SH Spotlight FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours, heard it 1000 times, still love it! Our WB 45 & 33 1/3 RPM vinyl coming now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 25, 2007.

1. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

It sure does Steve!! Absolutely wonderful! Thanks again!

Strat-Mangler and Steve Hoffman like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

One of those albums for the ages!

3. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

Funnily enough (or not) before this version was released I did not own a copy of Rumours!1

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Was this the first time you had heard the album from front to back? If so, what was your opinion of the album, both musically and sonically, after hearing it for the first time?

5. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I bought the album in 1977 when it first released. I payed it so many times that I can't even imagine how I did it. I ruled the air waves on radio and was everywhere in 1977. It was great both musically and sonically.

6. Steve Hoffman

I got my copy in '77 and I remember buying the earlier album as well at the same time. Tower, Sunset Strip. Good timezz.

ggjjr, hi_watt and yesstiles like this.
  7. 15 years ago!!! Man, how time flies! Seriously, though, thank you and Kevin for the spectacular job on Rumours. You really hit it out of the park!

skisdlimit and Steve Hoffman like this.
  8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I recently remembered I have the 33 SH/KG cut. This came with the Rumours Super Deluxe box set. I was shocked to see the initials in the deadwax, when I first got it. Sounds great.
    I got that box set super cheap, too….circa 2015. If any of you have that box set, check your vinyl, you probably have a SH/KG cut, too :)

9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I got my Kendun original while I was working abroad in the States in 77/78, probably down in Georgetown, DC, and managed to snag a Hoffman/Gray 45 rpm off of Amazon US a while back. Love both. Same for the original and Bellman mastered self-titled “white album”. It’s no real surprise that Rumours remains one of the best selling vinyl albums even today, 45 years on.

10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Nope. Mine is cut by Optimal engineer Heino Leja and it's his initials in the wax, seems Warners switched to using that cut after making some boxes with the SH/KG cut

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    pool_of_tears likes this.
  11. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

I have bought your copy for both of my daughters as well as for me.

Ere, garrincha and Steve Hoffman like this.
  12. Tony Plachy

I recently pull out my two original copies of their ST album and Rumours. The art work on both album covers has been sanded down by sliding them in and out of the album stack to be played many times ( back in the 70's I did not store the albums in outer poly sleeves and the shrink wrap was removed when the album was opened ).

13. violarules

violarules Senior Member

The originals of Rumours weren't mastered at Kendun. As Steve tells it, Ken Perry at Capitol kept the master tape in his office for years, as he was the only one who could cut it (state-side, at least).

Kendun did master the original Fleetwood Mac S/T and it sounds better than most versions of Rumours, imho. It rocks! Maybe you're confusing the two.

RemyM and Dhreview16 like this.
  14. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

Oh no, I had ‘heard’ it many times before as it was frequently played in the background at parties. It wasn’t until this version came out that I could ‘listen’ to it. My tastes had veered off of the commercial style at that point and was starting to delve into alternative music (Talking Heads 77, etc)
    Not that I eschewed the album, but because it was heard EVERYbloodyWHERE, I got bored by it.

But as they say, time wounds all heels and I was able to appreciate it with fresh ears.

15. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

And it was at that point that I started down the rabbit hole of jazz, so there’s that….

The Beave likes this.
  16. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Yes, I think you are correct. It is probably a Ken Perry Rumours and Kendun self titled that I have….

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  17. Steve Hoffman

Kendun did indeed master RUMOURS several times. Using an EQ dupe tape that they had. Why this happened is a mystery. Ken Perry might have been too booked or something.

18. mattk42

mattk42 New Member

Does anyone have info on what Acoustic Sounds might be selling now? It sounded like people in the reviews got this mastering, but the description now indicates "Pressed in Canada at Precision Record Pressing".

19. Steve Hoffman

Doubt that’s ours but I don’t know.

20. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

The 33 version at Acoustic Sounds is not the Hoffman/Gray LP and doesn’t claim to be. When I bought mine at AS it specifically stated Hoffman/Gray in the description and pressed at Pallas. Although it’s mentioned in the comments, it’s clear that it’s been replaced with a new version.

The 45 rpm is still available, if you want the Hoffman version I would grab that one ASAP before it too is gone.

Fleetwood Mac-Rumours-45 RPM Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

21. Tony Plachy

The 45 rpm Hoffman version is the one you want to have, do not delay.

22. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I have both the Hoffman 33 & 45 but yes grab the 45 while you can. And you certainly can’t beat the price considering what these one steps and UHQR’s are going for and the quality of the Hoffman Rumours can’t be beat.

23. mattk42

mattk42 New Member

Thanks for the info, everyone and Steve!

Also, thanks for the link bbanderic. They say it's the Germany Pallas pressing though. That's still the right one? If this has already been asked, and answered, I'm sorry. The posts I found in this thread mentioned Pallas and the Made in USA version.

24. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Pressed at Pallas in Germany, that’s the one to get.

mattk42 and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  25. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

Such a great album where all the band members truly shine. The extended Gold Dust Woman is my preferred version. I also have the deluxe 35th anniversary with extra takes and the wonderful song that didn't make the cut Think About It. It's like Hey Hey What Can I Do from Led Zeppelin, one of those awesome B side singles.