CBC music library sale

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by winged creature, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident Thread Starter

The cbc is having a music sale for all employees, vinyl for $1 and cd's for $2. Anything that i should look out for, cause im sure they will have some really old stuff.

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

For this sale, are they selling off their current retail stock or are they clearing out their own music library?

3. winged creature

There cleaning out there whole music library, i think they digitized everything, and the physical cd's and vinyl are on sale now.

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

You guys have a ton of employees. I'm sure George Strombolopolus picked out the good stuff already.:D

5. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Yeah...but he's mainly a blues collector....

6. winged creature

It starts on Monday so nobody has gotten any of it just yet, and I dont work there but my buddy does so he gave me the heads up. Later there gonna sell some of there audio equipment for deep discount.

7. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

That's unbelievable. The CBC used to be very proud of their extensive and historic music library. They must have literally tons of shellac, vinyl, tapes and CDs of everything imaginable, dating from the present to the advent of recorded sound. Many private music libraries, such as the late Clyde Gilmore's, were donated to them. It's the closest thing there is to a national repository of recorded sound. If they're clearing it out, this is a massive mistake, IMO. I'm certain that they will regret it in the future.

Do they need the space or is the Queen Street crowd just too hip for anything but digital files these days? :)

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Hey, since my tax dollars fund the CBC, should they be giving it out free to all Canadians?;)

9. winged creature

I dont know exactly what there getting rid of, but from what I'm told there cleaning out there library. After that there gonna sell there vintage audio gear, wonder if there will be anything good.

10. IMHO this is nuts. It's like a library having a book bonfire because they'd scanned every volume in the stacks. A very short-sighted move.

11. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

If they are digitizing everything then selling the source, doesn't this mean they are breaking copyright laws?

12. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

:laugh:

13. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

This is more a Music news item than a third party sale :(

A local CBC announcer with an eclectic weekend morning program, often announces he has been digging "in the cavernous CBC record library" to find some obscure record a listener has requested.

When he can't find it in Halifax, he actually checks across country and sometime gets the music from another CBC location.

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

What happens when their hard drives crash?

Evan

15. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Is there any possibility for non-employees to attend??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.