What equipment might you buy or sell in 2023?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike-48, Dec 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Let's drink to that :cheers:!
    Same here, started my 'upgrade thing' 5 years ago. And I'm at the same place as you now. No more stress about this or that not sounding the way you would want it to sound, just put any album on in the knowledge that it will sound its best on your system. The only thing that could be bettered possibly is dual subs instead of one. And yes, I know, everything can be bettered but I don't feel the need that it should be better as it's good enough for me. Compared to 5 years ago, I'm in a different zone, the good zone :cool:.

mreeter, Mike-48, jonwoody and 5 others like this.
  2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I'm thinking about getting another M2 for a sound card purpose only and a small cheapy laptop for music player, operation and a storage only. Any small laptop can you guys recommend?

Mike-48 likes this.
  3. Slowhand

Slowhand Forum Resident

I spent all my 2023 money yesterday. Bought my local dealers P10 with the Aphelion 2. It hurt to spend that money but I got over it 2 minutes into the first record.

4. Classic Car Guy

Congrats to the new setup!

5. Slowhand

Slowhand Forum Resident

Thanks. Quite pleased with myself at the moment. It wasn’t something I was planning on doing. I’ve thought about the P10 but didn’t want to spend the money.

Dealer offered his demo for a price I couldn’t walk away from.

Replaced my P3/Exact so a pretty big jump. Now I just need to find a new home for the P3.

6. Classic Car Guy

The continuation of having a nice sounding system is looking for a to the next level pressing or media source.
    There are lots of music that I tend to have 2 copies of different recordings. I guess if the original is just like that, that's all there is. I wanna try to run this one album called Stages - David Benoit and transfer it to reel tape using dynamic expander and see if it gonna make history.

Mike-48 and Slowhand like this.
  7. Wenthrope

Wenthrope Forum Resident

I’ve been using my Cambridge Audio 851N as my DAC ever since I purchased an used Innuos Zen early 2022. Plan for 2023 is to buy a stand-alone DAC and sell the 851N.

Rick58 and Mike-48 like this.
  8. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

well i didn't start the day thinking I needed new headphones, but I just bought a pair of Grado PS2000E off the AudioMart.

A couple years ago I gave a listen to a bunch of phones at a nearby hifi shop and I definitely liked the grados the best -- even more than much more expensive Focals and others.

For some reason I remembered that field trip this morning, as I had people in the house, and I thought it would be nice to listen without bothering anyone, and I looked on USAM and there was a nice pair for a great price and well, here we are.

Tony C., Mike-48, adamos and 3 others like this.
  9. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

I must admit...im more addicted to playing with different Dacs than i am speakers right now...which is very unsual for me....once you dive into Dacs...its like a whole new world once you spend 200 bucks on 1...

Mike-48 and Earthbound2 like this.
  10. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self Thread Starter

From what I've seen, you are lucky. Not many seem to enjoy both taking the journey and arriving at a destination.

11. Earthbound2

Earthbound2 Forum Resident

You may be in trouble! Lol.

Tawaun A Williams and Mike-48 like this.
  12. Mike-48

I can't think what an "M2" is right now. As to laptops, I have a large Acer, and my wife has a small one, and we have been pleased with them. It's been 2-3 years with them. When I was working, I'd get ThinkPads, but for retired life the Acer is just perfect.

13. Mike-48

Dealer demos sure can be great deals. I got several items that way that wouldn't have been affordable otherwise. And what's not to like about a full warranty?

mreeter and Rick58 like this.
  14. Tawaun A Williams

Indeed i am im pretty sure im going to buy the SMSL SU-10 or the SMSL D400 EX probably next week to...lmao

Mike-48 and Earthbound2 like this.
  15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I’m thinking it might be time to finally unload my KEF 104.2’s
    Though I’m loathe to do so (I bought them new in’86), I haven’t played them to any great extent in 5 years.
    They need work (the foam donuts, plus maybe ferrofluid in the tweeters, again) and I don’t have the time or energy.
    The only question is: do I have them restored before selling, or let the next owner worry about that.

Mike-48 and Tawaun A Williams like this.
  16. Earthbound2

Good luck and be sure to report back your impressions. Always cool to hear how someone views a step “up” in equipment.

Mike-48 and Tawaun A Williams like this.
  17. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Not sure if this is a valid statement, but I had the giant killer Cambridge 840C CD player. It replaced the giant killer Oppo DV980H, and IIUC has basically a “DACMagic” DAC inside.

