Monkees Headquarters SDE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rlp, Nov 1, 2022.

1. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Great something to look fwd to - that one is a personal fave ... Glad to read a fan in ND got his copy somewhat early!

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

So here I am listening to the remix over my morning coffee, marveling at the newfound clarity and actual bass. Then on comes “Shades of Gray”—I ponder that they’re all gone except for Mickey, I hear Peter sing the title line and now I’ve got tears running down my face. ****. Headquarters was the seven-year-old me’s Sgt. Pepper’s but I was not expecting this kind of reaction. Bravo to Andrew S. and Rhino for this wonderful gift.

3. hidlive

hidlive made you look

Big fan of the detuned 12-bar jam, the title is a lot more negative than the audio contents inside! It’s absolutely great. I had my expectations low and was pleasantly surprised!

Yep! Completely new backing vocals. Micky’s vocal is the same, as is the instrumentation.

Side note, for some reason the track “She Hangs Out (Alternate Backing Vocals)” is out of sync. Davy & the singers are just a smidge too fast compared to the backing track.

izgoblin and Hep Alien like this.
  4. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Wouldn't be Thanksgiving without Wild Turkeys in my back yard.

[​IMG]

RobRoyF, Ken K, joelee and 6 others like this.
  5. siegel7825

siegel7825 Forum Resident

Southeast Monkees fan....
    [​IMG]

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

shipping hasn't been updated in 60 hours.
    i hope it's safe to assume it's not still in california.

7. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

The shipping is through a hybrid UPS/USPS system, which generally means tracking is a bit more vague than standard UPS tracking. You probably won't get an exact update until UPS gives it to your regional post office. When you track it on the UPS site, you'll see that it also has a USPS tracking number assigned to it for when that moment happens.

Galley, siegel7825 and apple-richard like this.
  8. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Mine came UPS all the way. Delivered at 7 last night which is when I usually get UPS here. My regular mail comes around 3 PM and that's when I got my Peter Tork 10 inch EP.

D-rock, Tom Stigler and wayneklein like this.
  9. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

I can't remember if I asked this on this group or elsewhere (also I don't want to look through all the pages to find it) but are there any running times for the songs given anywhere? If anyone could include that information, I would be very grateful.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

Yeah, it varies by market. One of the labels I worked for used to use that service class to ship promo copies. It's cheaper, but a little less precise at times.

apple-richard likes this.
  11. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

My disc 2 has some tracks that skip. Can anyone post the Dr. Rhino link so I can ask for a replacement?

12. Trainspotting

Also, disc 2 has many cuts featuring backing tracks to songs not on the Headquarters album and featuring no Monkees contributions whatsover. Any idea why these were included?

13. hidlive

hidlive made you look

Historical reasons. The Monkees were supposed to sing on all of those songs. It’s a peek into what a Don Kirshner led Headquarters would’ve been. A few of these tracks have never been heard by the public at all for 55 years!

14. Same with mine. Mine actually came two days early.

apple-richard likes this.
  15. It would be cool if they could use some demising technology to remix Pisces for the missing masters.

Hep Alien, Marty T and Tom Stigler like this.
  16. ramonesfan

ramonesfan Forum Resident

Can you share which specific tracks are skipping?

17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Are the tracks skipping on your player or on a computer? Maybe you can upload the tracks to your computer and add them for listening on your smartphone.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Trainspotting

Actually, no. I was playing it in my car driving down from LA to San Diego yesterday, and a few of them skipped. My daughter took it out and attempted to clean the disc and when we played it again it still skipped. I recall that particular track was #27, a version of "All of Your Toys," but a few before that one skipped as well. I've sent things back to Dr. Rhino before and he always sent me a replacement disc, though sometimes it took a couple of months.

19. Trainspotting

Yeah, but that still doesn't change the fact that the disc has tracks that skip.

20. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Does it say anything about 2022 recording in the booklet by this track?

Tom Stigler likes this.
  21. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Speaking of writing credits, I'm curious if the ones for She'll Be There have been amended for this set. Off the top of my head, the 2007 deluxe edition and Missing Links Volume 3 both listed the writers as unknown, but they have been identified.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    jeremylr and Hep Alien like this.
  22. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

You were playing this expensive disc in a car player ? Then you let your daughter take it out and clean it ?? And you're happy to admit to this ???

23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

:faint:

seeknom and D-rock like this.
  24. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I always made a copy to play in closed players,in case of damage or malfunction. But,to each their own :agree:

hidlive, D-rock and siegel7825 like this.
  25. As I recall, he remixed this release.

I appreciate the Jeff Barry sessions but at least two songs are awful from those "If I Learned to Play The Violin" and "99 Pounds". The former is just bad. The latter, is kind of an ordinary rocker. My opinion of course. Nice to see the single mono mixes included for "A Little Bit of Me" and "Girl". I've still got my vintage single hanging on the wall.

The only songs I had an issue with was "The Love You've Got Inside" and "Seger's Theme" take 2

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    apple-richard and BobT like this.