The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

My set arrived today. The booklet number is 05532. Outside box was fine but there are couple of tears on the corners of the inner tray. I debated sending off a complaint but since I got a "free" copy of the Headquarters set for the same issue I decided I could live with it.

I have to wonder about the quality control (or lack thereof) at the plant that puts these things together. I'm assuming they use some kind of automated assembly line and one of the machines is slightly out of adjustment. It's possible that that a human doesn't even see the product until it comes off the end of the line complete with shrink wrap. Have any of the other Rhino SDE box sets besides the Monkees have this problem?

I got a chuckle reading the first line of Micky's profile on the inside cover: "Long-legged teenager Micky Dolenz is no stranger to the television screen..."

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    Tom Stigler, D-rock and longdist01 like this.
  2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Seems like they're touting 10000 units again from the EMail I just got from Rhino!!
    They must have put the rest of them parts together.......
    Beave

gvout, D-rock and longdist01 like this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Mine arrived today also. Same issue with the inner tray corners. I did have a fair amount of glue around the edges of the lenticular cover. Anyone else have this issue and is there a safe and easy way to remove it? Goo Gone?
    I'm open to any and all suggestions.
    Number 08834, by the way.

silvertrees likes this.
  4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Just saw that Rhino email...don't procrastinate much longer fans of 'The Monkees Complete Television series' on Blu-Ray in Limited Edition boxset....

supermd, Hep Alien, joelee and 2 others like this.
  5. audiomixer

Who did you contact at Rhino?

6. audiomixer

Oh, I see that the lenticular cover is suppose to be glued to the box. Duh.
    Mine isn’t & I kinda like it better that way. But I would like to remove that glue around the edges.

7. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

My experience with Rhino shipping is that they send an email that says it’s shipped, but digging a little deeper it’s only the shipping label that’s been created. Then about a week later the package actually gets picked up by UPS. Then, no more tracking updates, and a week to 10 days later it shows up without warning on my doorstep.

Interesting way to run a mail order business. I hope everyone else’s experience is more satisfactory.

8. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Contact - The Monkees - Official Store

For my dinged-up copy of Headquarters, from the "Topic" drop down menu I used "Returns -- Damaged Item(s)" and explained the problem. I expressed my feelings about paying so much for the item and receiving it in damaged condition. I said I would be happy to return the first copy if they sent me a shipping label, but they said to keep it. I don't know if they're doing the same thing for the Blu-ray set.

audiomixer likes this.
  9. audiomixer

Thanks so much for the link. I just sent in my concerns.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Yeah, mine (which I ordered and received years ago) has a detached lenticular panel, and one of the corners of the inner cardboard carrier was torn. At some point I am going to try to re-glue the lenticular panel.

11. audiomixer

Terrible design for the interior. I sent a request to them and will be curious to see what they have to say. $200 is a lot of money to not have a near perfect product. I'm just happy that the discs look absolutely perfect.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. Downsampled

I’m befuddled by the insert for the discs, with the tabs holding them in. It takes a lot of effort to get them out.

13. audiomixer

It makes no sense at all.

seeknom and Downsampled like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

If they indeed sell almost 10K sets, how in the would do they not find The Monkees a profitable artists on their label? And now with Headquarters SDE close to selling out ... PACJ SDE should be a no-brainer. Personally, I think that out of the 3 box sets Andrew mentioned finishing, PACJ SDE was one of them and Headquarters SDE one, obviously. The Kinks must have been the other one.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    The Beave, seeknom, Galley and 4 others like this.
  15. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

In case you didn't see my post in the Headquarters SDE thread, here's a fairly easy (if I can do it, anyone can :D) DIY fix if the corners of your disc insert are messed up.

All you need is a ruler/straightedge, an x-acto knife and a sheet of "Gold Brushstroke Foil Paper" ($2.49 from Michaels/craft store). Cut a square using the 45 as a template, measure a 1" border around the inside edge of the square, and cut that out for the insert.

[​IMG]

16. audiomixer

Or I can bitch and have them send me another one. Don’t forget: this thing is $200!
    Also, my lenticular cover was not glued on at all. So...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    seacliffe301 and longdist01 like this.
  17. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Lol!…….
    :-popcorn:
    Here we go again!
    Just saying…….:D
    Beave

supermd and longdist01 like this.
  18. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Oh, I hear you, believe me! With taxes and shipping, it's closer to $240. The fact that they're still shipping out damaged sets after all the problems with the original release tells me they don't care all that much. In my case, since I got a "free" replacement copy of the Headquarters SDE (got to keep the damaged one), I just decided to do my DIY fix to the Blu-ray insert and move on. Here's wishing you good luck in getting an undamaged replacement copy from them. :thumbsup:

longdist01 likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

What's the best glue to use to put the Lenticular cover back on?

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Saw these two posts earlier in the Thread @D-rock

21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'm weary of using superglue. I'm afraid it'll eat through the cardboard eventually.

22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

you could try some archival acid-free
    double stick tabs from [container store, Michael's crafts or many craft/ hobbie stores] if you are unsure of glue type...again just a suggestion.

i Have no idea if this will help you out!

[​IMG]

audiomixer, Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  23. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

despite the packaging issue
    I'd be hard-pressed to
    name a "Blu" TV Series box set , that I have enjoyed as much

audiomixer, longdist01 and The Beave like this.
  24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I haven't used Superglue on many things, but I personally haven't had any issue(s) with it eating thru anything I've used it on...

If you're uncomfortable with Superglue, maybe try Gorilla Glue (although I'm not sure if that would have the same possible effects that you're worried about with Superglue?) or maybe affix it with a hot glue gun?

longdist01, D-rock and RobRoyF like this.
  25. Downsampled

I posted this with this particular repair in mind:

Clear flexible adhesive for CD boxes, etc.

(I also have some box sets that need their plastic CD trays re-fastened.) I haven’t actually tried it yet.

longdist01 and D-rock like this.