The Beatles - Revolver - 2022 Remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deacon Blues, Aug 19, 2019.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I love the off-the-cuff rendition they did in '69.

2. I’ve always thought it was about a man who was dangerous and disturbed and I’ve been hearing it for 57 years. It’s like watching a movie with an anti-hero or a villain that does some nasty things. You can still enjoy the art for what it is and recognize what it is written about (or the pov) can be nasty.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Fair enough. I defer to you. Youve been listening to it longer than I have been alive :D

ODIrony, 2141 and wayneklein like this.
  4. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I beg to differ. The term "lousy" does not apply to "Run For Your Life," which is a lively and cheerful track with a nice melody and sung beautifully by John Lennon. It has all the elements of a great closing track and according to George Harrison, the Beatles had so much fun recording it. The musical elements that dominate the album"Rubber Soul" can be found aplenty on this track such as the bluesy lead guitar riff using the 1965 Rickenbackers, the folksy acoustic guitar sound that propels the song, and the vocal harmonies so characteristic of the middle-period Beatles sound. Notwithstanding the now-offensive lyrics, this closing track is musically a perfect closer for "Rubber Soul."

The Fact:
    You'd think that this closing track must be one of the more obvious last-minute fillers hastily thrown together before the "Rubber Soul" drop deadline, you are wrong! When you go to check Lewisohn's recording diary, though, you're surprised to find out that it was one of the first tracks recorded for the new album!

Let's just agree to disagree.....

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  5. I don’t think the lyric was ok even back in 1965. I still enjoy the song. It’s about a nasty person just like some of Randy Newman’s songs don’t reflect who he is. It’s still a Great closer even if the lyrics represent a nasty individual who is possessive and dangerous.

Dradge, DK Pete, elgoodo and 2 others like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Was this in the doc film? I dont recall seeing them do this. Funny ha.

7. AudiophilePhil

I agree the lyrics is not ok even back then but even more so today.

wayneklein likes this.
  8. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Agreed, Jimmy Stewart may have also played a murderous cowboy but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna stop watching It’s A Wonderful Life as a form of protest. That is unless they colorize the damn thing.

9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I was just listening to "Run For Your Life" earlier. It sounds like a good Stones track. The guitars are pretty raunchy and heavy. Even the acoustic has a lot of bite. Personally, I like it as a closer. Most Beatles albums up to that point end with a fun little John rocker. This was it. They knew what it was. Not everything had to be mind blowing.

Past Masters, theMess, Dradge and 6 others like this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I didn't say it was a lousy song. I like it. Just not a good album closer.

905, darealhighmay, DK Pete and 2 others like this.
  11. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Your answer to my Novello question is that you don't know. That's fine by me because I don't think there's a logical answer.

If they'd said "the most popular single" or "the best single" then OK, but the category is clearly "The "A" Side of the Record Issued in 1966 Which Achieved the Highest Certified British Sales".

I mentioned Billboard because it helps make the distinction berween the US chart situation where each side of the same single could chart and the UK chart system where only an A-side could chart.

Incidentally, the ONE compilation only used the Billboard chart as its US reference, so either song making number one on other US charts is of no consequence.

And the only reason for Eleanor Rigby being on ONE is that it was given shared A-side status on the UK double A-side.

In the UK only sales mattered. Radio airplay did not count.

Here's a link to Ivor Novello winners in the sixties :

List of Ivor Novello Award winners and nominees (1950s–1960s) - Wikipedia

I notice that for 1965 they did the same thing and made a random choice preferring We Can Work It Out to Day Tripper. This single was also a double A-side in the UK so both songs officially sold the same amount.

12. AudiophilePhil

It would sound pretentious and a lot lousier if the album ended with a slow and schmaltzy number.

13. They did colorize it unfortunately. Luckily, I don’t think it’s streaming. https://www.amazon.com/Wonderful-Life-Color-Roach-Classics/dp/B0001WDAX6

14. AudiophilePhil

100% agree!

Gila and wayneklein like this.
  15. Since Capitol had already messed with the line up, closing with Day Tripper would have been a better choice.

16. AudiophilePhil

But even Dave Dexter himself did not think about that idea.

17. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It wasn't his decision to make; The Beatles had made it clear to his boss Alan Livingston, there were to be no singles added to Rubber Soul.

theMess likes this.
  19. Wildest cat from montana

Surely you're not calling 'In My Life' schmaltzy?!

905, darealhighmay and Man at C&A like this.
  20. AudiophilePhil

I should have said the Capitol decision maker. I think George Martin mentioned that songs that were already released as singles should not be included in the album.

DK Pete likes this.
  21. AudiophilePhil

Don't get me wrong. I like "In My Life" as a song but it's not just right to make it as the album closer.

22. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

What Capitol should have done:

1. I've Just Seen A Face
    2. Norwegian Wood
    3. You Won't See Me
    4. Think For Yourself
    5. The Word
    6. Michelle
    1. Nowhere Man
    2. Girl
    3. I'm Looking Through You
    4. It's Only Love
    5. If I Needed Someone
    6. Yesterday

905 likes this.
  23. Wildest cat from montana

Why not?
    It's a beautiful song with a forward looking sense to it. Sophisticated and classy.
    A natural closer!

24. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Agree. The new SSSS is fantastic

Seltarb, Beatle Ed 2021 and Pythonman like this.
  25. Onder

Onder Senior Member

The problem is that the additional lead guitar (left channel in the remix) on She Said She Said was never meant to be heard isolated. George overdubbed it in order to enhance/complement the original lead guitar part, so any drop out in his playing was not a problem when both guitars were summed to mono. The problem arises when you split the guitars in stereo.
    The missing cymbal doesn't serve the song either.
    The rehearsal take reveals the great potential that is in the multitrack tape. Quite frustrating really as the drums sound fabulous on the outtake.