The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power Amazon TV Show*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by omikron, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

He was the main reason I stuck with it. An immensely interesting (and brilliant) actor. He was in only 6 episodes of Game of Thrones and I still think about him often.

MrCJF likes this.
  2. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I've never watched GoT, I saw some publicity and knew it was going to be OTT sex and violence. Not something I can commit to watching for series after series. I really loved the Song of Ice and Fire books, though. But they had an enviable cast of characters for the TV series, and the relative unknowns turned out to be hugely talented, too.

If only Amazon had learned from that aspect of production, instead of throwing money at (admittedly beautiful) CGI.

Phillip Walch likes this.
  3. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

There are several new cast members for season 2 recently announced.

Perhaps there is a retooling occurring.

The SVP at Amazon who is over the Prime Video head is retiring too. The head of Prime Video will now answer directly to Andy Jassy.

4. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Weak. He should have thought of what he says before taking the role.

5. drumzNspace

Like who?

6. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

EddieMann likes this.
  7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

What would be even more helpful would be to tell us who they will be portraying. Yes, I know it would be too much of a spoiler (heaven forbid we get any clue as to where the heck this thing is headed), and that it won't happen in a 1000 years. Which is about how long it seems we have to wait for these morsels of info.

8. MrCJF

Ben Daniels, Sam Hazeldine and Nicholas Woodeson I recognize, and I think bring some better acting talent to the table, I don't know the others. I just hope the producers know how to use that talent.

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

He was by far the best actor in the series, and probably the only interesting character.

I expect he doesn't want to be associated with such a poor show and waste the next few years working on it when no doubt he could get much better jobs.

Scott222C likes this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The blonde girl looks like a possible replacement for Galadriel? I wonder if they have come to their senses and recast her? That would be big. And shut a few trolls here up.

The show has dropped out of the ratings top 10 which is a bit if a disaster. Shows like this normally, if they are successful, stay in the top 10 for ages.

11. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Not that much sex In GoT..it’s a brilliant show where the politics and power plotting are the real violence...give it a go

12. MrCJF

Perhaps Galadriel (and all the other elves) just forgot to mention for the whole first season that she has a daughter.

13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

You can do an easy google search as to when Arwen was born ;-)

14. MrCJF

Arwen is Galdriels granddaughter (and Elronds daughter).
    Celbrian is Galadriel's daughter and Elrond's wife. An easy google search would have told you that ;)

Edit: none of the versions of Galdriel's history state when Celbrian was born. That gives the RoP writers plenty of license.

omikron likes this.
  15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There was lots of sex in the first season, some of it was even set in a brothel, thankfully they got rid of all that in the following seasons. You don't need to sell a good show on sex.

Strat-Mangler, MrCJF and boggs like this.
  16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

aaahhh f…k. You are right. The jokes on me.

omikron and MrCJF like this.
  17. drumzNspace

SRC and boggs like this.
  18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Well the most expensive TV show ever received exactly zero nominations at the Golden Globes.

The execs at Amazon did say they would judge it's success against awards (not looking good there then) and viewing figures (again, not great as easily beaten by House of the Dragon and dropped out of the top 10 quite quickly).

Clearly not the 10/10 'masterpiece' some people seem to think.

Rumours are that it's probably too late to make the required changes in season two by all accounts but big changes in season 3. If they decide to keep spending money on it I guess.

budwhite likes this.
  19. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

I think this show is in trouble. Losing the best actor in it is pretty damning given the budget and the new members of the cast hardly indicate that season 2 will bowl us over. Stuart Bowman is a poor actor and the others are peiple who rarely make any impression in anything they are in.

GoT could just keep adding heavyweight performers to virtualky each season : Stephen Dillane, Diana Rigg, Charles Dance, Jonathan Pryce, Liam Cunningham...

Jim B. likes this.
  20. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I stuck with this til the end but it was a slog. High point was maybe ep 6. I thought things would take off from there but unfortunately they didn't. Season 2 doesn't interest me at all.

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Loved it
    Watched it twice
    Can't wait for season 2, 3, 4

SRC, boggs, Kim Olesen and 1 other person like this.
  22. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I rewatched ROP and enjoyed it even more. A second watch provided an opportunity to examine more nuances. Love how this has progressed. Sad about cast changes, though.

SRC and Rfreeman like this.
  23. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I gave it a shot and watched the first two episodes. After all the negative things I heard my expectations were really really low. It's not bad So far I like it much better than Wheel of Time.

Amnion and SRC like this.
  24. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Not bad, but that's a low bar.... :winkgrin:

Lars Medley and Juan Matus like this.
  25. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Season turned out great. Haters going to hate

boggs, Amnion, SRC and 1 other person like this.