Avatar - The Way of Water - Dec 16/2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Kiri was born from Grace's Avatar, we don't know yet how yet how she was impregnated. It's assumed for now that when they attempted to transfer Grace to her Avatar in the first movie that Eywa created Kiri.

As for Spider the father is known, the mother is Paz Soccoro.

"Early life. Miles with his mother, Paz. Miles was born on Pandora in 2154, in the Resources Development Administration's colony base, Hell's Gate, to Paz Socorro and Miles Quaritch. His mother was later killed during the assault on the Tree of Souls, just as his father was killed at the hands of Neytiri".

Vidiot and Quadboy like this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That's my point, there's two children that we know half the story about.

Didn't see your post. How do we know this? Did I miss this in the movie?

From what we remember in #1, that hardly seems possible? But here's Kiri... Don't have any clue how they plan to explain this?

Sure, but not as human to Navi. But this also opens up a can of worms.

The Avatar body contains both human and Navi genetic material. So it would make sense that an Avatar to Navi direct mating would transfer human genetic mater present in the Avatar.

The can of worm a part comes in, because that would also happen to Jake and Natari's three natural children.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  3. Deuce66

It's not in the movie, it's in the graphic novel series Avatar: The High Ground. The voice over is Jake.
    [​IMG]

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I feel better now! I was beginning to wonder how I watched WoW and happened to miss this much relevant information?

MichaelH and Deuce66 like this.
  5. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Just saw the movie. Very pretty film. Also, overlong, monotonous and just a replay of the first film with the same damn villain. Also, using Sigourney's voice for her daughter sort of doesn't work because her voice is not just distinctive but also pretty low for a female, it doesn't sound youthful. I would reckon it is Cameron's worst film (someone else completed Piranha II.)

RANKING
    Aliens
    The Terminator
    True Lies
    Terminator 2
    Titanic
    The Abyss

PS: At one point Miles asks how they were going to attempt something and then the Military head says "the hard way." I'm not sure if this was intentional, but Miles is voiced by Stephen Lang (from the first film) and in 1991 he played the psychotic bad guy in a fun comedy action film called The Hard Way, also starring James Woods and Michael J Fox and directed by John Badham.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    Shawn, scobb, twicks and 3 others like this.
  6. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Finally went to see it yesterday .... I did enjoy it, but not as much as I thought I would. My local theatres did not have a 3D option - though both my sons, who had seen it in 3D, said they did not think it made much difference. I found some of the 'retconning' of the first movie a bit clumsy and, frankly, it's essentially just a redo of the first movie plot. Probably a 6/10 for me. I am sure I will buy the eventual 4K version with the 'inevitable' extended cut.

RSteven likes this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

8. Deuce66

I'm not surprised the movie is already in the black, no matter how much cost they front loaded into A2 which I suspect is a lot. They also have all of the post theatrical revenue that's coming over the next several years.

Quadboy and RSteven like this.
  9. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Since Avatar is my favorite film of 2009 and Avatar the way of water is my favorite film of 2022 this is music to my ears. The more Avatar's the better.

Deuce66 and RSteven like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought the 3D was pretty spectacular -- I just saw it last night in 3D IMAX HDR HFR -- and it was very well done. I'll write one of my long-winded essays on what worked and what didn't later, plus some observations on plot and story issues.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The 3D in a Dolby Cinema theater was fantastic and probably the best I have seen. Very immersive and seamless.
    The choice of HFR shots was sometimes puzzling but I tried my best not to notice it. I have no doubt it was thought out and there is a good reason behind every one.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

RSteven likes this.
  13. Deuce66

Kiri-Grace / Sigourney Weaver - I think the main reason this character works for me is that Kiri is born from Grace's Avatar body, the lineage is there so it makes sense.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

With the frame rate, it helps to go back in time to what inspired Cameron to make that choice. I went back and found this piece from 2011, which helped fill in the gaps for me.

So basically, Cameron is operating under the assumption that with higher frame rates there will be less eye strain and fatigue.

What that doesn’t address for me is what is the cost of switching between frame rates in the same sequence. Does that create eye strain or distraction enough to just stay with one, at least for an action sequence.

Vidiot and RSteven like this.
  15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I saw it last week, mostly to check out the 3D from a technical point if view. Enjoyed it enough, not much to add here, but was checking my watch a bit after 90 minutes.

Surprised more viewers didn't point out the large sinning vessel was redoing some Titanic scenes and chasing the bad guy in the bottom of the vessel was redoing some T2 scenes. More than simple throw back nods like Jaws or Apox-Now.

Vidiot, Crack To The Egg and RSteven like this.
  16. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Yeah. It’s basically Cameron’s greatest hits with a few greater cinema references. The Jaws bit was telegraphed with the score.

Vidiot and 64FALCON like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    SandAndGlass, Deuce66 and RSteven like this.
  18. Deuce66

The stunt team - hope they include a making of disc with the Blu-4K.

RSteven likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Cameron has always been good to fans in terms of bonus materials. The question becomes whether or not the initial release includes much or if they do like they did with the 1st "Avatar": release a barebones version first and put out a collector's edition later.

SandAndGlass, RSteven and Deuce66 like this.
  20. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

I saw it earlier today... in 3d based on the recommendation @Vidiot recommendation made in the "Hits and Bomb" threads. My first 3d movie.
    I thought it outstanding and so beautiful.
    I don't remember much about then first one, but this stood on its own just fine for me.
    I loved the relationship with the "the water", the story, the look. Never did it seem, slow or boring.
    I'm looking forward to seeing it again :righton:

21. Looks like it has sea legs! ;)

MichaelH likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Max Florian like this.
  23. Deuce66

Vidiot likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

25. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I just noticed that James Cameron's filmography is completely filled with T & A.