Alice Cooper - The Studio Albums 69-83 Box Set *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VinylRichieUK, Nov 24, 2022.

1. VinylRichieUK

VinylRichieUK Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's been almost 8 years since this set was released, but it sells for silly money now.

Do you think we'll ever see it get a re-release?

I only ever liked his late 80's albums and 3 or 4 of his 70's albums, but I've started to listen to the other albums and really want this set.

Is the mastering any good on it?

Also, are any of the albums remastered in the 2 original album series box sets, and if not, is the mastering good on those?

Might have to get those 2 sets if I don't find the bigger box soon at a fair price.

2. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Typo in your post heading. It’s 83, not 93. He’s been on several other labels since leaving Warner Brothers in 1983 - MCA, Epic and more since - so it would require multiple labels coordinating their licensing to do a proper career retrospective box set.

As for your other question, that I know of, only a few of his albums have received a proper remastering, but those were individually issued. There were also some of the classic Alice Cooper (group) albums that got remastered by Audio Fidelity, but those were individual releases as well. As for this box set, I don’t think any of the titles are remastered. The two other Original Album Series box sets are not remastered, either. They and the 69 - 83 box set are likely identical mastering, which would be the same as the individual releases of those albums that are already out there.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    mikmcmee and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I am the opposite, of Alice's eras I only DON'T like the late 80's.

mikmcmee, bigsled, SonicBob and 4 others like this.
  4. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

This is overkill for me. I would only be interested in Love It — Billion or Muscle, but wouldn’t expect a set like that ever to emerge.

mikmcmee likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the life and crimes of alice cooper boxset covered every label he was on up until 2000

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id love to see deluxe Alice Cooper sets. With demos and such. Live. The whole shabang.

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

8. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

im surprised they havent gone this route, they could’ve done 50th box versions for 3 worthy albums already and another 2 next year, and id be on em all

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You know Alice Cooper always seems to me like one of the more approachable rock stars. I wonder if he has someway to contact him? I bet he would like to hear from fans on the deluxe set ideas.

10. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

True, but you’re talking licensing a handful of songs there. Not complete albums, which is what the OP was more concerned with. I’m not saying it couldn’t be done. But there’d be a lot more money to all the versions parties involved that likely wouldn’t make it cost effective.

11. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Speaking as someone who has met hit about a dozen times, he is very approachable. I’ve broached that very subject, but the answer I got was along the lines of “sounds cool, but it’s not up to me”. Never say never, though.

12. moops

moops Senior Member

Well the Cheap Trick box finally got reissued this year or last year, so it’s possible. How patient are you ?

Matthew Tate and VinylRichieUK like this.
  13. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I would love to see the 1980-84 years get a box set of their own (with Monster Dog material) plus outtakes, if any do exist. A very fertile and weird period in his discography with his magnum opus Dada topping it off.

14. VinylRichieUK

Yeah I noticed that, I was in bed and almost asleep when I posted it on my phone, but unfortunately I can't change it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. VinylRichieUK

Not very. Lol I'll end up getting the 2 smaller sets for Christmas.

Matthew Tate and moops like this.
  16. moops

moops Senior Member

Yeah, me neither. :D

VinylRichieUK likes this.
  17. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I can agree with this. I thought Hey Stoopid, in 1991, was still in the vein of Constrictor, Raise and Trash. But, I thought he came back with a very strong run with The Last Temptation, Brutal Planet and Dragontown.

18. bigsled

bigsled Forum Resident

The original Warner 70's Alice is some of the best sounding cd's I have.

I don't care for post 1980 sober/solo Alice material except for seeing him live 5 ,times in the last 8 years.
    The two era's are not even the same music imo.

mikmcmee and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's available on streaming Alice Cooper - The Studio Albums 1969-1983 (148 tracks 9 1/2 hours of music).

20. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

These are all Warners so I could see some sort of rerelease again. The small boxes are cheap so that might be the way to go. I find almost all Alice entertaining.

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Ask a Gort to change it :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Re: masterings of Studio Albums 1969-1983 box set. The first two albums - Pretties & Easy Action - were remastered by Bill Inglot & Ken Perry some years before this, and they're the ones used for the box set. (Why they remastered a couple of runts from the musical litter, and nothing else, is a complete mystery.) They are overly loud. Billion Dollar Babies uses Ezin's remaster for the 2001 deluxe BDB. It sounds good. The rest of the albums were not remastered, but they all sound great. No compression. Just dial up the volume a tad. (Strangely, they didn't use Ezrin's 2002 Welcome To My Nightmare remaster.) I'm not aware that any differnt masterings were used for the 5-CD sets.

I can't see Warners re-releasing this. There are, apparently, finished remasters (with 'bonus' material) of School's Out and one other of the Ezrin-produced band albums, which have languished in the can for a couple of years now. I wonder if they are waiting for BDB's 50th anniversary next year? Especially since there's a band reunion album on the horizon for 2023. Tie it all together?!

Although Alice (and the surviving original band members) can't control what Warners do, I don't see why the Cooper camp - esp 'management' - couldn't get more involved re the 'legacy' if they really wanted to. They just seem indifferent though. Pity.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The Warner/Atlantic box is easy--everything under the same parent umbrella, no licensing required. They could do a box reissue, but CDs are dying and it didn't sell out that quickly when it was available.

Unlikely they'd spend the time and money to try to cross license the post WEA stuff.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. VinylRichieUK

How do I do that?

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You can IM one of the gorts, or you can report the thread and ask for the title to be edited. I actually just did that for ya :)

VinylRichieUK likes this.