The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Betty quote above suggests that the reverb/hall sound was printed to the tapes due to the substandard recording on those nights and can't be undone, which is vaguely what I remember from that DVD feature too, but it's been a while since I saw it.

trd and US Blues like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

6 December 1973. Cleveland.

The scene of one of mankind’s greatest musical achievements.

Space. Your. Face.

If you dare, be prepared for the monstrous and otherworldly Dark Star that will take you on a bat-s hi t crazy trip to another dimension.

If you’re reading … c’mon Dave, it’s time—unleash the beast in all its full glory!

My “review”: The Grateful Thread

[​IMG]

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Re-amping is fairly common and I don't think it is that difficult or time consuming (I think it was done as early as some of the first posthumous Jimi Hendrix mixes in the early 70's), but it would probably be only one of several things they'd need to do.

4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Listening to some highlights from 9/25/91 Boston Garden (via DiP 17) tonight. I haven’t done so in a while and it’s a fun listen.

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Two other musical achievements from this notable musical experience are China > Rider and Here Comes Sunshine. Both are phenomenal. :agree:

6. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

A 50th Anniversary edition of SYF makes sense--a remixed version of the original album, plus two extra discs of the jams not included on TGDMS.

ianuaditis, OhioHead, ARK and 3 others like this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

You’re damn right. The longest-ever HCS is a gooey jam-fest. I made mention of them in my (earlier) review. I love TLEO, Big River, Eyes and Stella from this show, too. In fact, I love all of it.

8. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

If Jerry was clean shaved and had a hair cut in '89/'90 I think he would have looked his age, late 40s.

mBen989 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Next night was the best post-Brent show I saw by far. IWT for this and all their 90s runs.

uzn007, Crispy Rob, tobyd and 2 others like this.
  10. headcoat

headcoat Forum Resident

Road Trips October 1977. That's one mental Around and Around.

11. US Blues

If we are remixing, we are talking 5 complete shows. :wave:

KeithGodchaux and KCWhistle like this.
  12. headcoat

headcoat Forum Resident

I've got a remixed version of SYF from 4-5 years back (at most) already! Another remix, surely not

US Blues likes this.
  13. headcoat

headcoat Forum Resident

The Playin' reprise is pretty out there too.

Crispy Rob and KCWhistle like this.
  14. US Blues

That is a remaster, not a remix. David Glasser did excellent work with SYF using some modern processing technology that made a world of difference.

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

IWT, too. I remember it being a huge disappointment compared to the last shows I’d attended at The Spectrum and MSG less than 3 months earlier, where they started out great and just got better and better each show. I’ve never gone back and listened to it since, and I’m sure it’s better than many ‘94-‘95 shows I caught, but for consecutive shows attended, 10/20/90 followed by 12/3/90 might be the biggest difference in quality that I experienced.

Billy_Sunday, Mad Dog and US Blues like this.
  16. headcoat

headcoat Forum Resident

Listened to Cornell May 77 second set on vinyl again last night. I've recently tweaked the turntable and boy did it sound lush. More than any other time it reminded me a lot of the laid back but powerful June 76 vibe. An easier listen than 72-74 for sure. The Scarlet>Fire really stood out. All of this, of course, is folklore already. Just that prior I'd preferred my CD from the box set, this time the vinyl blew me away despite having to break the spell to change sides regularly.

17. headcoat

headcoat Forum Resident

Ah, got it. Yes, it's an excellent remaster. Love how Phil's bass is right up in the mix, guess that was the same with the original mastering too as it's in the mix. Hopefully any remix keeps Phil loud and clear.

shadowcurtain and US Blues like this.
  18. US Blues

6 December 1973- Cleveland.

Read what @SJR wrote above.

19. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

I tried asking this question on the Grateful Dead for Beginners thread, but didn't get much response, so hoping for better here.

I’m thinking about purchasing flac downloads from Dead.net for some of the box sets I missed out or passed on.
    I always see people reporting problems with download purchases - are those problems only at the time of release and eventually get ironed out or do they persist?

Other questions I have are:

• how does the process work? do you get emailed a unique link or do you have to create an account?
    • how many attempts do you get to download them?
    • do you get artwork, track lists or any other info?
    • do the files have good metadata?
    • are there better / cheaper places to buy these?
    • is the Lyceum set 192/24 because the listing doesn’t actually state the resolution?
    • Get Shown the Light seems to have disappeared. I’m sure that was on there the other day. Has that gone for good?
    • are high resolution downloads available elsewhere for older boxsets such as Winterland '73?

Thanks!

20. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

Listening to 12/6/73 Dark Star. Long. Good. Mindless noodling? If so, give me more.

21. headcoat

headcoat Forum Resident

Having bought three of downloads a few answers:

- After purchase a receipt with download link is sent
    - You get a fair few attempts to download, I think my links are still active even after downloading to a couple of devices
    - I didn't get any artwork or track listings
    - My files loaded into iTunes just fine, track names and durations are all good
    - nugs.net may have some for sale, not sure elsewhere
    - no idea on lyceum bit rate, and get shown or winterland 73 being still available elsewhere, I'd be interested to know this too

I bought June 76, PNW and Giants Stadium box sets and had no issues at all with downloading any of them. Note: all were bought sometime after release so possible any earlier issues were ironed out.

Hope that helps some.

sparkmeister likes this.
  22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

My quality downgrade is worse…….I went from 9/20/90 to 3/23/91.

US Blues likes this.
  23. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

I, too, gave 12/6/73 a listen, first time for me. Dark Star BLEW ME AWAY

24. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

Finishing up 10/16/77 today. Fantastic show from top to bottom. Too bad they chopped it up for the RT Fall 77 comp. This would have made a great full show release.

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember Dennis McNally's book said that the first post-MSG 1990 show (Stockholm) was so bad that he had to console Vince afterwards.

uzn007, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.