Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Water" is also dominating "premium" screens and 3D. Those screens are more limited and people don't seem very interested in plain 2D for this one.

The opening weekend doesn't really matter. Neither "Titanic" nor the 1st "Avatar" had super-great opening weekends either, but they just. kept. going.

Maybe "Water" will severely underperform - dunno.

But I wouldn't base any predictions on opening weekend - not for this one.

SandAndGlass and John Moschella like this.
  2. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

That is exactly right, this ain't no superhero movie.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I appreciate this remark was posted in a thread concerned chiefly with film financials, but surely the success of such popcorn tentpole dreck as Avatar has a tremendous downside: the death of cinema, as Scorsese famously noted. I refer everyone to his defence (as if it were needed) of remarks he made in relation to the superhero 'cinema' of 2019:

Opinion | Martin Scorsese: I Said Marvel Movies Aren’t Cinema. Let Me Explain. (Published 2019)

I believe Scorsese's remarks are entirely pertinent when considering the multidimensional impact of Avatar 2 upon cinema in 2022.

4. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Naaaa. I think that's a lot of bullspit. Out of the 50,000+ Hollywood films made since 1930, I would bet 2/3 of them are non-serious, populist, "movies" rather than serious "films." Do we dismiss all films that aren't serious, emotional, moving, and profound? If so, that's an awful lot of movies to flush down the toilet.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

But for the past decade, high concept sequels based on established superhero properties that monopolise thousands upon thousands of cinema screens upon their debut (week after week) have come to define the business of mainstream cinema out of all proportion to the teetering balance eked out in years past. Cinema doesn't have to be 'serious, emotional, moving or profound' at all (which one might suggest is a lazy characterisation of Scorsese's definition of 'cinema' - which encompasses everything from Gene Kelly to Don Siegel to Mario Bava), but it typically doesn't consist of a perpetual menu of franchise sequels that avoid risk to ensure a return audience for Part 3. Or Part 4. Or Part 5.

7. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

SHAMELESS '30s MOVIE PLUG: Instead of watching an overlong, unsatisfying 'new' movie check out UNION DEPOT (1932). It packs a lot fun and a lot of plot into its 68-minute run time.

(And there wasn't a "Union Depot Part 2", either. :laugh: ).

Boom Operator likes this.
  8. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Worldwide weekend actuals for Avatar $441.6 million. That pretty much covers its production budget. I think we’ll see this leg out to $1.5-$1.7 billion worldwide which should probably be enough to get Avatar 4 into production.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Let's say the production budget is $400 million + $200 million for worldwide marketing = $600 million. They would need box office in the $1.2-1.4 B range to cover 100% of those costs, post-theatrical is where the gravy comes in. Cameron did say that the 3rd weekend will determine the future of this franchise.

If WoW more than covers production/marketing from the box office receipts I'm pretty sure they get the green light to finish #4 and get started on 5.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not sure Weekends 2 and 3 can be viewed as "normal" since Xmas and New Year's cover both.

I assume theater going collapses Xmas Eve and NYE. Probably decent to good on Xmas Day and NY Day, but still feels like the entire weekend would be weaker than if Xmas/New Year's Day fell on a Wednesday, for example.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"Oh, you're right, and when you're right, you're right, and you, you're always right."

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I don't know...I see superhero movies, and most action flicks, as kind of a roller coaster ride. Is Avatar not a fun ride?;)

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Add to that Weekend 1 was a World Cup final.

Is it really a given that A4 and A5 get made due to diminishing returns.

Oatsdad likes this.
  14. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Finally watched it last night. It was not a very good movie, which is too bad. I don't know where the making of it went wrong, but it's too bad Johnson's talents were wasted.

JohnK

Crack To The Egg likes this.
  16. brucewayneofgotham

17. brucewayneofgotham

18. brucewayneofgotham

19. brucewayneofgotham

20. brucewayneofgotham

in the promo for this film,
    Edie Falco
    has been making
    the rounds,
    doing some TV.

Is it me or does she look younger now, then when she was married to "Tony"?

Very attractive woman.

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Black Adam cut out thirty minutes at the beginning. Jump cut to Black Adam emerging.
    Just saying …

brucewayneofgotham likes this.
  22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I disagree and think your being too optimistic.

Firstly Disney are in financial trouble, they are not going to invest a billion if there is a risk they will lose millions. Declining returns can be expected from the later films.

Secondly you don't invest 600 million in anything just to break even and get your money back. That's not how studios work. They may as well invest it in others ways which would guarantee a return.

Sure studios take a risk and some films offset others but if you have a franchise which is clearly so costly that it is almost guaranteed to lose money or at the very best break even then it will be scrapped, regardless of who the director is.

Boom Operator likes this.
  23. brucewayneofgotham

Gunn is going to tweet an official timeline
    after the 3 films
    are released in the next year

It will be interesting to see what is included and what is not
    probably will not be, until 2024, to see were Black Adam falls

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Money seems to be in streaming .. HBO / Netflix etc

25. brucewayneofgotham

No , not in any way
    all of the Streamers lost huge money this year except Netflix
    who made money , but not enough

Netflix stock is still down more
    then 50% from the start of the year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.