The Cure's "Wish" finally get the deluxe edition treatment. Track listing on page 20!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Apr 13, 2018.

1. dagobah

dagobah Forum Resident

You are correct about the vinyl records . . . . . you can't play them in the car now! Same with me concerning what you said about streaming and iTunes. Almost every day, I am working on buying, importing and organizing my iTunes library. I listen to my iPOD playlists at the gym, running around town or hiking in the Grand Teton/Yellowstone wilderness.

Concerning the Wish era . . . . . I wish we had live versions of the following Wish era tracks but the band never performed them live in concert: A Foolish Arrangement, Halo, Play, Scared As You

tedg65, JeffMo and Pop_Zeus like this.
  2. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

I have the release in my hands as of typing. Etching on the dead wax says:
    "MILES. ABBEY ROAD. ROOM 30."
    Yes, pressed at Pallas.

3. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Awesome! How does it sound?

4. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

So in the US it's just the picture disk that's released today?

I can't believe they sell many of those. Who likes picture disks? They almost always sound like crap.

Leugi likes this.
  5. houseofglass83

houseofglass83 Forum Resident

Haven’t received my cd or vinyl yet. But I did some a/b’ing back and forth on Spotify between the original version and the remaster. The remaster seems to have slightly more clarity and a bit quieter. The original has more low end. Really though it’s no sonic revelation. The album sounded good as it was. I think by about 1992 modern production value had started to plateau a bit. Albums from back then generally don’t benefit that much from remastering.

TongueDruid likes this.
  6. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

The finished mix should have had about 70% less Porl wah wah guitar, honestly the album is just smothered with it.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  7. Suggy Bop Bop

Suggy Bop Bop Your advert could be here.

I love the guitar heavy stuff, to me it was an album they'd been waiting years to make.

8. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

Does the new LP cover have the wrong red and blue as what we get digitally too or is it closer to the original in the flesh?

9. houseofglass83

I love the guitar heavy vibe of Wish too. I think it fit perfectly with the alternative and shoegaze of the time.

10. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Yep! I just DL'ed the Amazon Music HD streaming file for the new remaster (why is it only 16/44.1kHz?!) and A/B'ed it versus the original U.S. Elektra/Fiction CD and you're right, they definitely bumped up the high-mids & lowered some mid-bass, for clarity's sake. So it's good in one regard, that it overall sounds a bit clearer, BUT that high-mid bump gets a little grating on the ears at times, compared to the old CD. I could imagine the '22 as being a bit more fatiguing in the long haul, as a result. I also miss some of the mid-bass of the original, as even though that area can tend to muddy up a master a bit, it also carries the "weight" of the vocals (not to mention other instruments,) so the remaster lacks some thickness and realism in vocals that the original has. ALSO the remaster has extra limiting applied compared to the original, by up to 4 dB in a certain spot or two (but usually only 1 or 2 dB for the most part.) Not offensively so, since it's only catching some transients here & there, and limiter's set with such fast attack/release it's not audible, so the master isn't brickwalled by any means or even sounding "louder" dynamically as a result, just perceived a little "louder" at times cuz of that high-mid boost.
    Another thing of note: the vocals on the original has some sibilance here & there, but the remaster seems to have quashed that a good amount, so they must've used a de-esser on the master, maybe even to also try & combat the overall more-strident high-mid presence on the new one.

So anywho, you're right it's certainly no revelation in EQ, although some people may prefer it to the original, depending on their playback system. And even though it's not much audible, it's technically/measurably less dynamic, so that's a strike against it. BUT again, the only very hearable difference worth noting is that the new one sounds a bit clearer/brighter than the original, so you're listening system will likely dictate which one you prefer...

I'm assuming the new vinyl was cut from that same new digital master? I have an original '92 Greek pressing of this album, but it sounds very alike the original CD, just a touch "darker" so it's more crankable, to me.

11. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

I've had my first listening round. Sounds open and dynamic. Also a good volume cut, not too quiet. Pressing is flawless, very quiet vinyl, no QC issues with my copy.

12. houseofglass83

Very very well said. You nailed it. I didn’t know there was any difference in the original pressings. Is that Greek one worth seeking out?

steviej and TongueDruid like this.
  13. TongueDruid

Welp, I got it years ago for $50 and it's worth that to me, but I just looked and I don't see any on sale for less than $100... It could very well be just the CD master pressed onto wax, but somebody (likely the cutting engineer) definitely lowered a little of that "poky" EQ, in comparison, maybe just to avoid any cartridge distortion, so it's a lil' more crankable in that regard.

14. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Me too. But most download codes go unredeemed apparently , so many releases no longer include them.

15. dagobah

dagobah Forum Resident

Alright, this is ridiculous. What the hell do these acronyms mean?
    houseofglass83 typed => a/b’ing
    TongueDruid typed => A/B'ed
    Please, just spell out whatever it is . . . . . . so the rest of us understand what you are expressing.

16. TongueDruid

A/B testing means to compare two things against eachother... As in: Exhibit A versus Exhibit B

17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Unbelievable that Robert Smith is a mastering engineer now. But is he as good as Bernie Grundman? :D

18. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The new 30th Anniversary edition is at least partially remixed, not merely remastered. Check the missing slap in “High”

perhaps a stereo downmix of the 5.1?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  19. houseofglass83

A/B’ing literally means to A/B something. IME I’ve never encountered someone who didn’t know what that meant but YMMV. Anyways I’ll ttyl, ty.

akmonday, obi and TongueDruid like this.
  20. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

CD set came in, wasn’t it supposed to have the usual slipcover?

21. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

I've found that more recent Deluxe Editions don't have the slipcover. They usually have a label instead that looks the same, but this release doesn't even have the label.

Lars Medley likes this.
  22. houseofglass83

Damn that’s annoying that it advertises the slipcase or label and has neither.

23. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Honestly, who cares about a missing slipcase when there is missing audio?

Pop_Zeus, tedg65 and c-eling like this.
  24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

What doesn IME and YMMV stand for?

25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I don't think the black vinyl had the general release (looks like January?) but my Udiscover pre-order shipped.