SH Spotlight Pressing and mastering quality of Creedence Clearwater Revival albums*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexbunardzic, Jun 5, 2017.

1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Did you/are you able to... give it a solid clean? Sometimes mint unplayed vinyl does that to me.

2. pabs

pabs Well-Known Member

It seems to increase as down on the corner begins ….especially in the left channel. The record looks clean, so I guess I never gave much thought to giving it a thorough cleaning (at least I don’t remember one). As down on the corner ends the hiss seems to go away and is less noticeable (maybe not even there anymore) but it is definitely noticeable on down on the corner. Maybe a deep cleaning would help. Not enough time now but I’ll give it a thorough listen tomorrow and report back. Thanks guys!

beccabear67 likes this.
  3. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

My original press of “Willy” is the same. I attribute it to RCA hissy vinyl. I have a few other RCA pressings that do the same thing.

McLover likes this.
  4. pabs

pabs Well-Known Member

Glad to hear I am not alone….I gave mine a good cleaning tonight and sounds the same. Left channel is worse but can hear surface noise or hiss or whatever you want to call it in both channels. Might need to just try for another copy. It almost completely seems to disappear after “down on the corner concludes”. Almost completely gone in right channel, faint but still present in left channel. When i flip to side two “fortunate son” sounds terrible too….tons of surface noise and hiss. And on this side it seems to linger throughout. Any suggestions on what to look for or stay away from when acquiring a different copy? The remasters look to be pretty expensive nowadays, eh? Thanks all!

beccabear67 likes this.
  5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

While some of my Fantasy pressing are very good, for consistency the AP issues can’t be beat. Those lp’s and SACD’s are my go to versions.
    If you want a real experience find someone who has The Tape Project issue of Willie and the Poor Boys and have a listen. It’s mind bending.

pabs likes this.
  6. pabs

pabs Well-Known Member

The AP vinyls that I have seen are going for around $100. If a guy wanted a good shot to find a decent sounding copy for closer to say…the $20 range what should he look for?

7. pabs

pabs Well-Known Member

I would love an AP copy if they weren’t so expensive.

what is the half speed mastered issue like? Done at abbey road studio by Miles showell. Looks to be about $30.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve, all the Creedence pressings I ever saw from the blue label and brown label era, and the Green 45 RPM pressings through early Brown label pressings were all pressed by RCA Victor in their plants, I have seen pressings from "H" (Hollywood, California) and "R" (Rockaway, New Jersey plants.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I would imagine that any Circle Records pressings of the first CCR album are probably in a batch of only a few thousand. Very rare.

And it's possible that since Susie Q was already a minor hit on 45, they first LP press might have only been from RCA, bypassing the local Circle Records deal completely...

caravan70 and McLover like this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Likely that Circle Records pressing batch was for radio stations, and local area customers if extant.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Could be, at least Northern CA cities.

12. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Tape Project seems to have gone under. The website is non-functional past the home page.

I do have a Staple Singers tape from them that is excellent.

13. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I had this two-fer from the late 70's and it sounded excellent. I sold it after I got the AP box set.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival 1969

Also, the early 80's ORC reissues that I heard were good as well.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Willy And The Poor Boys

14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

They are not gone, Doc b is out and Paul is retired however they occasionally will produce some of the titles while a license is still valid.

15. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Tape Project has gone nuts and jacked up the tapes to $500. The CCR is still out of stock. Stage Fright was $450 last week.

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Surprised to see this thread still open. Cool. :)

Decided to spin my Analogue Productions pressings of CCR. Fun stuff but...

Why does Green River sound so much worse? Great material but the SQ difference was jarring, to say the least. Since Kevin Gray and our host mastered it from the master tapes, I'm guessing this is as good as these songs will ever sound?... or is perhaps an original US pressing possibly slightly better (maybe due to fresher master tapes)?

Love the songs but disappointed with how that sound is likely baked into the recording. The first album was ridiculously nice sounding. Deep, warm, inviting, organic... Green River (in comparison to the S/T) sounded abrasive and sharp.

DK Pete likes this.
  17. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

This thread explains it a bit

CCR Master Tapes Question for Steve

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Agreed on all counts. Green River sounds very dull to my ears. No crispness in the acoustic guitars, no snap in the drums and muddy sounding bass. It’s a bit better on CD than vinyl,IMO.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  19. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Realized last night that I don't have the first three CCR records and my wife was rightfully disappointed. So now I'm on the hunt, despite seeing these records in bins for years, for nice copies. Figured I'd take my usual first step and see what the forum members thought was the best pressing(s).

I'm still a little unclear, but I think what I want are OGs, though my understanding is the 80s ORC pressings are...better?