What are your favourite horror films?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lettheflamesbegin, Aug 16, 2021.

1. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

Night of the Eagle (1962) - video Dailymotion

Tim S and 64FALCON like this.
  2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I'd need a 3D TV. Maybe sometime in the future. I think old 3D movies would be a hoot.

[​IMG]

My all-region Blu-ray player is hooked up (quite complicated, given some of my other equipment). I just have to test it. No instructions were included on how to switch regions. I had to look it up on line. I understand these players, though sold through Amazon, are are modified by a third party. But it wouldn't kill them to toss in a piece of paper informing the buyer about how to make the switch.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

X really creeped me out and it was DIFFERENT....
    [​IMG]

wolfram, Carl80 and Chrome_Head like this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Haven't seen this but isn't that Jenny Ortega from the new Netflix series 'Wednesday'?

5. Michael

yes, Jenna...

6. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Just Finished watching the og Dawn of the Dead with my daughter and her commentary was Legendary.
    One of my favorites.

yesstiles likes this.
  7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Isn’t that Mia Goth?

8. Michael

yes, where did I get the other actress? I'm confused! : )

9. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

I prefer Pearl to X. Nice character study with a great performance. Mia Goth is fantastic.

Scott57 and finslaw like this.
  10. lettheflamesbegin

lettheflamesbegin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some good ones this year:

Scream 5
    The Black Phone
    Barbarian
    X
    Nope
    Terrifier 2

I have yet to see Pearl

11. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

rewatched The Stepfather (1987) yesterday, nice flick. It's free on several streaming platforms like Tubi by the way.

The Cat 3 likes this.
  12. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I think Pearl is even better than X, which I loved. The movie is basically a showcase for Mia Goth, but she delivers, especially with a heartbreaking monologue near the end of the film (not really a spoiler, I think). I also loved Orphan: First Kill, which I wasn't expecting.

Scott57 likes this.
  13. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Do we go by era, style, studio, monster, or...? :D

Lemme see if I can break my favorites down a bit categorically. Please note; the films are listed by order of personal preference.

Silent Horror: Nosferatu, Phantom Of The Opera, The Man Who Laughs, The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari.

Universal Horror 1930s: The Invisible Man, Frankenstein, Spanish Dracula, The Black Cat, Son Of Frankenstein, Bride Of Frankenstein, Dracula's Daughter, The Mummy.

Other 1930s horror: Mad Love, King Kong, White Zombie, Mystery Of The Wax Museum, The Most Dangerous Game.

Universal Horror 1940s: The Wolfman, The Invisible Man Returns, Man Made Monster, Night Monster, The Mad Ghoul. Guilty pleasures; Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, (1st horror movie I ever saw), & House Of Frankenstein.

Other 1940s horror: Cat People, The Uninvited, The Return Of The Vampire, (best Universal Horror film Universal never made), I Walked With A Zombie, The Undying Monster, Strangler Of The Swamp, (best PRC film ever, very atmospheric), Dead Of Night.

1950s horror, excluding Hammer: Creature From The Black Lagoon, The Werewolf, The Return Of Dracula, 20 Million Miles To Earth, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Them, The Creature Walks Among Us, Revenge Of The Creature, The Vampire.

1950s Hammer: The Revenge Of Frankenstein, The Mummy, Horror Of Dracula, The Curse Of Frankenstein, The Hound Of The Baskervilles.

1960s Hammer: Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed. The Two Faces Of Dr Jekyll, Brides Of Dracula, Dracula Prince Of Darkness, Curse Of The Werewolf, Phantom Of The Opera, Frankenstein Created Woman, Taste The Blood Of Dracula.

Other 1960s horror: Night Of The Living Dead, Carnival Of Souls, the AIP Poe films, favorite is The Raven, though it's more a comedy. Frankenstein's Bloody Terror, American title of The Mark Of The Wolfman, Paul Naschy's 1st Count Waldermar Daninsky flick.

1970s Hammer: Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde, Vampire Circus , Hands Of The Ripper, The Vampire Lovers, Twins Of Evil, Frankenstein & The Monster From Hell, The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires.

Other 1970s horror: Phantom Of The Paradise, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Exorcist, Theater Of Blood, Dawn Of The Dead, Suspira, Halloween, The Other, Sisters, Carrie, The Werewolf Vs The Vampire Women, Dr Jekyll & The Wolfman. Might do the 80s on in another post, that's enough for now. And yes, that's as narrow as I can break it down to personal favorites!

14. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I still have to see Pearl. I loved X and I’m excited to see more of the character. Last year was pretty excellent for horror. X, Nope, Men, the new Hellraiser, Barbarian, Hatching, Crimes of the Future, all excellent.

Horror is my favorite genre. I could spend all day listing favorite movies. I’ll just say that Texas Chainsaw is my favorite overall, and my top 2 of the last decade are The Blackcoat’s Daughter and The Eyes of My Mother

15. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Frogs (1972)

The Cat 3 and Jimi Bat like this.
  16. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

And somehow Nope didn't nominated for anything, much less Best Picture (but Avatar, Elvis & Top Gun did) and Mia Goth didn't get a nomination for Pearl.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  17. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Horror never gets the respect it should. I thought maybe the Oscars turned a corner when Get Out got a handful of nominations but apparently not :(
    In my ideal world, Bones and All would sweep the next Oscars. It’s not horror but it’s at least horror adjacent and I’m convinced that’s why it didn’t get a single nomination

finslaw likes this.
  18. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Mia Goth's monologue near the end of Pearl is astonishing. She should have been nominated for something, just for that scene.

Scott57 and finslaw like this.
  19. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

One of my favorite horror movie posters of all time.

64FALCON and Dam like this.
  20. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I watched "The Ninth Gate" yesterday and liked it a lot.

Johnny Depp was fine in a serious role, as was the rest of the cast. The story was interesting and the ending had an ethereal quality.

In fact, the whole "Euro" vibe and locations gave the film a certain feel that was a perfect match to its subject.

unclefred and bluearmy78 like this.
  21. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Today I'm heavy into Jean Rollin's The Shiver of the Vampires. Psychedelic bourgeois hippy sapphic vampires with a kind of free form progressive garage band soundtrack.

Crungy and Bluesman Mark like this.
  22. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

I'm watching Scream and Scream Again from 1970. A jogger winds up in the hospital and every time he wakes up, finds another limb has been amputated. With Vincent Price. One of my dad's favorites!

unclefred, 64FALCON and Bluesman Mark like this.
  23. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I know it's sick but that always used to make me laugh.