The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

There are 2 tracks of the whole shebang, basically, and also a rough mix of the multi's done back in the day.

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, what's left to release from 2/13-2/14/70 that wasn't on Dick's Picks 4?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. US Blues

I would not make any assumptions regarding specific releases. All of 1973 is up for 50th anniversary stuff, Wake of the Flood being the studio release, and certainly a 1973 box set of some type is a possibility. We'll see what actually happens.

shadowcurtain, jpgarry1 and KCWhistle like this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Completist-type stuff, but I've read comments from people who want it. Having the shows in order rather than split over multiple albums could be nice.

5. MHam

MHam Give Me Bass Relief

If they have the two-tracks...the 74 two- tracks in the PNW box sound great.

shadowcurtain, Islands and KCWhistle like this.
  6. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Earthquake Relief Benefit - Oakland 1989 ... after almost 2 years on the bus, finally got my first Shakedown!

Standing on the Moon is a 2nd set highlight. And Jerry was playing Wolf, which was cool. The significance was lost on me at the time, but I'm glad I got to hear him play that guitar in person a few times.

12/6/89 Grateful Dead - Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, CA

I: Shakedown Street> Walkin' Blues, Friend Of The Devil, Queen Jane Approximately, Jack-A-Roe, Just A Little Light, Victim Or The Crime, Don't Ease Me In

II: Scarlet Begonias> Sugar Magnolia> Ship Of Fools*> Terrapin Station*> Drums> Space> The Wheel*> All Along The Watchtower> Standing On The Moon*> Sunshine Daydream*

E: Black Muddy River
    (*w/Clarence Clemons; earthquake relief benefit)

Crispy Rob, GoodKitty, adamos and 3 others like this.
  7. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 12/6/73 on TIGDH on SiriusXM’s Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing They Love Each Other.

Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  8. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

The Winterland 73 box sounds glorious too. Honestly, whatever it takes to get 10/16 to 10/20 officially released would be worth it. I understand nothing about the technology involved, but surely there are options today that weren't available 18 years ago when the GDMS was being assembled. I haven't heard it, but folks speak highly of the upgraded sound on the Steal Your Face LP reissue from several years back -- if it's possible with that famously bad-sounding release, surely something can be done.

9. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Heard that too! Mentioned RFK and Watkins Glen and Wake of the Flood.

10. US Blues

IWT! Jerry was playing the Wolf! I had not heard that guitar in his hands since 10 January 1979, I literally had tears in my eyes hearing it again in concert. And the SOUND of that guitar live through the Ultrasound PA was simply psychedelic. After nearly a decade of the Tiger hearing the Wolf again was a revelation to my ears. :love:

Also, sitting behind the stage for Set 2 and watching Mickey kicking the frame of the Beam during Drums as a reenactment of the Loma Prieta earthquake. Astonishing!

11. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

6/10/73 please!

Jerry, Crispy Rob, OhioHead and 5 others like this.
  12. tobyd

I love that you love the Wolf! I just read this "Jerry used Wolf as his main guitar from September '89 clear up to New Year's Eve. The first show of 1990, he began playing Rosebud. So 8/19/89 Greek Theater (awesome! show!) is Tiger's farewell show as the main axe ... best as I can tell."

13. lilbud

lilbud Forum Resident

I hope every Dave's next year (barring the first apparently) is 73.

14. US Blues

iirc Jerry used Rosebud in the Dec '89 run in Oakland, but that is going off of now ancient memories.

btw- Ryan Adams has a sweet song called Rosebud on his album Cold Roses, which is about Jerry's guitar. Ryan played the Wolf in Denver on 15 July 2005, the next night at Red Rocks when I saw that band he had a different guitar.

Billy_Sunday and Crosseyed like this.
  15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

And the ones that aren't are 72 or 74. ;)

16. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

I'll be honest, I rarely listen to anything post 1991. However, when I venture into the 92-95 period, I am sometimes pleasantly surprised by the sonic depth and arrangement of the songs. The 93 Albany shows have been today's listening and have some great moments. After the 91 Boston run, 93 has the most redeeming moments of the late era Grateful Dead.

17. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

I recently picked up the Saint of Circumstance live album from 6/17/91. Haven't listened to it yet, and you reminded me to.
    I don't think I've heard unfavorable shows from the Vince era, but I haven't heard a lot either. Based on what I've read and looked at, Fall '94 brings some heat as well?

ARK, LandHorses, KCWhistle and 3 others like this.
  18. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

9-14-90, the night before Bruce joined, is one of the most underrated post Brent shows. It's when Vince found his groove! Smoking Garcia guitar solos throughout.

Crispy Rob, LandHorses, tobyd and 2 others like this.
  19. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Is the Listen to the River box set from two-tracks? If so that one sounds great as well.

20. US Blues

6 December 1973- Cleveland

Morning Dark Star, which includes the Full Moon arcing towards it's setting point over the Jemez Mountains, as seen from the Hacienda.

Just. Exactly. Perfect.

21. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Iwt the Denver show was at the old Mammoth Gardens (renamed The Fillmore). Fun shows.

Billy_Sunday and US Blues like this.
  22. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

1969/02/28 San Francisco, CA, Fillmore West, went straight for that second set.

[​IMG]

23. tobyd

I also love that show, sick, sick Scarlet > Fire, very classic 77 style and playing. The 3/22/90 and 9/14/90 compare and contrast is interesting to me, clearly the two best versions of the year. It's a shame we don't have all the MSG 90s in a nice box like we do now with the 81-83 shows.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and LandHorses like this.
  24. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

My guess is that anything that was partially released and gets a full release treatment will be released as part of a bigger release.

Or next year they'll release Madison Square Garden '91, '92, '93 with bonus tracks filling in what's missing on RT 2.1

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Further to my questions on dead.net downloads, I tried to buy the Lyceum flac bundle but it insists on adding "free" wrapping paper to my order then charging me $22 for international shipping. There is no option to remove the wrapping paper from my cart :rolleyes:

track11 and Al Gator like this.