Joni Mitchell ‘Asylum Albums (1972-1975)’ Box Set Due 9/23/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Jul 28, 2022.

1. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Yeah, like others on this thread I've contacted both Rhino and Joni's folks (not her parents, btw) and have received absolutely zero helpful responses from either. Not sure they're even "embarrassed"--I don't think they really give a damn what they push out nowadays. CD box sets at $40 just aren't worth fixing, I suppose...

Someone upthread seemed pretty positive a fix was in the works but, again, that would indicate they care about the product they're selling.

We're stuck with this one brothers and sisters...:sigh:

Eric_Generic likes this.
  2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Years ago I needed help with replacing a faulty disc in an Eagles boxset I had bought for my wife. At that time I wrote to the following email address for help:

Dr.Rhino AT rhino.com (make the appropriate edit to make it a valid email address)

A corrected disc was sent to me after proving I owned the set.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  3. Yourmindandwe

Yourmindandwe Forum Resident

Can anyone confirm? On the vinyl box set edition of side 3 of Miles Of Aisles I hear an odd noise towards the end of For Free. Around the lyrics "maybe put on a harmony.."
    Is that on all or just me?

4. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

You're hearing Joni hit and release the sustain pedal on the piano.

jlf and Vinyl Socks like this.
  5. Yourmindandwe

Yourmindandwe Forum Resident

Wow, really. I'll listen again.
    Thank you

6. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

The Asylum albums are now in Dolby Atmos on Apple Music. I didn't see a post about it. If I missed it, my apologies.

Hymie the Robot and englishbob like this.
  7. Monophonic9

Monophonic9 Forum Resident

Sourcing from the Atmos stems, I've made a stereo mix which resolves that part of tape distortion we've had in the original stereo master which does not appear on the multitracks for 'Car On The Hill', enjoy!

bluemooze and JDeanB like this.
  8. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Mixed in Dolby Atmos - yay!

Only on Apple Music - no
    Needs Apple Hardware - no
    Only works on headphones - no

Back to bed

Seems a wasted effort to me in it's current state - headphones and Apple crap - pah!

9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

You sound very confused. Hopefully you got some more rest.

10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I got the Amazon exclusive blue vinyl pressing of For the Roses. It was awful. It might be the noisiest new vinyl I’ve ever purchased. And that was after two washings. Back it goes.

11. sennj

I know the horse is dead, but I'm going to give it one more thump.

Any word on a replacement disc for Court...? Some kind soul on IMWAN posted the following just a day or so ago:

I just heard from WMG on twitter. It's like pulling teeth, but maybe they will make good on a replacement "Court and Spark" CD. I messaged them again last Thursday asking:

"It's been a while and I have not heard anything about making good on the Court and Spark CD that has the error. Since the box set was purchased some time ago on Amazon, the window to return to them has passed. Even if it was returned in the time frame they apparently would not have corrected CDs. Is WMG going to replace the incorrectly pressed Court and Spark discs or not?"

Their reply was:

Thank you for your email.

Corrected replacement discs are on the way to us, and we will send out yours as soon as possible.

I apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

M**
    WMG Store Support

Sorry to keep ringing this bell but this obvious (and easily avoidable, IMHO) defect really should be rectified for us paying customers. I waste enough hard-earned $$$ on crap vinyl pressings, I'd at least like my CDs defect free. (This one has really ticked me off for some reason.)

Last post on this, I promise...:righton:

12. dabl

dabl Senior Member

13. jsa307

jsa307 Well-Known Member

would still love anyone who has the new downloads to compare them to the last set of 2013 downloands. thanks!

14. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Thanks, could you please post the email address you used for WMG support?

15. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

This past weekend I finally got around to listening to the previous box set (Reprise albums). First chance I had I went ahead and ordered up the Asylum set. Should be here in a day or two. :cool:

16. sennj

Sorry, my post upthread was quoting someone else (on the IMWAN music site) who had the same defect and was working to get a corrected CD.

I looked at their post again on the other site and they had mentioned having to use Twitter to contact WMG; the response (which is what I posted originally) was a reply from WMG to that person via Twitter's messaging system. (Hope that wasn't too confusing...)

I'm monitoring the Joni Mitchell "Asylum..." IMWAN thread and will post any resolution that they come up with back here.

Maybe anyone on here with a Twitter account needs to message WMG support and get them moving on this. Might help.

gregorya likes this.
  17. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

18. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Hmm very sure it's digital while waiting for input from sources like BG. That's, uh, an interesting journalistic approach.

biggysteve and bruinuclafan like this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

He's lost it. 'The Pressing Matters' confirmed they are AAA with the producer. I don't hear digital but I haven't done direct comparisons with the versions Fremer mentions in his review. I prefer the KG Speakers Corner 'Hissing' over the CB. Another point where I disagree. The main issues I've had with both boxes has been pressing quality on one or two discs which is what you risk using Optimal these days. Don't get the compressed sound claims.

20. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Yeah, my original WLP Court and Spark audibly has more compression than the remastered version in the vinyl box. :shrug:

21. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

The guys is off his rocker. He trashes the sound and gives it a 7 lol. Put's that 8 for Thriller in context I guess. I think this box sounds fantastic.

CBackley and this_machine like this.
  22. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

When is the next Archives box announcement coming? Really want to hear the contents of the next one.

23. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

It sounds good to me. Maybe I like the first box better, but hard to compare against totally different albums recorded so far apart.

I think you can also trash the sound (which is subjective anyway) without blaming it on sourcing.

bruinuclafan likes this.
  24. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Fremer has lost the thread. This box sounds buttery and beautiful.

struttincool likes this.
  25. 1@aTime

1@aTime Forum Resident

No idea what this Fremer clown is talking about. My box sounds great with lots of dynamics. Don’t hear any compression or digital artifacts.

aseriesofsneaks and struttincool like this.