Thinking the 851N might be similar.

It sounded great, but tbh not much different than the Oppo. If at all.

Then 1.5 years ago I got a Topping D90SE. I HAD to hear what the ESS SABRE DAC sounded like.

Well, if I squinted maybe it sounded a skoch better than the Cambridge … but to me not really significantly better. I kept it anyway, and now since I’ve ripped all my CDs to my ZENmini, I’m giving my 840C to my daughter.

SO … I just succumbed to my latest jones and have a Denafrips Pontus II 12th Anni DAC on the way. I’m HOPING it sounds better, should at least be DIFFERENT … :D

My advice … consider something other than a conventional DAC … maybe you can’t spend $1800 but for $1100 the Ares II seems like a really good one. Used? Maybe last years Venus or something …

FunnyChap, mreeter, Wenthrope and 3 others like this.
  18. Classic Car Guy

I'm thinking of a way how to use an interface card for (playback only) preferably a motu m2, plug in to a non-expensive mini laptop as a wav player and storage. I haven't tried the M2 yet but I been using the higher version M4 (for studio works) which both have the same DAC/ADC and I'm sold on it for 2 years now. Anyone can recommend a small inexpensive laptop?

Tawaun A Williams and Mike-48 like this.
  19. Tawaun A Williams

I most definitely will...i have to learn how to post pics on here.....i have speakers coming tomorrow to...

20. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Tempted to go back to a Chord Hugo TT2, and sell my CTC serviced Garrard 301/SME 309 and get a Chord MScaler for the DAC. 95% of my listening is digital, most modern vinyl has a digital source, and due to health issues I rarely spin vinyl now preferring the conveniance of being able to rest and play what I want from the bed. I’ll save the vinyl that has a nostalgic or sentimental attachmemt (gifts etc) but get the best out of my far larger CD collection.

Maybe… ;)

21. Wenthrope

Wenthrope Forum Resident

I fully agree with your recommendation regarding a non-delta sigma DAC. After reading Jason’s book and Mike’s philosophy on digital, I’m leaning towards getting the Schiit Yggy.

billnunan, Mike-48 and Rick58 like this.
  22. velo_TX

velo_TX Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I

I wrote the following in the thread 'For the Love of Tuners'. I also mentioned in that thread I already have Internet radio capability via my Yamaha TSR-7810 (and thru my PCs of course) and I'm intrigued by the format via HD Radio in my family's Subarus and its apparent lack of multipath distortion and hiss...

I’m thinking about dipping my toe in HD Radio in my home setup…What do you think about the Sangean HDR-15? Sure, it’s just a clock radio, but it does do HD Radio, it has a line out (independent of the volume control) so I can hook it up into the rig (albeit analog), but most important the cost of entry is only $75 USD new on Amazon. I figure if the SQ is decent I can then swing for the HDT-20. (Of course, it’d be a real shame if reality is the HDT-20 has the same HD Radio circuitry as their clock and table radios.)

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    Mike-48 likes this.
  23. Mike-48

I didn't even know that HD radio existed until you posted. Thank you! Our Subaru (a 2012 Forester) is too old, apparently, to have it -- or we didn't bother when we bought it. If you go ahead, please let us know what you think of the Sangean.

24. velo_TX

velo_TX Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I

I know of at least two members of the Forum that have Sangean tuners, @The Beave and @ChristopherFletcher, as they posted on the thread I mentioned previously; they said they have HDT-20 and HDT-1, respectively. Yes, I'd be curious of their, and other Forumers, opinions and experiences on the broadcast format and HD Radio gear. Again, the idea of picking up the HDR-15 is its low $$$ for HD Radio entry. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any substantive tests or reviews about it, probably because folks are thinking 'How could a clock radio be anything remotely hi-fi?!?'.
    Yup, I believe Subarus that don't have those touch screen information panels don't have HD Radio; my 2014 Crosstrek doesn't have it, but the wife's 2018 Outback and daughter's 2017 Forester does.
    Interest in HD Radio at home seems almost non-existent; only Sangean makes a component tuner these days, and Outlaw Audio makes a receiver, the RR2160MkII, that incoporates HD Radio. That wasn't the case several years ago. Looks like the gear manufacturers are chasing markets that have greater ROI.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    The Beave likes this.
  25. Earthbound2

What speakers did you go with?

jonwoody likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.