David Bowie DIVINE SYMMETRY (The Journey to HUNKY DORY)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 27, 2022.

1. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

Sorry to be a downer, but listening to the rare demos on Disc 1, they kept ALL of the acetate surface noise on each of those tracks. It's not subtle - at all.

This is a clean-up job a novice engineer could've done in 20 mins.

Beyond disappointing. What in the F were they thinking?

sortvinyl, gamuzajoe, Ludger and 5 others like this.
  2. henriquefho

henriquefho Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if this will be available in streaming @ midnight? I remember Conversation Piece and AWOTC were, but I've heard nothing (yet) about Divine Symmetry... Could someone from Australia or around say if they have it already on their streaming services?

3. DGC

DGC Well-Known Member

Given that two or three tracks have been released on Spotify as advance "singles", I'd expect the whole thing will be available as was the case with the previous sets.

bluedemon25 and croquetlawns like this.
  4. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I’ll take surface noise over noise reduction any day.

5. It’s up on Spotify in Australia now.Total running time for the content on the 4 CD’s is 4 hours 20 minutes.

croquetlawns and Mylene like this.
  6. vivresavie

vivresavie Forum Resident

This is actually a good thing. Zero noise reduction is what I prefer in any circumstance.

RubenH, Swansong, GRompre68 and 6 others like this.
  7. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

...just wait to you hear it before this 'good thing' you speak of.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    sunspot42 and Boom Operator like this.
  8. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I’ve listened to it and, again, I’d much rather have it with surface noise than with NR.

Swansong, scobb, sortvinyl and 7 others like this.
  9. vivresavie

vivresavie Forum Resident

I've not heard it yet but there's never even been a single instance where I've wished noise reduction had been used. I doesn't matter how high the noise floor is, NR is always a bad idea imho. I've been collecting bootlegs since I was a kid so I've heard many acetate transfers and I'm a big fan of early Jazz, but I've never been bothered by surface noise. NR is the only thing which bothers me. Those who likes NR can easily add some filtering at home so I'm glad they went for the hands-off approach.

Swansong, aphexj, DrJ and 2 others like this.
  10. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

I've heard worse pressed to wax.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  11. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

My 12/14 Amazon $70 has not shipped. The sorta good news is the 16 bit version is readily available for download on the net. I haven't seen the 96/24 portions yet.

I used a gift card to pay, so I was charged when I ordered weeks ago.

If the high res shows up on the net, I may cancel the order.

bluedemon25 likes this.
  12. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

So cool you are getting it..I am just east of the city.
    I am sadly holding out to see if there is a price drop.

13. moomoomoomoo

I only ordered it once. I assumed the delivery delay was a second pressing. But it really pisses me off that people ordering today will get it 20 days before I do.

TheLoveDrags and bluedemon25 like this.
  14. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

Me too

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  15. moomoomoomoo

My order was placed October 4th. Amazon keeps going further & further down hill. They may not be too big to fail.

Bobbooey67, sunspot42 and bluedemon25 like this.
  16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i don't think this is an accurate assessment... firstly only four tracks (Kooks, Amsterdam, Changes, Bombers) are sourced from acetates and those have circulated forever in horrible quality. this set does not offer much if any kind of upgrade for those tracks, though Changes and Bombers do feature far more noise than the bootlegged versions. however it's also very evident that some clean up has been done, including noise reduction. and at least they've transferred them in mono which has significantly reduced the amount of noise. silk purse and all that.

(edited after realizing my download omitted the Bombers demo)

Freek999, TeddyB and croquetlawns like this.
  17. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

How positively droogy.

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I placed mine a week before you did. Same low price. My delivery is listed as Dec. 2. I can live with that for the savings.

yesstiles likes this.
  19. moomoomoomoo

I've only played a couple tracks of the download on my PC with an awful Intel sound chip, so I'm not in a position to judge. I wasn't impressed with the sound, but don't know if that's the files, or the sound chip.

I really wish they'd release a download of the entire box on 96/24. I would definitely cancel the Amacrud order.

bluedemon25 likes this.
  20. Moon_Monkey

Moon_Monkey Active Member

Sorry, I think there's loads of noise reduction on these, and tonnes of de-clicking for sure. Very obvious artefacts throughout. God knows what they sounded like beforehand.

There's definitely a much better rip of the Bombers demo doing the rounds - presumably from a different acetate. Shame they couldn't get a rip of that.

I'm blown away by King of the City. Wonderful, wonderful track, but I'm rather saddened to realise that all the great parts of Scary Monsters were written years beforehand...

sunspot42, mcnof and karmaman like this.
  21. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Seems high time for a separate shipping thread, eh?

22. moomoomoomoo

My question on shipping is it solely an Amazon issue? It's so far looking that way.

23. moomoomoomoo

The HDT Thursday night email came out. The website is down, but based on the email it appears that they're not selling the blu-ray as a hi-res download (at least not this week):

"Divine Symmetry

David Bowie

16bit"

24. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Got to ask you how you were notified about the $70 sale / word-of-mouth, email, or ...? Thanks!

25. moomoomoomoo

I feel like I'm paying $77 with tax for a delayed release of 1 blu-ray as I would be perfectly happy with a download of the set (I'd actually be happier with a download, I have all of DB's 24 bit releases on a 128 gb flash drive; & I have no way to rip & split the blu-ray), but they're APPARENTLY not issuing the blu as a download (this is a first in the Bowie reissues).

bluedemon25 and sunspot42 like this.