What Is The Big Deal About "A Christmas Story" (1983)?!?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm with you. I don't see the appeal of A Christmas Story either.

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

3. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

One of my favourite Christmas movies. This movie makes me feel the wonder and amusement of the being a kid again. And what better time to be a kid than Christmas.

ben_wood, showtaper, altaeria and 5 others like this.
  4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

A CHRISTMAS STORY is normally shown ad infinitum on TBS or TNT around this time of year. If you're looking to stream the film, it's available to paid subscribers on $3.99 on Amazon Prime Video, Google Play Movies, Vudu, iTunes, or YouTube. You can buy it for $11.99 on Google Play Movies and YouTube, and for $9.99 on Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, and iTunes.

I've discovered that it's available for free in HD on a service called Fawesome Tv https://fawesome.tv/ It's on both Roku and Firestick and is totally free. Naturally, it'll have commercial breaks, but then so does TBS and TNT.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  5. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

It's also free for HBO Max subscribers

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Gosh dont ya hate spam ads?

I sure do!!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I just bought it on 4K blu-ray, and it looks amazingly good for a relatively low budget production from the 80s
    Still find it hysterically funny after at least 15 viewings
    In fact, I saw it the weekend it opened , Thanksgiving 1983

JoeRockhead, 905, ben_wood and 6 others like this.
  8. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Love when Ralphie says the f dash dash dash word, when the old man sends him back to the car the old man has a bit of a smirk on his face like a mixture of wanting to laugh and also the fact his son just said a bad word

905, ben_wood, MikeInFla and 2 others like this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

when the mom cuts off the lamp and says she doesn't want to waste power and then you see the rest of the lights in the house are on always gets me

10. jason88cubs

and the brilliant thing is they don't tell you that. they figure the viewer is smart enough to see that

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

We're watching A Christmas Story on TBS right now.

905, Bowie Fett, MikeInFla and 2 others like this.
  12. jason88cubs

TNT here

13. jason88cubs

The very last showing of the marathon for the day is the end of Christmas for me and gives me a bit sad down feeling

905, ben_wood, Steve Litos and 3 others like this.
  14. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I got a Red Rider BB gun for Christmas this year. No BB’s yet though. The gun is well made, I didn’t realize that they were a real thing. Watched the movie this week, it still cracks me up.

15. jason88cubs

I'm to the point now where I watch it at the start of the marathon and at the end. Otherwise its background noise while I do stuff or visit family. I've seen it so much I can just visualize what's happening by the dialogue

905, MikaelaArsenault and ben_wood like this.
  16. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Be careful. You’ll shoot your eye out kid!

17. Bottjer713

Bottjer713 Forum Resident

It's nostalgia for me. Watched it almost every Christmas season since I was young. No, it isn't the Godfather Part II, but it feels like an old Christmas sweater you put on once a year.

18. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

the dvd is always $5 at walmart.

19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

What always gets me (and seems to be true, in reality,) some moms will take their own kid's words without suspecting any lying coming from their kids. And the same can be said about hearsay coming from another adult, about their kid.

When Ralphie's mom asked Ralphie where he heard the F-dash-dash-dash word, Ralphie lies and said he heard it from Schwartz instead of saying his old man. Of course, immediately, Ralphie's mom calls up Schwartz's mom. Even Schwartz's mom assumed Ralphie heard it from his old man. But Ralphie's mom said he heard it from her son. Schwartz's mom didn't question it after that and immediately assumed that it was true and started beating the crap out of Schwartz.

Every year that scene hits home. Growing up, my brother and I would lie to get out of trouble. Yet, at the same time, if being told on by someone else that we did something wrong (even if we didn't,) mom assumed we did it because it was coming from someone else (even if I told on my brother or vice versa.) Getting slapped around for something you didn't do was wrong. Though, getting slapped around for something we did do, we deserved, but was still wrong to do. When we got older, we were able to block our mom's shots. She eventually quit trying when it didn't work any longer. Then it was just getting grounded or not being allowed to use the car to go out with friends (only to work and/or school.)

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Although she had retired from acting in 2007, Melinda Dillon had been approached about potentially reprising her role as Ralphie's mother. However, she ultimately declined the offer. She was replaced by Julie Hagerty, who is nearly 16 years younger.

21. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I tried watching A Christmas Story and couldn’t make it through. Just one of those films whose hype as a classic utterly failed to connect with me (or my wife and teen kids for that matter). I was actually excited to finally see this “classic”, and was surprised it wasn’t the great entertainment I had expected, oh well.

Some years back I worked with Peter Billingsly on his film Couples Retreat and while doing so was oblivious that he had played Ralphie. Though I hadn’t seen A Christmas Story I was certainly aware of it. In any case happy to report he was an exceptionally nice guy and a pleasure to work with.

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Feel free not to answer but how old are you?

MikaelaArsenault and Michael like this.
  23. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Spent Christmas Eve with my Daughter and her family and they don't want my 6 month old grandson watching the TV at such a young age, so the TV was off all afternoon. She text me this morning (Christmas Day) saying that she assumed we got at least one viewing in as has been our tradition for as long as I can remember. Sadly, I didn't. I'm assuming she and her husband watched it after visiting his side of the family today, while the baby took a nap. I will not miss it again.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I own the Blu-ray which works for us every Christmas Season. I just could not stand the commercials. I owned it on DVD previously. So I was always in control. : )

MikaelaArsenault and ben_wood like this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great story thanks for sharing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.