Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

Time for an all-acoustic album, Bob.

DmitriKaramazov and The Bard like this.
  2. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

I think that would be a surprise to him too ;)

CataPineapple39 likes this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Time for a rock n roll album. I love the last album but I really wish we would get one more rocking upbeat album.

Markab and Barnyard Symphony like this.
  4. The Bard

Well said ... and exactly my point of view. I skip it every time nowadays ... on the album and on the concert recordings. It's the one song on the album that I find a drag to listen to.

5. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The price for the 5cd set on Amazon UK has jumped back up to £129.99.

6. The Bard

I have gone with this route as well - postage to Singapore was massively different - making the whole deal about $100 USD cheaper overall.
    I am a little worried about their ability to fulfil the order, given this apparently a bobdylan.com exclusive, but fingers crossed.

skipper1967 and theMot like this.
  7. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

8. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Lols I got one too

Mazzy likes this.
  9. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

The audience / soundboard ‘discussion’ was like that and was getting tiresome, even for a pedant like me. The MYFML one wasn’t.

drift, mpayan and Percy Song like this.
  10. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

Those ponchos may seem wasteful, but they would be handy if you're visiting Niagara Falls.

[​IMG]

Mazzy and savemenow like this.
  11. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Or if you happen to be with some "Rainy Day Women". But only if they're # 12 & 35

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    Zeki, Barnyard Symphony and Mazzy like this.
  12. The Bard

It's not that I see it as "clunky" ... I just see it as "schmaltzy" ... and the fact you can see it as cover-able by Frank Sinatra is why it leaves me cold.
    My favourite Bob songs are the ones that I could not imagine Frank Sinatra covering in a million years.

Themigou likes this.
  13. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

But even if they were TOOM themed they’d be no good for the Highlands, where only proper Goretex rainwear will do…

MrCJF and savemenow like this.
  14. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

No no no, those 'rainy days' would burn dangerous holes in the fabric.

savemenow likes this.
  15. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

Bob hasn't made an acoustic album in 29 years.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  16. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

The edited "mumble" verse was better, though:-

When your breath smells like a month-old sock,
    And my ship is coming into dock,
    Mumble, mumble, mumble urrrgghh frock
    To make you feel my
    Love.

It has probably been curated out of the set, along with the "mumble" version of "Marchin' To The City Version #2", which was edited down from its magnificent eight minute-plus length for the third disc of Tell Tale Signs.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    DeeThomaz and TheAbsentMind like this.
  17. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

Let me just clarify one thing....

As one now thread banned member suggested in his mocking and condescending posts, I did not say that members could not discuss "To Make You Feel My Love". All that I'm asking is that members refrain from arguing and indulging in pointless bickering that only serves to derail the thread. When members start making comments to each other such as those below then someone needs to step in....

This not exactly constructive or for that matter civil comment was repeated by this member on more than one occasion, it also resulted the following back and forth......

As any moderator will tell you comments such as those above usually escalate into further arguments and insults, these only serve to create bitterness and more work for the moderation team.

PS.

Can I also say thank you to those members who undertand how difficult these decisions we take can be, and who also posted supportive comments in response to the action that was taken to the now deleted posts.

mrjinks, highway, TeddyB and 7 others like this.
  18. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I didn’t actually notice those comments, I must have skipped over them. I agree, ‘get over it’ isn’t helpful.

The Bard, hodgo and Percy Song like this.
  19. zombie dai

is it possible that the "30 minutes" highlands is just versions 1&2 as i think the combined running time is about 30 mins? if so...will version 2 be a whole new lyric?! crosses fingers

20. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

That would be pretty amazing

Nosferatuz likes this.
  21. drift

drift Forum Resident

I see from all the deleted posts that we can no longer talk about Make You Feel My Love. Are all the other tracks fair game?

Nosferatuz, rihajarvi and savemenow like this.
  22. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

No.

CBackley and drift like this.
  23. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I recently posted about the 2004 era on my blog.

The start of 2003 brought a change to Bob Dylan‘s touring band with the departure of Austin, Texas-based guitarist Charlie Sexton. He first performed with Dylan as a guest when the Never Ending Tour hit Austin in 1991 and 1996, then became a full-fledged member of Dylan’s touring ensemble in 1999. Sexton’s guitar work with fellow guitarist Larry Campbell during this stint is considered a highpoint in Dylan’s road history. For the scheduled February 2003 dates in Australia and New Zealand, Billy Burnette, son of rockabilly legend Dorsey and nephew of Johnny, stepped in, only staying for the eleven show run of the tour. When the US leg commenced in April, another musician had taken Burnette’s place.

French native Freddy Koella, whose main gig had been playing guitar and violin with NYC rock ‘n’ roll/R&B singer Willy DeVille, also backed artists such as k.d. lang and Dr. John. His contribution to Dylan’s live sound was no less than startling from the very beginning. His innovative leads could leave listeners bewildered one moment and mesmerized the next. No other guitarist, perhaps no other musician, took as many risks while playing with Dylan as Koella does, and that includes heavyweights like Robbie Robertson and Michael Bloomfield.

Throughout his tenure, Koella’s reinvention of the Dylan standard “It Ain’t Me, Babe” took the song into previously unknown realms. The performance on March 21, 2004, in Toronto establishes a mysterious, hesitating groove led by a slow pounding bass and quick guitar slashes. Dylan comes in and adds his halting, but expressive vocals, leading up to the chorus when the band rises up with the help of ringing guitar embellishments. As the second verse starts, Koella drops a few dissonant wah-wah effects, then returns to rhythmic chording until his solo at the end of the next chorus. A flurry of skittering notes that sound almost like backwards tape loops fly in all directions, seemingly not fitting in with the melody, but still somehow feeling right. With the arrival of the chorus section, Freddy utilizes fewer notes, though still slightly arrhythmic, to heighten the dramatic tension. In the final verse, the atonal wahs return, followed by selective subtle twittering, before the band brings the song to its climactic finale.

Unfortunately, Koella’s magnificent contributions only lasted a year since he had to leave due to health concerns. Bob and the band continued to perform a similar arrangement of “It Ain’t Me, Babe” for the rest of the year. The Glasgow rendition above still builds nicely, but the guitar solo is replaced by a classic turn on the harmonica by Bob himself. It does the trick, although I still miss Freddy’s musical adventurousness.

https://youtu.be/y7_rWWDQtwo

NOVEMBER 11, 2022

24. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Nice, thank you. I didn’t see any 2004 shows but I did see 6 at the end of 2003. Hammersmith remains one of the best and most mysterious Bob shows I’ve seen. Freddy was great, although I was sceptical at first some of his playing was superb.

babyblue likes this.
  25. zombie dai

did the full bootleg ever come out?