Phoenix area record stores?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by shark shaped fin, Nov 29, 2022.

1. shark shaped fin

shark shaped fin Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll be going to Phoenix for several days around the holidays, and will be looking for some fairly priced and reliably well-stocked record stores to check out. I have other commitments, so I won't have a ton of time. But I'm hoping to dig around at two or three spots. Are there any consensus places I must visit? Coming from Los Angeles, where most spots are unfortunately overpriced these days.

2. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

I highly recommend Zia Records, which has a few stores throughout the Phoenix area. They sell lots of other stuff but I go there mostly for music purchases.

Regards,
    Dave

3. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

The "In" Groove in Phoenix. Probably one of the largest stores in the country. The owner does an RSD release vid every year, and then live streams the entire RSD all day. Mike, the store owner, is the person who broke the digital aspect of MOFI releases. Check out the store on YouTube.

smarone313 and shark shaped fin like this.
  4. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Bookmans chain was once great before the masses got into vinyl.....still great to bring in CD/LP/Book trade to crush the 180G's down to cheap purchase. I fill the trunk to trade when I drop into Flagstaff/PHX/Mesa.

shark shaped fin likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Are you looking for vinyl, CDs, or both?

If CDs, I echo the Zia recommendation.

They're also probably good for vinyl - they seem to have a lot - but since I'm CD-only, I can't comment beyond superficial observations.

shark shaped fin likes this.
  6. shark shaped fin

shark shaped fin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Almost exclusively vinyl, but I'm always happy to find some good CDs. Zia sounds like a place to check out for sure.

Oatsdad likes this.
  7. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I used to check East Side Records any time I was in Tempe. Guy there introduced me to Fela Kuti, for which I am forever grateful. Last time I was there was probably around 1990.

I just googled it and the current iteration seems to be called "Ghost of East Side Records".
    Who knows what the story is on the name change; maybe they can explain it to you..

8. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

9. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

Agree with the Bookman's, Zia's and In Groove recommendations. I would also add Stinkweeds and Tracks in Wax.

If time is an issue, you can make a very efficient run out of Tracks in Wax, then Stinkweeds (only 0.2 mi from Tracks in Wax), then Zia's Camelback (1.5 mi from Stinkweeds).

Hope this helps and happy hunting

10. tjschrauf

tjschrauf Active Member

High Records in Tempe near the airport. If you can't find what you're looking for on the shelf ask the clerk. They have boxes of recent purchases with hidden gems.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

All vinyl or CD too?

12. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

If you are into metal, you should definitely check out Asylum. Best selection of metal lps I’ve ever seen in one place (a little pricey, but in my experience you are unlikely to see most of these records anywhere else). They have other stuff too, pretty good sized shop. And the owner is a really interesting guy to chat with (former roadie to some pretty big name acts.)

13. tjschrauf

tjschrauf Active Member

Vinyl only

Crimson Witch, Daddy-O4 and Dude111 like this.
  14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Excellent.... The more places that sell it THE BETTER :)

15. Oatsdad

Thanks! Not sure I'll ever return to my former Phoenix-area stomping grounds, but good to know not to bother with that store since I'm a CD baby! :D