300B Amps - Are they really the best?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zeitlos, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

some premium iron right there

2. Pata

Pata Forum Resident

So here’s my 300b, it’s a Japanese Sound Explorer SL-770, point to point wiring and full Tango transformers, now using Shuguang we300b tubes.

What I have never found out is when where these produced, if someone has more info let me know.
    [​IMG]
    Regards

3. Jaytor

Jaytor DIY Enthusiast

Nice! Bet that sounds beautiful.

jonwoody likes this.
  4. andrewrona

andrewrona Well-Known Member

WHAT A CRACKER, wow.

jonwoody likes this.
  5. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Love it. I like the Japanese build mindset. Simple , top notch transformers, usually point to point

Nice amp

6. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Gorgeous amp has a vaguely Luxman look to me.

7. zeitlos

zeitlos Music was my first love Thread Starter

Thank you for reporting back! Yes, this amp is really phenomenal and so to speak a bargain. There‘s a reason why it has sold so many times! Over all those years!

No matter how it ends with my 300B plans, the Unison Simply Italy will always be here since it‘s incredibly good.

Oddiofyl, jonwoody and andrewrona like this.
  8. andrewrona

andrewrona Well-Known Member

Cool , me too, surprisingly it responds to my balanced audio transformer with great effect opening up the soundstage further and banishing a slight hardness. not like other amps i have/ had which preferred direct from the wall.

zeitlos likes this.
  9. Cougar

Cougar Forum Resident

I finished building my Transcendent Sound Masterpiece 300b preamp and all I can say is the most awesome sounding preamp I have had in my system. I had BAT VK-30 and did try out a TOTL Audio Research preamp back in the early 2000's that cost over $8k new as well as listening to some really high-end expensive preamps and amps. This MP with its 300b's has better them all by a long shot.

I have always heard how nice the 300b tubes were in power amps but never really got a chance to try one in my system. Just amazed at nice they sound.

I'm running Northern Electric 12AU7's and JJ 300b's. The preamp has only been running for about 15 hrs. but it just keeps opening up as it breaking in.

Now I want to try different 300b's once this preamp is totally broke in.

jonwoody, jusbe, Oddiofyl and 3 others like this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

Play this whole "On the Night" album in your 300b and you can thank me later! :-plnktn-:

zeitlos likes this.
  11. Classic Car Guy

Lets get this guy @neubian with his amp and see if he can share some opinion with his Parallel SE Mono's.. :-plnktn-:

12. zeitlos

If everything works out as planed, my 300b amp should be in its final stages which means production should be done by the end of this week. Exciting times :)

Oddiofyl, jusbe and Jaytor like this.
  13. Classic Car Guy

My new amp just got shipped today. Yes Sir..! hopefully I get it before new year.:tiphat:

zeitlos, Oddiofyl and Jaytor like this.
  14. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Awesome. Please follow up with pics and impressions

jusbe, zeitlos and Classic Car Guy like this.
  15. Classic Car Guy

Definitely will... Quite a while to design and make it. He's rather busy. Knowing Mr. Ahn, its worth every time spent! The 300b amp he built me 2 years ago. Nothing I can say but I love that amp. He takes a lot of pride designing it in his head.
    I forgot to get another set of these from him for backup.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    jonwoody, zeitlos and Oddiofyl like this.
  16. Classic Car Guy

If I hit the lotto next year, maybe I can afford to buy WE300b tubes. I have a feeling those tubes will sound very 3d bright, mid-rangey.. which is perfect match for the telefunken 12at7 preamp tube that I stashed that sounds warm and full of life.
    The PSvane on the left picture sound mid-rangey with mid bass dynamics. Still have lots of bass while the Acme has the warmth, more bass extension. Its perfect when I put a black plate (bright sounding) preamp tube like an old Raytheon or RCA.

[​IMG]

jonwoody and zeitlos like this.
  17. zeitlos

I do have the WE300B tubes. I just don‘t have an amp ;) So what‘s more frustrating/tragic? ;)

jonwoody, jusbe and Nascimento Brasil like this.
  18. Classic Car Guy

I need 4 to run my amp. That's where it gets expensive..:sweating:

bdmcn71 and zeitlos like this.
  19. Classic Car Guy

Mind blowing to listen to any amp. Enjoy it on a 300B.

andrewrona likes this.
  20. zeitlos

Okay, I see!

P.S. I really like that song!

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  21. Classic Car Guy

On the internet radio, I listen to a lot of music in Dutsch and I also like the station called Berlin 1. Many nights on winter last year, I been recording lots of music from all over the world. Trying to find someone that can sing like Falco (Viennese-English). I really like his singing style and definitely miss his music.
    According to the Bolland brothers. Falco is one of the few singers in almost any occasions, he can put his emotions into the track and that's what made him so special.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    zeitlos likes this.
  22. zeitlos

Cool. Interesting that you know Falco. He is very unique. And he was (besides Nena I suppose) the only German spekaing artist (Austrian), who made it to the top of the US charts. At least I cannot think of anyone else.

The other one who was successful once was Nena. Her song has just been covered again:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  23. zeitlos

btw There have always been German musicians who were successful in Germany (and/or German speaking countries), but not really internationally ;) E.g. Westernhagen:

Edit: Okay, we do have the Scorpions and also Alphaville ;)

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  24. Classic Car Guy

This is one of the live performance that he really pours his emotions in his songs...

zeitlos likes this.
  25. Chris81

Chris81 Teckel fool

jusbe likes this.