THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

More components. And ones that by definition become obsolete/outdated rather quickly, thus diminishing the value of the whole device.
    A pure analog amp stays the way it is for decades, and you can hook it up to anything you like.
    The built-in digital inputs would be useless sooner or later due to ever-changing/evolving digital formats.
    Aren't there also less line inputs available due to the inclusion of the digital ones? Haven't checked.
    Anyway, I won't be buying an amp with an integrated DAC.

2. If one doesn’t care about the DAC, it’s not important that it might become obsolete in the future. Thus, it can’t diminish the value. Now, if you had said that without the DAC, the price might be lower, that’s something different.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  3. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

I didn't mean monetary value. I don't want a device with a bunch of obsolete/useless inputs and digital circuitry that's more prone to malfunctions.
    It cheapens the amp. And again I don't mean by monetary terms.

RolandG likes this.
  4. Thanks, understood. I disagree about the cheapening aspect, but I understand your point.

kiddo4 likes this.
  5. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Most folks want a DAC in an amp now as a lot will stream at HIFI quality digital streaming. Obviously not you , but that just you.

6. Chris81

Chris81 Teckel fool

You know most of the hifi people? :p :angel: I don't want a DAC in my amp, despite the fact that I'm streaming. An analoge amplifier will be up to date for generations while a DAC won't be I guess. Therefore I prefer an amp with an external DAC.:)

VinylCountdown, SteveFord and kiddo4 like this.
  7. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

My main sources are digital. I have no issues with digital music. I just don't want digital processors in an analog amp. They belong outside where they can easily be changed/upgraded.

Chris81 likes this.
  8. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Since they kept the same amount of analog inputs it doesn't bother me.

9. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

I know Rega are highly regarded but I will never buy one because they look like cheap gadgets. Same goes for Pro-Ject.
    They just look too flimsy to me.
    I want a record player to look like a substantial piece of engineering rather than a sheet of mdf with an arm and spinner nailed on. Looks matter to me.

VinylCountdown likes this.
  10. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Started with Rega P6 with Ania MC and the Aria phonostage.

Upgraded to the P10 with the Aphelion MC. Now just upgraded to the Aphelion 2.

thinking I’ll do the Aura phonostage next year.

espendo, DeanoBee and GordonM like this.
  11. Kristofferabild

Am I the only one that’s hoping for the new "wallnut" wood option on the Planar 2 to be available on the next Planar 3 / Planar 6?
    Rega | Planar 2 Turntable

VinylCountdown likes this.
  12. Kristofferabild

I see your point and do also wish that the build of my Planar 3 felt more substantial. On the other hand it looks like that for a reason and the design is very utilitarian, which I like.

13. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Apparently the material used for the P6 can only be in that colour.
    Luckily I like it!

14. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

Well, they are cheap? At least in hifi terms here in the UK. They're not flimsy though. My 40+ year old Planar 2 is still going strong, despite a bicycle falling onto it (don't ask).

Sure, you can buy something that's more 'substantial' but you're paying at least double/triple the price.

15. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

My P8 is light but is still a “substantial piece of engineering” I would argue. It may not be to everyone’s taste and not everyone may agree with the design philosophy, but it is not an insubstantial piece of engineering.

Rega offer turntables across a range of price points. All are engineered to that price point. As already suggested, at the entry price point where I would say the criticism is aimed, you would be hard pressed to find new something that was genuinely “substantial” in the sense of being engineered like a tank.

Rega don’t just make turntables. They make integrated amplifiers. They look plain, for sure, and the design and engineering goes into the electronics and features to achieve the desired performance. The casework - like with the turntables - is part of the engineering and in the case of the amps they are hefty items! They may be plain - with no flash - but don’t look cheap and flimsy.

This is the Rega Appreciation thread - there are certainly other threads for comparing the merits and demerits of Rega and other brand offerings.

16. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

So I just ordered the Elex-R. It will get here next week. Can't wait.

17. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

There's a new Elex out as you might know ?
    -R is old edition

Dr. J. likes this.
  18. Dr. J.

Yes, no need for a dac or headphone amp, just analog bliss at the sale price of $1,395.

19. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Rega Apheta 3 - mine has a missing badge - pictured playing one of the most garish discs in my collection - KH - Looking At Your Pager 12” (KH = Kieran Hebden). I don’t have huge experience with LOMC and nor have I listened to a wide range of cartridges - but I really do enjoy listening to this on my P8.

[​IMG]

20. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

I'm very tempted at the sale price. I've also no need for a DAC or headphone section. Please post your impressions of it, thanks.

21. Dr. J.

Happy to do so, Mike. I purchased the Elex-R through my local dealer, and it did not come in until Tuesday of last week, so I have not had a lot of time with it--maybe 7-8 hours only. However, the improvement over the Musical Fidelity M2si is quite dramatic, I can say with conviction. Previous upgrades for me have always been just incremental, maybe getting 5-10% improvements over the previous components I had. The Elex-R is so much more refined than the MF; it's really breathtaking. Just so you know, I am playing the Elex-R through a pair of Rodgers LS3/5a, which allows the sound signature of the amp to shine much more than most speakers. YMMV depending on your speakers.

The first thing I noticed is how much more transparent the sound is: details, both macro and micro, that I had to strain to hear before are now more out in the open with the Elex-R. The next thing that struck me was the tone: the amplifier is pretty neutral sounding to my years. I have heard the Brio many times at the dealer and was worried that the Elex-R would sound kind of dark in the bass regions. The Elex-R is much more refined and fleshed out in lower octaves. The midrange may have a touch of warmth to it, but compared to the MF, I now realize that the M2si homogenizes the sound, making everything pleasant sounding because of its overly smooth and lush midrange. The top end is nicely extended, something that I really wanted, giving me some of that audiophile "air" but it doesn't sound exactly tipped up because everything seems so balanced sounding overall. The last thing I noticed right away is how the MF seems to rush the music, letting the leading edges hit you in an immediate and very visceral way, but all the finesse on the back end of a recording (reverb trails of instruments and vocals) gets lost during the next wave of sound. Not so with the Elex-R. However, I will say that the Elex-R is not as hard hitting with rock music. It definitely has the PRAT thing going for it, but the MF has a little more authority and control over dynamic swings. In short, that sums up the main difference for me: refinement over authority. With the MF I want to party, feeling the music because it gives a very front row presentation; with the Rega, I just want to sit back and listen to music--a cliche, I know, but true. I can report back later, but these are my initial impressions.

22. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

Thank you, great description of its character. Keep the comments coming, if you don't mind, as you listen to it more. Curious to know if you're using the phono section and if so how that sounds. An integrated amp is next up in my system upgrade.

23. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I'm in the market for an Elex R and also an LS3/5a. How are you finding this combo low end wise? Have you played any Rock music through it?

24. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Rock music and LS3/5a isn't something you can match in one sentence

25. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

I bought an Elex-R a month ago sounded pretty amazing but died after a month. Brought it
    back a week ago, haven't heard from the dealer yet, they better not think of giving me back
    a repaired unit. Bought a P6 to go with it for a 2nd system along with my RS7s. They just
    got the Elex-Rs in when I bought it.

The phono stage in the Elex-R is really great. I just wanted something simple for the 2nd system.
    P6>Elex-R>RS7s. Not sure if I want another Elex-R though, we'll see what they say.