these options.

Frank Bisby likes this.
  9. Frank Bisby

Wharfedale - Linton 85th Anniversary Bookshelf Speakers (Pair)

These guys on stands would bring a lot of warmth to your system. I think there is a very long thread about these speakers you could check out. At 90db sensitive your onkyo would drive them nicely but the match with the center would be questionable. By comparison your center is a little hot an bossy, could overwhelm the wharfedales a bit. If you like to turn it up and rage, the wharfedale won’t do that as well as the Klipsch.

Claytong likes this.
  10. Claytong

Ya I did look at those as well. I have been looking and I do like the Klipsch sound. But I was hoping to soften it just a bit. Was hoping maybe that could be accomplished with switching out the Onkyo to a Marantz?

11. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

Or if you do mostly vinyl, a tube phono stage might help.
    The EAR 834P clones can be had for $400 or less and you'd be getting a stage a lot better than the Zen. You could also look into the Chinese tube amps; I've read good things about them. Just gotta be selective about which one to go with and find the one that fits your needs.

That 2M Blue can seem a little hot also. That SAE 1000E on eBay for a hunski is a nice cart and a little fatter in sound. I'm running one right now and like it. Sounds like my VM750SH.

Frank Bisby and Claytong like this.
  12. Claytong

Thanks for the tips