Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

I like that Going Going Gone outtake, I could certainly listen to 5 discs of that!

Themigou and Alfie Noakes like this.
  2. slane

slane Forum Resident

It's an isolated vocal and guitar overdub. He stops playing guitar at points.

3. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Right, you can hear bits and pieces of the "missing" music at various points throughout, particularly during the bridge.

Williamson likes this.
  4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

If the UK site still has copies of the 10LP box in 2 weeks time when I get paid I can see myself ordering it

5. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident

100% with @Kevin Davis - the discussion around the songs that are on this TOOM BS set is exactly what I’m here for. Seems odd imo to shut it down in such a manner.

6. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

This is the best thread since cotton.

MrCJF likes this.
  7. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

the mods do things i don't agree with also, but they are volunteers who help keep this place civilised. respect their decisions

8. I don't think the problem was specifically the Make You Feel My Love discussion. Seems to be a surge in hostilities recently on Dylan threads, both here and on Expecting Rain. Part of me thinks it is great that people still care but I'm also mindful that online friction is endemic. Grateful for this place and that moderation is on tap.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So basically 12 new outtakes/alts and the remix (I have my doubts on a remix improving things, but ok)

For disc 5 I would have rather had a protaped live concert from this time period. All the taping they must have done, please dont tell me everything was ruined or poorly done out of literally 100s of concerts.

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, I dont know if we will ever get a full show from the last 30 yrs until the master has traveled on into the Highlands.

But I agree

11. That string of El Rey shows from 1997 was the kickstarter that got me interested in live Dylan again. Before then, the last show of his that I saw was in 1993 when he played with Santana and Jeff Beck. I totally skipped/missed his May 1995 show at the Warfield. (And it wasn't because I didn't want to go...just lots going on.) I didn't see him again until he played three dates in Southern California in May 1998--two at Pauley Pavilion and one at the Pond in Anaheim. One of those songs is on this boxset. For me, Dylan never went away; but he did for many people. I loved his albums from the 1980s and even found a soft spot in my heart for Under A Red Sky. In 1998, his live shows were especially receiving a lot of positive attention especially since they were supporting such a terrific come-back album. Even a friend of mine at the time who disliked Dylan liked much of the jamming on the El Rey shows, and he was an Allmans fans. The El Rey shows to me just seemed like a taste of what was to soon manifest. As far as I was concerned, Dylan was back with a very strong album, and the blood was pumping in my veins. I didn't want to miss any of his shows when they came even remotely around where I lived.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Inspired stuff! Thanks for your thoughts.

This was such an upgrade over my old pre-youtube "Dont Be Late"...

Love this show...

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  13. It's crazy when one thinks that this was 26 years ago. I just wish that I had been at these intimate shows. I was living in Northern California at the time. I do --ahem!--have other ways of enjoying the audio from these shows. If they are ever officially released, I hope that the sound is improved (if that is possible) and more importantly I'd love to see the whole string of shows make an appearance with killer photography as artwork. A vinyl set would be fantastic! Until then, I respect the clamoring for the Villager/Supper Club editions. Both of those are long overdue. If I had to choose, I'd go Villager myself but then I would have to walk a mile in someone's shoes to do so.

revolution_vanderbilt and mpayan like this.
  14. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

I haven't jumped onto this thread a great deal.... but all the talk about those late '97 and early 98 shows, when TOOM was brand new, got me thinking about the two great shows I saw near the end of the year in 97. I saw one of the two 9:30 club shows in Washington DC, and that great Irving Plaza, NYC show (I'm forgetting which one was first now!) .. both really amazing. also saw one at the 'felt forum; (i think they called it at the time 'the theatre at msg' but i still remember it as the felt forum, the 'smaller' performance venue under Madison square garden) in Jan 98.

as for 'to make me feel your love'--- while i never loved the song as much as several others on TOOM, it was nice to see a more 'commercial' song of Bob's get into the mainstream again- and while it was not a highlight live, there was at least one or two performances of it where I thought-- damn, this is a better song then I give it credit for' .

anyway, looking forward to the box in January. Any rumours of any new recording sessions in this winter break? would be really great to get , ahead of schedule, a new album of new originals from Bob in 2023---c'mon, bob none of us are getting any younger! :)

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Down Along the Cove from Bonnaroo is to me the song in which Bob Dylan had the best rock band sound. I enjoy his addition of Charlie again that gave us that spook, but there was a time there in 2003-2004 that Dylans band was a tight outfit that really rocked with Larry at the front.

My favorite later Dylan period will always be about 1997-2002, but there was something open and rockin in 2004 that no other time hit upon.

Great performance.

Gary_Stewart and matt79rome89 like this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Me too, I wish Dylan had done the entire album this way. With the final lyrics of course. He was in better voice than the official TOOM shows. He didnt need all that **** on his voice.

Nosferatuz and dee like this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I never have understood this. Its a great song. A great love song. Though I changed the words a bit when I sing it.

When the rain is blowing in your face
    And the whole world seems out of place

18. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart 2 Kings 2:23-25

I had a similar experience. I hadn't seen Bob live since 1988 Jones Beach when I went to the first night at the El Rey. I wound up going to three out of five nights at El Rey, and still regret missing two. Star-studded audience; Jack Nicholson, Ringo, etc. Unannounced special opener every night; my nights were Willie Nelson, Sheryl Crow, and Beck doing a solo acoustic set. The best musical week of my life to this day. Luckily, I have recordings of all five nights.

webmatador, drift and matt79rome89 like this.
  19. My mail carrier delivered four separate packages late this afternoon from Dylan. Each had a free rain poncho with the Dylan logo on the back. Invoice said free gift. Four of these WTF?

What a waste.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

John D., garymc, jonnyeric and 7 others like this.
  20. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart 2 Kings 2:23-25

Sounds like the same source to me, maybe EQed a little. I was right up front at that show!

mpayan likes this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I see nothing clunky about this lovely lyiric:

I'd go hungry, I'd go black and blue
    I'd go crawling down the avenue
    No, there's nothing that I wouldn't do
    To make you feel my love
    The storms are raging on the rolling sea
    And on the highway of regret
    The winds of change are blowing wild and free
    You ain't seen nothing like me yet

I almost see this song as being hints of his Sinatra era to come.

Can you imagine Frank covering this? Ohhhhh I can. Definitely.

22. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

This is great. Are there boots of this stuff? Where did this come from?

milankey likes this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think people are so caught up in the now they forget the then.

24. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

ditto that, I curse whoever is responsible for the guitar going out mid song

25. dee

dee Senior Member

Cape Fear ;)

JoeF., Williamson and mpayan like this.