Affordable Record Brush ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SonOFJames, Nov 25, 2022.

1. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

What is a plasma lighter? Just hearing this makes me want one!

2. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

3. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Not the brush but the plastic. The bristles are short, so I once angled it and ended up making contact with the plastic case on the surface of the record.

Big Blue likes this.
  4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Ah, that makes sense. I’d be nervous to use one with shorter bristles, for that reason.

The one I use now is actually metal, but the bristles are long enough I’m not worried.

matrix-6 likes this.
  5. ThinWhiteDuke

ThinWhiteDuke Forum Resident

el cheapo cheap no name carbon brush that is starting to look tired and going bald in places :D

Jimi Floyd and matrix-6 like this.
  6. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

That is me, I guess.

The Ortofon is a nice carbon fiber brush, I suggested the Boundless because I got the impression the OP was looking for low-cost options.

The Ortofon is stiffer and will create more drag, so you do want a pretty torque turntable if you're cleaning very dust albums with it (like the first time they're cleaned).

aorecords likes this.
  7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the Audio Technica is the ONLY brush, pad, or other doo dad that actually works!

8. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I just took delivery of an Ursa Major brush with a black ash handle, $60 delivered. I like the wide pad So far I found it far more effective than my Gold AQ carbon fiber brush. You have to have a light touch because you can easily bring the record and platter to a dead stop. Another thing I found is I just can't roll it from front to back and lift it straight up as the manufacturer describes. I found that leaves a large line of debris behind on the record's surface. Instead I found that it works best when I roll it front to back. When I get to the last free rows of cotton fiber I slide the brush off the record (away from the label). This is similar to the way you use the AQ gold carbon fiber brush. So far it does a better job the the AQ brush. About twice as good at twice the price, that works for me

9. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

That serial number probably adds another $50 to the price.

10. C10

C10 eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die

Except for this one: Thunderon Conductive Record Brush

I prefer it over any others I tried

11. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

I just recently purchased a MusicNomad Next Level Vinyl Record Cleaning kit. It's $20, and it works great. It looks like a hairbrush but it absolutely removes all the dust. The only complaint I see on Amazon is they don't sell the cleaning fluid separately from the brush kit. :shrug: