Star Wars - Andor (coming September 2022)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, May 26, 2022.

1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I think they had to tell us what they were making in the prison. Plus in context it illustrates just how the Empire was so behind on getting the Death Star made...because their imprisoned work force was rioting and escaping.

2. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I don’t know, I thought the post credits scene was perfect and it’s really the only crumb of fan service this show has done. I immediately assumed that the prisoners were building Death Star parts and that they’d be killed so no information would ever get out. And that scene confirmed it. Also, it’s amazing to think it took almost two decades to build the Death Star, tiny piece by tiny piece.

3. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

:righton::righton: I really liked this show. A very good blend of action and acting. A well constructed story that kept me interested and sometimes guessing in/about the plot. Looking forward to the next season. Oh the tease at the end of the credits was near genius.

polchik, PhoffiFozz and omikron like this.
  4. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

100% in agreement.

Oh, and they stuck the landing on that episode. Holy crap.

PhoffiFozz and Leviethan like this.
  5. CantonJester

Luke was a dirt farmer. Andor is/was a rogue thief. He knew Ferrix like the back of his hand and was able to navigate the underground tunnel system as the parade was going up above. That's his skill in action, not some whiff by the writers.

polchik, BeatleJWOL, aroney and 2 others like this.
  6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Having your hero's idea go exactly to plan, no hiccups, doesn't make for good drama. That's fine though, glad you enjoyed it.

7. CantonJester

His idea was for how many of his friends and acquaintances die during the uprising? He leveraged the events (their deaths) to save his own hide.

Thanks. I did enjoy it. I'm sorry you (apparently) did not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  8. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

9. CantonJester

10. CantonJester

Seriously, that writer had his head so far up a Jedi's ass he lost perspective. In other words, he was tied to the typical SW ending.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I finished the series this week. Excellent (and much better than the last trilogy of SW movies).

polchik, Sunflower, omikron and 2 others like this.
  12. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Maybe the reason is that as far as the wider viewing public was concerned, Andor simply wasn't very good? Or maybe they just weren't interested in watching a prequel to a prequel?

It's too easy to lay the blame at the previous Star Wars TV shows - if Andor had seriously been must-watch TV, word-of-mouth would have meant it picked up an audience over the course of its 12-week run.

13. Andor was my favorite Star Wars related release since the original trilogy. I guess you need an attention span over 30 seconds to really appreciate it, but if you have that you'll love it. I enjoyed the "talky" parts that others were complaining about more than the actual action sequences. Great series!

14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

You could watch this whole series without having seen Rogue One and still enjoyed it. Hell, you might enjoy this even if you're not a Star Wars fan at all.

15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

which is exactly why the post-credits scene irritates me. it doesn't actually enhance the 12 episodes of the show. in fact, one could argue it somewhat cheapens the whole prison arc. it wasn't about the what was being made, it was about the who was subject to and who was causing the suffering.

omikron and twicks like this.
  16. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Love the show. Best SW since eps IV-VI.

Having said that, I like how they culmintend the show and left the set up for season 2.

Still, I wish they would have spent some time on the Emperial frustration of Andor slipping right between their fingers. They did even get it. They had no idea. Here was a chance to have a bit of 'the Falcon dramatically got away at the end of Empires' and they didn't capitalize on that emotional high to end the show.

As feared, the emotional ending occurred 2 episodes prior when they escaped the prison ... leaving the finale as a bit of a letdown.

Still, these are minor squabbles for a major triumph of a show.

May the Force bring us more TV like this series. It is looong overdue. I hope it's not too little too late for Disney. This show deserves a lot more viewers than the press is telling us it's getting.

17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

One problem with Andor for me that may have played into the low viewership results was that despite my intense admiration for Tony Gilroy I thought the opening episodes were pretty bad — dreary, lots of skulking around the maze of Ferrix alleys, just a lot of slow typical Star Wars exposition and general thespian mopery. I actually gave up watching the series partway through episode three, but I kept seeing people I respect praising it over the following weeks, and eventually decided to give it another shot.

With episode four and the transition to the heist plot I thought the show made a dramatic upward shift into compelling momentum, a fresh setting, and clear high stakes, and the Michael Clayton in space writing suddenly gained real traction. Despite some subsequent ups and downs I was carried along to the truly sensational finale.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  18. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Agreed the finale was not that good. But I kind of saw that coming - I thought that Andor worked really well in the initial episodes as a slow burn to the heist (and then the heist itself) but then it got bogged down by its length, with too little to say within the time allotted. The action of the final episode could have been accomplished - and accomplished better - in less than 30 minutes. There was no need to do that whole funeral procession - it was a boring slog that never would have made the cut had this been a feature film. It was an unnecessary time-hog of a detail regarding a character and a planet that I just didn’t care all that much about, except to the extent that it furthered Cassian’s plot.
    Andor lost its way a bit with the imprisonment episode, and never really regained its footing after that. I had high hopes for this series after the first several episodes, but it really drifted after that. Not in a *bad* way, but in a way that kept reminding me that I was watching a weekly TV show instead of a long movie. In the beginning, it was done well enough that it seemed like a long feature film. But then it got bogged down by tedious repetition and things occurring for their own sake, rather than in service to a tight story (if I have to endure another scene with the Imperial guy and his 1-note snarky mom, I might quit this entirely). Still, I’ll give it a weak B+ overall.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    GentleSenator and twicks like this.
  19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Plus, by the end of Episode 12 we're basically where we were at the end of Episode 3, when Andor first joined up with Luthen. Guess he's not so worried about his sister anymore. I'd go B minus.

20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

True.

But as always the issue with prequels is they have to fit into existing canon, and that's a tough needle to thread. For example, I just happened to tune into Rogue One when Andor has been captured and is in the cell, and to the comment about another having been in many prisons Andor says "This is a first for me," clearly now not true. Frankly not a big deal, but I wouldn't have noticed it if there hadn't been this series.

JohnK

PhoffiFozz and twicks like this.
  21. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Perhaps what he said was true...from a certain point of view.

[​IMG]

PhoffiFozz and omikron like this.
  22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Wow, good point...but then I wonder if he's always putting up a bit of a front because he doesn't trust anyone. In Rogue One he also says "I've been in this fight since I was six years old." That may be true...but in episode one of Andor he's more like 11 or 12. Could it really have been 5 years that those kids were living alone?

CantonJester and PhoffiFozz like this.
  23. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

At its best, Andor proved that modern Star Wars can be more than fan service and Happy Meal merchandising. Even though I'd argue that Diego Luna is, oddly enough, the weakest link in the cast, it's a genuinely surprising show. Indeed, God help me, I'm going to say it: Most impressive.

24. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

Just finished watching this. Absolutely fantastic. The writing team should've been responsible for all the recent spin offs and indeed the sequels. Loved every minute of it. Cannot wait for the second series.

25. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Finally finished the final two episodes. I liked this series so much better than Rogue One. Looking forward to season two, whenever that may be.