What Is The Big Deal About "A Christmas Story" (1983)?!?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it would have been great if they figured out away to use her...she was the only thing missing and of course his Dad they made a beautiful homage to him...I really loved this...

2. Michael

I too can relate to that scene!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Michael

it's Christmas personified to me!

musicfan37, 905, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  4. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I always loved it for it's simplicity. The most "high tech" thing in the movie was the leg lamp. When Ralphie was asked what he wanted for Christmas, all he wanted & hoped for was the rifle. Today's kids hand over a list of "requirements" that parents are willing to go broke by waiting in line outside a store overnight to get them. When I was a kid, we told our parents the one thing we hope to get & appreciated what we got on Christmas morning.

5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

If you’re that old, then you’re out of touch with what modern parents go through and are only receiving your information second or third hand. I don’t know if you’re deliberately being insulting and ageist, but you are. Modern gifts are obviously more advanced, but monetarily speaking the difference between what parents spend on gifts today are likely little different when adjusted for inflation.

6. alanhed

alanhed Forum Resident

One of the best movies of all time.

7. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Not meant to be an insult. I worked at Walmart for 12+ years & saw many many parents with their child's list (& lots of times with their child) & they would tell me what they had to get & how their child won't accept anything else.

64FALCON, 905 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

When my brother and I were kids in the '70s, mom would give us the Sears and JC Penney's Christmas Catalogs and told us to circle things we would like "Santa" to bring on Christmas morning. Of course when we got older, it was just handing her a list of items we wanted from her and Dad. We never got everything we asked for (would've been too much,) but we did get some of the stuff we asked for, in addition to some needed/useful stuff (new clothes, school items, etc.) we didn't ask for or think of. I would guess most families (who can afford it) will get their kids at least a few things that their kids asked for or want. No one likes getting stuff they don't want. I always ask for lists or gift ideas from people before Christmas. As a gift giver, if you blindly give a gift to someone, you feel like crap if you find out the person didn't like it, re-gifted it, sold it or returned it. Even when I participate in "Secret Santa" with a bunch of people (such as co-workers,) I demand everyone who is participating to submit wish lists for all to see. Then when you get assigned the person who you will be Secret Santa for, you can get them something they want. When they open it up (even though they don't know who got it for them,) they are happy.

The old saying "Appreciate what you get even if you don't like it/want it" is just the gift giver's way of saying to the gift receiver "Tough $h*t if you don't like it. It's what I wanted to give you."

There are exceptions to this of course. Say it's your first Christmas with a new partner and you both agree to surprise each other without knowing what the other wants. But if you stay with that partner for a while or get married and stayed married for a few years, that will get old. Even if you assume you know what they'll like, there are always instances where it turns out they don't like it or want it.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I have the DVD as well. I should probably upgrade it to a Blu-ray sometime.

10. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

I hope the Turner stations continue the marathon broadcasts for many years to come. To me, it wouldn’t seem like Christmas without having this movie playing (even in the background). It’s become part of my life’s Christmas soundtrack.

11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I fail how to see how shopping by a list of wants has changed over the decades. But what has changed is that young parents of today will likely shop online before ever stepping one foot into a Walmart.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The mob of young parents at the Walmart near me was as large as always.
    that's why I shopped online.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Oh, sure, they'll shop there for the lesser items, but if there is one present that their kid really really "needs", most smart parents aren't going to hedge their bets on local stores having it in stock, they're going to guarantee their purchase by buying online, and maybe opt for in-store pickup if not home delivery.

14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I think it's mainly buying toys for little kids. They stock quite a few for Christmas. The old Toys For Us is long gone.

Matthew Tate, Michael and Isaac K. like this.
  15. Michael

now it's on 4K as well...I have the first BD edition...it has been bested with a few other BD releases.The latest BD that is included with the 4K is the best out of the 3 BDs...supposedly.

16. Michael

Indeed...for toys it's the only way to go! on line... stock is usually low at the store during the season.

Matthew Tate and unclefred like this.
  17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

18. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Kids were spoiled at my age (born in 1974), and continue to be spoiled today. Some parents get their child whatever they ask for, some kids pout if they don't get what they want. Some parents do the best they can, and their kids appreciate what they get. It's not necessarily generational. It IS, however, all up to the parenting.

19. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Sounds like second or third hand information...:shh::angel::rolleyes::wave::doh::unhunh:

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

21. keys74

keys74 Forum Resident

If you're a baby boomer from Northeast Ohio, that film is a loving and accurate tribute, not only to that area but of those times.
    "Mr. Jing-a-ling how you ting-a-ling, keeper of the toys."

22. keys74

keys74 Forum Resident

That jingle should have read:
    "Mr. Jing-a-ling how you ting-a-ling, keeper of the keys."

Damned spell correcting.

sharedon likes this.
  23. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I’m with the OP here. I didn’t care for the film when it first came out…the over the top obsession with the films made me absolutely loathe it. Do we really need a 24 hour marathon of this? It’s like the pumpkin spice of Christmas films.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Very sad about Ms Dillion...... I had no Idea she is in Close Encounters...... I love that movie!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

That explains it, we were a Road & Track family (generally, not exclusively).

GLENN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.