Box Set Beefs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

That's a weird stereo mix with the dry upfront vocals. I don't particularly like it but it is interesting to hear. The long version on the Singles 1965-1967 (2004) and London Years box sets fades just before Charlie stops playing.

That version is the same mix as the single, albeit with a longer fade. If you want the shorter fade that's on the single you can hear it on The Rolling Stones In Mono.

2. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Yes, I have the Mono box. (I "need" everything :))
    So the most popular song from 1966 ...
    And their "greatest" song / recording Gimmie Shelter has a new spelling.
    1969 vs 2019 (also a box set)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Adam9 likes this.
  3. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

:shtiphat:

I had no Dylan in my collection when I got Biograph on LP—and it was also the first boxed set I bought (other than the Beatles Blue Box)—and it was the perfect introduction. I loved everything about it, the track order, liner notes. I had the LP and felt as much thought went into the sequencing as an album of new tunes. In 1985, Lay Lady Lay was just as new to me as Groom Still Waiting at the Altar.

I think boxed sets are great for newbies. When I'm getting into a new artist, that one of the first things I look for.

4. highway

highway Forum Resident

Me too. First Neil Young music purchased was Decade in 1978 on the strength of one song on the radio.

Duke Ellington Centennial collection on CD was first too, along with Little Feat Rad Gumbo, Free, Beckology, etc. The Miles Davis metal boxes were purchased second. But only having purchased Kind of Blue before that. Everyone had that CD.

wayneklein likes this.
  5. Unfortunately (or not) I have both being the completist. They should have put in an extra disc (or two)with everything else for the second box and just be done with it. No one should put Neil in charge of the BS legacy it was just goofy with the first set.

6. I agree that boxed sets are a great way to get into an artist but the original habit of throwing some rarities in there smacked of the old Greatest Hits albums with one or two new tracks-it’s more of. Cash grab for established fans and is neither fish nor fowl.

The Strawbs set had all rarities/alternate mixes which is ideal for an established fan. XTC wanted to do the same but Virgin insisted for their A Coat of Many Cupboards they also include previously released album tracks available elsewhere. Sure it reaches a broader market (which, I’m sure is the intent) but it also short changes the primary audience for a boxed set.