Box Set Beefs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Apr 19, 2021.

1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Whoops, I am remembering now they DID include Trompeta Toccata and Una Mas in the Henderson Mosaic...duh, fuzzy headed with a cold today.

So a Dorham box would look like:

Afro-Cuban
    'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia
    Whistle Stop
    Inta Somethin' (Pacific Jazz) – if not appearing in a McLean box
    Matador (United Artists) - ditto

Kinda short - but perhaps would fill out four CDs.

2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I was surprised how much I liked it after years of reading hate mail about it. It's not a one-stop Who box but ... what is?

Try The Who Hits 50!!

Sean, Mickey2 and All Down The Line like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I wasn't going to fold it in half. I blue-tacked mine on ;)

The worst is the Elvis 68 Comeback CD box. The backing sheet is not only bigger than the box but it wraps around the edge. I think I put mine in the 60's box just to keep it flat.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  4. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Steak Box | Oregon Valley Farm
    Ultimate Steak Box
    If you love steak and you want to try a little of everything from what we offer, this is for you! As always: grass fed and finished, hormone and antibiotic free.
    Description
    If you love steak and you want to try a little of everything from what we offer, this is for you! As always: grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free.

This box contains approximately 6 lbs total of beef including:

• 1 Tomahawk (2.5 lbs)
    • 1 Tenderloin (1/2 lb)
    • 1 Top Sirloin (.75 lb)
    • 1 NY Steak (.75 lb)
    • Mixed – could be flank, skirt, denver, flat iron, chuckeye. (1-2 lbs)
    Our Grass Finished Beef is dry aged for 2 weeks.

Aged for 21 Days, Grain Finished Beef

• Pasture raised
    • Zero antibiotics
    • Zero added hormones
    • Raised and Butchered here in the Pacific Northwest
    120 day grain finish which gives our 100% angus beef superior marbling, close to prime or better. It is dry aged for 21 days, giving it extra tenderness and flavor.

fast'n'bulbous and PJayBe like this.
  5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Thankfully IMO. And I don't consider it the full mix. That's the album version as opposed the 1:59 single. Charlie Chin on banjo.

I agree that the LP version over 5 records is more coherent than the 3 CD set. But I was unaware it was released on 5 CDs.

It isn't missing. It's on the US Aftermath.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  6. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I got it as a Christmas present in 1994, I really like it. It is a bit like the audio version of "The Kids Are Alright"-movie: a chaotic mess of studio, live and dialogues. But I agree, it could've been better in some parts (no studio version of "Substitute", the Frankenstein versions of "See Me, Feel Me" and "A Quick One" and some unnecessary crossfades).

7. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Latest beef is expensive box sets with no writing on the spine.

Galley likes this.
  8. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Paint it Black (single version) : 3:44 (London Years etc)
    Paint it Black (album version) : 3:24 (Mono Box)
    Both Mono

PS
    Springsteen 5 CD was a vinyl replica (Japan)
    A Biograph 5 CD wouldn't help, unless... Bob does something like Tom Petty did:

9. Adam9

The London single was 3:19: Google Image Result for https://i0.wp.com/rollingstonesdata.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/rolling-stones-paint-it-black-1966.jpg?fit=796%2C400&ssl=1
    I don't know about the Decca for sure but I suspect it's the same. In any case, the London Years CD has the same mix, just a longer fade. The original US Aftermath version was a folddown from the stereo mix.
    Edit: On my original mono UK Big Hits Paint It Black is 3:19 which is pretty well identical to the mono box. So the mono box actually has the single version.

Thanks for the answer about the Springsteen.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  10. tages

tages Senior Member

I love box sets but the whole premise seems strange to me.

You get the hits mixed in with a bunch of songs not considered good enough to release at the time.

So, basically the best and worst of a band’s catalogue with no in between. Weird.

Also, I think those big expensive boxes should ALWAYS come with video content.

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

DVDs are terrible, and many still have no Blu Ray player?

Strangely enough, today I came across a new Police LP of "Around the World", which included a DVD.

There may be a market for archaic formats.

12. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Paint it Black (single version) : 3:44 (London Years etc)
    Paint it Black (album version) : 3:24 (Mono Box)

We also have the box set:
    The Rolling Stones - Singles 1965-1967 (2004)
    Paint it Black : 3:44

"Paint It Black" plays during the end credits of the films Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    I once saw a VHS version where "Paint It Black was speeded up... to fit 3:24?

13. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

My beefs are far beyond pointless.I could easily create a live boxset of Led Zeppelin ‘69-80.Nobody on this earth would ever have any interest of course!

14. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Fleetwood Mac - The Chain. Could have been much better. The sequencing of Discs 1-3 is as if someone hit the random button, sound quality varies wildly (some songs sound great, though) and a booklet essay would have been great.

15. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

A legitimate beef with Metallica’s Master Of Puppets box.We get these interview CDs wich are interesting to hear once or twice.Yet they left out key soundboards and audience recordings such as Osaka’86,Cliff’s last show wich really means something to his fans.Only on a cassette tape?BLAH!Even some of the recordings on video were such awesome performances,they should have been on multiple formats.I don’t know,guess I’m just old school as far as these type of things!

Anthrax likes this.
  16. Adam9

The Rolling Stones In Mono has the correct single length with an earlier fade. The London Years and the Singles box both have unique longer fades.
    Edit: This thread does contain some misinformation but @Cheepnik's post mentions the length of the single. Rolling Stones: Paint it Black question

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  17. Pete @ Petersham

Pete @ Petersham Being Boring

And beta

Fruff76 likes this.
  18. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

The latest Zappa Waka/Wazoo box has a" forced" Blu-ray. Something I will likely never have any interest in. Therefore I will not buy it.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Mick Fleetwood released a companion book: “My Twenty-Five Years in Fleetwood Mac”.

20. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I don't like live albums. There are probably 5 live albums I've ever had any interest in hearing more than once, and most I don't even want to hear once.

Therefore, I'm not going to pay a premium price for a deluxe box of a classic album where all or most of the bonus tracks are live. Demos and alternate takes, for sure; live stuff, definitely not. The one exception might be live in a studio or non-concert venue, but those are very few and far between.

21. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

But disc 4 is essential. Made the set for me

22. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Should have been Disc 1. Though.

maui jim and Who'sTommy like this.
  23. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

I take it you did not buy the super deluxe "Use Your Illusion" box set?

bluearmy78 likes this.
  24. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

You are correct, sir.

javilu77 likes this.
  25. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Ok. I checked a couple of youtube videos of the 1966 vinyl single.
    Then that means that the Singles 1965-1967 (2004) and London Years box sets don't have the correct version...

It's also strange that it lasts longer than the actual recording.
    Charlie stops playing at 3:40:

Adam9 likes this.