Black Friday Online Sales 2021

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by DapperGentleman, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

yep if i want Led Zeppelin, Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift, its a gold mine.

2. Benfica

Benfica Well-Known Member

3. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

In stores, Walmart has far more of a selection. Target, primarily, only stocks their “Exclusives”, and just a handful of titles outside of that. With Walmart, it’s about 50/50, exclusives vs regular stock.

Online, it’s about the same for both. I’ve found stuff that I wasn’t able to find anywhere else, and cheaper, than a lot of other retailers. That said, both will list stock for a lot of titles they don’t have on hand.

4. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Curious, can you give me a list, even partially, of the stuff you got from Target? Id like to look it up and compare.

5. DapperGentleman

DapperGentleman Forum Resident Thread Starter

A Thousand Arms is a cool specialty distributor and label that specializes in almost entirely instrumental post rock and ambient/experimental stuff. They also do lots of limited editions with elaborate packaging and colors. Their annual Black Friday sale starts tonight. From their Twitter:

Our annual Black Friday Cyber Monday Sale kicks off tonight at midnight eastern time (12:00 AM EST).

Almost every A Thousand Arms Music release will be marked down and you can save an additional 20% by using code ‘BFCM22’ at checkout (code is only valid for select A1KA Music releases).
    Many of our distro releases from other labels and bands will also be marked down.

Sale runs until midnight on Monday.

Thank you for all of your support in 2022.

Shop Here:
    www.athousandarms.com

zphage likes this.
  6. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

Blue note sale 30% off all vinyl

7. Swordsandchains

yeah but gotta spend $85+ to get free shipping…

8. Swordsandchains

yeah i went to 3 stores and it was all the same stuff Led Zeppelin, Ed Sheeran, Ozzy, Disney Soundtracks, Metallica, Billie Eilish, T Swift, and all other big selling artists.
    No Jazz, no non-mainstream metal or hard rock, etc. No Cannibal Corpse, no Slayer, no a Zappa, no Rush, no Savatage, no Motorhead, no armored saint, no Star One, etc etc but i can get all that at Target for 3for2

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

10. Swordsandchains

For the metalheads, 40% off and free cds and records. I highly recommend both Hexen albums, especially State of Insurgency, my favorite thrash album of the 00s.

M-Theory Audio - Store

wdiv likes this.
  11. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I returned to vinyl around 2007, after a 20-year hiatus and have built up a pretty solid collection. So, my classic rock, mainstream jazz, etc purchases are minimal at this point.

I mostly buy selected reissues, African, and relatively obscure stuff that is new to me. Some of the following list is probably outside the wheelhouse or acquired taste for most. To tell you the truth, I did not cross-reference any of these at Walmart before ordering at Target. That may have been worthwhile; I assumed they wouldn't have many of these and if they did, wouldn't be marked down. The point is moot now, of course..

Tinariwen - Aman Iman: Water Is Life (2 LP) (Vinyl)
    Nduduzo Makhathini - In the Spirit Of Ntu (LP) (Vinyl)
    Jerry Garcia - Garcia (50th Anniversary) (Gold Nugget 2 LP) (Vinyl)
    Pharoah Sanders - Karma (Verve Acoustic Sounds Series) (LP) (Vinyl)
    Wilco - Cruel Country (Vinyl)
    Hank Mobley - Curtain Call (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) (LP) (Vinyl)
    Lee Scratch Perry - King Scratch (Vinyl) 4LP + 4CD
    Ernesto Djedje - Le Roi Du Ziglibithy (Vinyl)
    Tinariwen - Imidiwan: Companions (LP) (Vinyl)
    AFRICAN HEAD CHARGE - Voodoo Of The Godsent (Vinyl)
    AFRICAN HEAD CHARGE - Vision Of A Psychedelic Africa (Vinyl)
    AFRICAN HEAD CHARGE - In Pursuit Of Shashamane Land (Vinyl)
    AFRICAN HEAD CHARGE - Songs Of Praise (Vinyl)
    Donald Byrd - Live: Cookin' With Blue Note At Montreux July 5, 1973 (LP) (Vinyl)
    Son House - Forever On My Mind (LP) (Vinyl)
    AFRICAN HEAD CHARGE - Return Of The Crocodile (Vinyl)
    AFRICAN HEAD CHARGE - Churchical Chant Of The Iyabinghi (Vinyl)
    SOUL JAZZ RECORDS PRESENTS – Nigeria soul power 70: afro funk rock disco (Vinyl)
    Mathias Eick - Skala (Vinyl)
    Mathias Eick - Midwest (LP) (Vinyl)
    Bjorn Meyer - Provenance (LP) (Vinyl)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  12. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Thanks! Just picked up a couple of albums on my wishlist there.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  13. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Not in a Target store, you can’t.

