SH Spotlight "Cecilia Ann" by the Pixies, yes, I wrote & recorded the song as The Surftones with my buddy Frosty

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Enjoy!

UCLASNYD and katstep like this.
  2. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Thanks Steve. Like many others, I knew this song for many years as the song that opened the Pixies album Bossanova. I actually used the Pixies version as the soundbed during the introduction to my radio show Left of the Dial for about 4 years. Imagine my surprise when I learned that you wrote it!

UCLASNYD likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Surprised a lot of people. But nothing can beat the surprise Frosty and I got when the Pixies chose to open their album with it!

katstep likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

I was asked, I answer: What guitar amps were used on CECILIA ANN?

As mentioned in my first post, we used one guitar amp to record CECLILA ANN. My friend who worked at MCA Records by the name of Jeff Traintime had his amp at my apt. so our oldies band "Quagmire" could jam once a week. A heavy sucker so he just left it there all the time.

It was a 1960's Fender Blackface Twin with two JBL 12" speakers. We used this to record Frosty's bass guitar and lead and my rhythm, both on my G&L beater guitar.

I put the mic near the amp and let it blast. But, not too near, I wanted a bit of "room" in there...

Hope this helps.

So there ya go.

5. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Very nice Steve. I have the original Pixies Bossanova CD and on the CD itself Cecilia Ann is credited to The Surftones, without any individual names. However, on the Wikipedia page for Bossanova both you and Frosty are credited under the Track listing section.

UCLASNYD likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

That's nice, someone must have revised it. Like I said, we recorded the song for the good of the SURF LEGENDS CD, Frosty and I never in our wildest dreams ever imagined what would happen next.

UCLASNYD and Frangelico like this.
  7. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I bought Bossanova because somebody played "Cecilia Ann" over the PA in a Sound Warehouse store while I was shopping in 1990. It is still my favorite from that album.

UCLASNYD and Steve Hoffman like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

I was asked, I answer:

"Cecilia Ann" is based on (and named after) Sicilienne for cello & piano, Op. 78, by Gabriel Fauré.

9. dunce

dunce Local jester!

Legend