Monkees Headquarters SDE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rlp, Nov 1, 2022.

1. hidlive

hidlive made you look

Okay, my only minor complaint here. For some reason, the backing vocals on Sally are clearly newly recorded. The song had been nearly rejected from being issued as a bonus single in 2007 after one of the composers complained about the production. I’m guessing in particular, he didn’t like the vocals…

and he’s one of the people thanked on the back of the box. Denny Randell. I’m pretty sure Denny added new vocals in 2022 in order to put the song out properly.

…not entirely sure how to feel about this revelation, but! I will keep listening to the box.

jeremylr, Hep Alien, RobRoyF and 3 others like this.
  2. I’m goi g to hold off on describing the music until others get theirs however shouldn’t the untitled instrumentals be credited to The Monkees and Chip? They’re original jams from whst I can tell. Also, shouldn’t “No Time” finally have the correct writing credits (Nesmith-Tork-Dolenz)?

3. rlp

rlp Forum Resident Thread Starter

… any mention in the booklet about this?

D-rock likes this.
  4. hidlive

hidlive made you look

The mastering is phenomenal. Micky’s drums are no longer thin, the basslines are heavier now, and the acoustic & electric guitars twinkle very nicely. Headquarters quite literally has no master close to this, due to quality loss over tape bounces.

Hep Alien, dangiedr, Brian Mc and 9 others like this.
  5. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I'm up to the energetic 99 Pounds and have to agree this is one nice sounding set so far.

Hep Alien, Brian Mc, FJFP and 5 others like this.
  6. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

So delighted to hear that!
    Just when I thought my anticipation couldn't get any more frenzied!
    I'm confident I'll share your feelings regarding sonics once my sets arrive.
    It sounds like my appreciation of everything Headquarters is going to increase exponentially with this release.

For a third generation fan, I'm somewhat(not really!) amazed at how much joy that The Monkees can still summon up in myself.

7. apple-richard

I'm usually not that big of a fan of tracking sessions but disc two sessions just keeps making me smile. So cool to just hear the music. So clear and concise. Loving it.

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Arrived ten minutes ago. Noiice.

9. apple-richard

:bdance:

Instant Dharma and D-rock like this.
  10. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

Blown away by the remix.

It sounds absolutely incredible. Andrew did a superb job.

11. apple-richard

The backing vocals on You Just May Be The One get me every time. Just like they did when I was in the 3rd grade back in 1967.

12. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

About to grab one of these for my sister who taught me at the young age of 9 to love the Monkees. Is there a code or discount I can use? Is Rhino the only distributor?

crustycurmudgeon likes this.
  13. I’ve always preferred the version recorded for the TV show over the one recorded for Headquarters. :shrug: Still one of their greatest songs no matter which version.

14. apple-richard

Finished the whole set in one sitting. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed. What a treasure trove of great performances. Four + hours of excellent material.

15. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Why change the writing credits? It wasn't a mistake was it? Didn't they purposely give the credit to Hank Cicalo?

16. apple-richard

:agree:

17. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Promo code- CC22WMG10
    Yes, Rhino is the only distributor.

domesticmachine and JeffreyB like this.
  18. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

In regard to 'You Just May be the One', I always liked the TV version better as well-Not by much though. I like the little bit of extra pep in the TV version.

Billy Budapest, JuanTCB and JeffreyB like this.
  19. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

So is it different from the 2007 bonus single?

hidlive likes this.
  20. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

Wow, I just listened to the new mix of "For Pete's Sake" on youtube, and it makes me want to hear the rest of the album!

I apologize if this has been covered and I missed it, but do we know if there will there ever be a way to hear this remix without buying this set?

21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

[​IMG]

22. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

Thanks Fred!

FredV likes this.
  23. gvout

gvout Forum Resident

I'll be waiting a bit longer. I'm getting the autographed copy from Micky's site.

24. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Here it is -

First time I listened I was like what’s different? It’s a bit subtle, which I think is great actually, rather than a drastic remix
    The drums and the organ are much easier to pick out in the mix to my ears
    Can’t wait to get my copy!

cmcintyre, Hep Alien, gvout and 8 others like this.
  25. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Thanks @hidlive ! great review of the odd-BALL song Sally. Interesting for me.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    hidlive likes this.