Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. DapperGentleman

DapperGentleman Forum Resident

These prices ratcheted down another notch at Amazon overnight:

Liam Gallagher - C'Mon You Know for $11.83 - lowest price since brief drop in September
    https://www.amazon.com/CMON-YOU-KNOW-Liam-Gallagher/dp/B09HGQZFJM

I remember we had some AOR metal fans here? This is a little louder, but with two female vocalists might be worth a listen:
    Laurenne/Louhimo – The Reckoning on the Frontiers label for $9.29
    https://www.amazon.com/Reckoning-Laurenne-Louhimo/dp/B091DG4LFS

She & Him (Zooey DeSchanel and M. Ward)'s Brian Wilson Tribute LP - lowest price yet at $14.95
    https://www.amazon.com/Melt-Away-Tribute-Brian-Wilson/dp/B09ZCSTHJR

Taj Mahal & Ry Cooder's 2022 comeback album on Nonesuch - lowest price since September - $13.12
    https://www.amazon.com/GET-BOARD-Taj-Mahal-Cooder/dp/B09R84DXR1

Prog band Renaissance - Academy Of Music 1974 2LP live - taken from a Radio Broadcast but reviews are strong - $14.98
    https://www.amazon.com/Academy-Music-1974-Renaissance/dp/B07HQ149QF

'Bwiti harp music of the Tsogho people of Gabon' for $15.93, a good sized drop. Includes vocals.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kadi-Yombo-Pape-Nziengui/dp/B09R38NRJH

I enjoy Matthew Bourne a lot. This one's on Leaf: " Skeletal piano motifs, an aching use of space and sparing cello arrangements are deployed to devastating effect. " $17.46
    https://www.amazon.com/Isotach-MATTHEW-BOURNE/dp/B072FKH7Y8

TerpStation, Dignan2000, mur and 6 others like this.
  2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Ive been debating the Laurenne/Louhimo as Louhimo is GREAT in Battle Beast, such a killer voice, but Frontiers vinyl sounds like absolute sh€t

latheofheaven likes this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No point in getting this radio broadcast show on vinyl. The CD captures everything there is to capture from the mediocre source.

masterbucket and latheofheaven like this.
  4. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!

Couldn't have said it better, the shelf-filling, hoarding Lovecraftian vinyl-sucking li'l B@****ds!

5. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I went to Barnes and Noble to pick up my Gerry Rafferty and Yes new releases today and saw this priced at $42 and NOT pressed in Germany.
    I think I will grab one before lps started selling on a 2 for $100 special....prices are getting outrageous.

6. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Yes, most of the remaining 2012 pressings are list priced at $39 now (!), with this one getting the usual $3 “surcharge” for the nice packaging. So $20 for a German-pressed copy is a pretty good deal. (And who knows when Apple and Universal will order another round of pressings for The Beatles’ 1960s catalogue …)

7. I would be interested in your opinion as far as the bass response for the SS-CS5s ( I've read varying degrees of the bass output ). I've been eyeing those as back L/R speakers for the beginning of a surround sound system, without having to buy a sub. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Don't be presumptuous.

TxRangersFan and Coltrane811 like this.
  9. Clark V Kauffman

For music, these speakers have plenty of bass and they can really fill a room with sound. I have zero complaints with these speakers and I am always a little stunned at just how good they sound — and not just because they’re so inexpensive or small.

For movies, however, I think the CS-5s wouldn’t quite cut it in terms of the bass. So all my TV audio is run through an entirely separate system that includes a much more modern Yamaha receiver and a set of five Cambridge Audio speakers augmented with a subwoofer.

The two systems are almost side by side, but I really have different expectations for music listening and for TV viewing. I was watching a documentary last night that referenced the San Francisco earthquake and I was glad to have that subwoofer when the sound effects kicked in. It wouldn’t have been the same if I just had the Sony speakers deployed.

10. Yes ... I should have clarified my wish for info; I'm interested in the music aspect, only. Good to know you rate the CS-5s favorably. I missed the last window of cut-rate prices during the holidays. but I will certainly purchase them when the next wave of discounts occurs (I'm in no hurry :)).

Thanks, again, for your opinion!

11. Clark V Kauffman

You might check out YouTube, as well. There are dozens of reviews of the CS-5s on there — some are by real audiophiles who know their stuff — and almost all the reviews are very, very positive. Many are downright glowing. A few reviewers temper their enthusiasm by noting that better speakers can be had for just a few hundred dollars more, but I can’t say that I have seen any negative reviews.

12. I was first alerted to these speakers by a YouTube video from Randy, The "cheapaudioman". He championed them within a couple of years ago, but still it's nice to hear other opinions from anyone who has purchased them.

Thanks for your opinion!

13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Did I miss a deal on some speakers?

latheofheaven, hutlock and Adam6437 like this.
  14. Clark V Kauffman

Sorry, no, we got sidetracked for a few posts there….

15. The SSCS5s were at $78, for the pair via Amazon, prior to this past Christmas / holiday season. Seems as though these speakers have been offered at a discount a few times throughout the prior years; compared to the usual price (around $175 or so). I've got the patience to wait until they go on sale again. :)

16. Clark V Kauffman

I bought mine last summer for about $95 for the pair. I laughed out loud when I placed my order and realized I was paying more for the speaker stands than I was for the speakers themselves. But the CS-5s really do sound fabulous. It's astounding to think speaker technology -- unlike the technology for some other audio gear -- has advanced so much in the past 20 years that you can actually get audiophile-quality speakers for $100 or so.

17. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I should get a backup pair of SSCS5s the next time they go on sale. Not much bigger than a shoe box but with great sound.

18. Roosevelt Sykes

Roosevelt Sykes Forum Resident

19. Swordsandchains

20. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

YES! If you don't have this one and you like glorious guitar (especially this Godzilla of a one!) you HAVE to get this. That is a great price too! :righton:

***EDIT

I just wanted to add... If you haven't seen it, definitely check out the video on YouTube. If that doesn't move you, you don't have a pulse... :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    aoxomoxoa and superstar19 like this.
  21. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

22. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Geri Allen Trio - Twenty-One $21.41
    Blue Note Classic Series 2lp set, piano trio, great stuff!

23. Swordsandchains

great one and for a great price

24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

And not just any trio—Ron Carter and Tony Williams!

hutlock, riverrat, Dignan2000 and 2 others like this.