I’ve seen Rush and even Motörhead at Walmart, but why would you ever expect them to carry non-mainstream Metal at store locations? You can get almost every single other artist you listed through their online site, though. Only one I couldn’t find was Star One, so clearly, you’ve never checked their online site.

14. Swordsandchains

i have checked Walmarts site my point was that none of those titles were $15 online making the Walmart $15 vinyl deal better than target. Yeah cheaper records at walmart but the 3 for 2 sale at target which is also online has way more options than walmarts in store only sale.

if people just want $15 records because they were $15 instead of $35+ thats fine. I picked up some from walmart myself but even i had to put the new Ozzy album back, its not worth $15, or any dollars for that matter.

15. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I checked about half of the artists on your list at Walmart online, and they’re there. Maybe it would have been worth your while to have checked while the sale was on, but as you say, it’s a moot point now. Reality is both retailers only stock a select amount of titles for their stores, and everything after that comes from one-stop distributors.

16. Swordsandchains

walmart $15 record sale was online for their exclusives and in store for all records. It wasnt all records online or in store for $15.

17. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I don’t but that, or you wouldn’t have said what you said, so your credibility is a bit blown. Even if it were true, I can only surmise you didn’t check while the sale was on.

18. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Not so. There were a number of titles that weren’t their exclusives, more than you might have thought.

19. Swordsandchains

you dont buy what?

20. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Most of your initial statements about Walmart versus Target were incorrect or you changed your story on them, so what you say doesn’t carry a lot of weight.

21. Swordsandchains

I see we are at odds here and you wont agree that there is way more options right now for Targets 3for2 sale versus Walmarts $15 sale. If i couldve bought everything i bought i did at Target this week for $15 at Walmart than I would’ve but thats not possible.

but i guess if i wanted the new Hendrix, Michael Jackson Thriller 40, or Nirvana In Utero non-exclusives for $15 online i could have but again, all the popular stuff for $15.

my story is the same, Targets sale beats Walmarts, hands down.

riverrat likes this.
  22. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Nice to see the breadth of SHF on display.
    At one end peeps arguing over $$$ one-steps, and at the other it's Walmart v. Target.
    :righton:

Patanoia, Fox67, dee and 4 others like this.
  23. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I’ll give you this - we’re also looking at it from different perspectives. With Target’s sale, you have to spend more to save money, which is what they ultimately want. With Walmart’s sale, you just saved money, period. Also with money being no object, which it doesn’t appear to be to you based on many of the items you spent money on, then it doesn’t really matter. However if you don’t have a disposable income, your choices are limited more by how much you can afford to spend to begin with. In your case, it doesn’t really matter how much you spent, because you only see it as getting savings if you don’t have to factor in spending more to get them. From my point of view, saving money right off the bat is always going to win over having to spend more money to get a deal.

In other words - saving $10 to $35 off by spending only $15 = > having to spending $50 to $70 to save $25 to $35. So really, which is the better deal? The one where you get savings right away, or the one where you have to make more purchases to get any savings at all?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    karloffsidekick likes this.
  24. Swordsandchains

completely different perspectives lol Targets sale allows me to get stuff ive wanted all year and most likely for the best deal to be had. I definitely bought too much but its mostly stuff on my list thats come out, about to come out, or coming out in january, so it just makes sense to order it now. But this means ill be taking a bit of time off buying come January.

and the walmart deal is no doubt a great deal if buying in the moment, like i said i even bought 5 lps, including 3 metallica to round out my collection. Walmart is the better deal from a pure money standpoint and Target is better deal from the wide selection standpoint.

Rocketdog likes this.
  25. mmart1

mmart1 Forum Resident

Compass Records Group has a bunch of stuff on sale. I just picked up 5 Colin Hay LPs from $15 to $17 each. Free shipping if you order 5+ items using code BLACKFRIDAY.

Store - Compass Records

mur, SJP and cowboy72 like this.