Rate The Most Recent Movie You Watched

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Goat, Jan 25, 2021.

1. I’m not patronizing you. This movie isn’t for you as I stated. It doesn’t imply anything other than what I stated. Don’t take it personally. Not every movie is for everyone. It’s all about each person’s taste.

2. DLD

DLD Senior Member

To repeat, I came here to rate, not to get your opinion (which you seem intent on providing) about my taste.

3. Chill. Seriously.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  4. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Samurai Cop II. On first viewing I rate it in the B-/C+ range. Some have said it's awful but I had a lot of laugh out loud moments. The plot was a kind of a waste of the two co-stars, and there were dead spots, unlike the original.

5. Finally got around to watching “Mr. Harrigan’s Phone” on Netflix. I had read the short story and wondered how this would translate to the screen. They do a pretty good job of staying true to the story and still crafting a creepy film that manages to also echo Stand By Me. Good job overall although it probably would have made a better short or episode of “The Twilight Zone” if it was still around.

I’ve enjoyed “The Two Jakes”. Saw it in theaters and was a bit disappointed at the time but it has grown on me. It’s not “Chinatown” Jake, but still a very good movie.

unclefred and klockwerk like this.
  6. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Top Gun: Maverick--I didn't like the first half, but the third act improved. 4 outta 5

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Last night, the original 1968 'Planet of the Apes': Still a classic, and my favorite film. It never gets old. A strong 5/5.

Tonight, 'The Cockeyed Cowboys of Calico County': I never knew Dan Blocker was in a feature film until I ran across this one. 3/5.

Ghostworld likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

They should be in another thread I guess but I started watching “knives out glass onion”
    and I turned it off after 10 minutes. For some reason
    iI looked badly directed. I’ll try to pick it up again

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Look at the 1st word of the thread title.

10. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Apologies, 6/10.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Deep Red. it's been years since I last watched it and bought the DVD. I thought it was better than my memory of it, the Goblin score is great. It rivals Tenebrae as my favorite Argento Giallo. A.

wayneklein likes this.
  12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Nine and a 1/2 Weeks. Waste of an hour and a half or so in my book. Was this 50 Shades for a dreary decade?
    Mickey Rourke smirking and whispering for half the movie. Sad because I loved Barfly.
    The best part was the soundtrack, but I checked and see the cd only contains the rock tracks.

unclefred likes this.
  13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Ditto. another vote for Barfly.

14. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Whiplash.
    Haha, from a musician's perspective it's complete hokum, but I can't help but enjoy it. 8/10

RSteven and Morpheus like this.
  15. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

"Triangle of Sadness". 6/10

RSteven likes this.
  16. Top Gun "Maverick"
    I thought it was okay, pretty fun, predictable, and a good movie to watch for the entertainment value.
    I think I would give it a 6/10. This would be higher if there were not so many far fetched aspects within the movie.

DLD, RSteven and Morpheus like this.
  17. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

“Babylon”
    5/10

Way too long, too much story.
    Would have made a great Netflix, HBO or Prime 8-10 part series.
    Would have rated less but for the talent involved on and off camera.
    Worth seeing for the pretty incredible production values, great set pieces and A level acting talent.
    Dammit I wanted it to be better.

No spoiler here -
    Ending your film with clips from moments in film history showing just how great cinema can be might not be the best idea when your film suffers in comparison.

Starting with an elephant literally $hitting in our faces was an, umm … interesting way to start a film.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Lust For Life...9/10 incredibly sad...

unclefred likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

saw the filming of this in NYC...late night.

20. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Michael likes this.
  21. Raw Deal (1948)
    5.5/10 (either a 5 or 6, call it 5.5)

This IMDB review sums it up well for me (though not mentioning Raymond Burr's character's "fetish"....)
    Pat (Claire Trevor) helps bust erstwhile boyfriend Joe Sullivan (Dennis O'Keefe) out of prison. His way of thanking her is to take her to his P.O's home, kidnap her, and decide he would prefer to have her as his girl instead. Complications ensue.

The main selling points of this film are the great John Alton's cinematography, establishing a perfect noir mood that is matched by an eerie theramin-based score and moody, broken Trevor voiceover. The plot is a rather standard 'escapee on the run while also seeking revenge against those who wronged him' that is bolstered by some excellent performances, particularly from Claire Trevor as a woman attracted inexplicably to a man who will never return her feelings, but is happy enough to keep her around and keep using her as long as it suits him.

Despite the performances, the characters are weak. Trevor's Pat is the most sympathetic character (haven't we all been attracted to exactly the wrong person at some point in our lives?), but O'Keefe's Joe is a cypher - it is impossible to determine his motivation for doing almost anything he does, and as such is basically an unlikable protagonist. There is absolutely no reason for his sudden advances toward Ann Martin (Marsha Hunt) outside of a desire to conquer, possess, and corrupt her, but even this is murky.

There is a also a sequence in which a fleeing murderer temporarily shacks up with out central trio and their benevolent helper, and when I say temporarily, I mean TEMPORARILY. This murderer (played by Whit Bissell) shows up, rants and raves for a couple of minutes, then leaves, having left no lasting impact on either story nor character.

Also worth mentioning is a rather sadistic performance by Raymond Burr as the target of Joe's revenge plans. This 'villain' is rather hands-off in terms of driving story, but the character is kept interesting through his very nature.

Main pros: excellent performance by Claire Trevor, classic noir atmosphere and cinematography.

Main cons: unlikable characters, illogical character/plot decisions.

Recommended if you can look past the strange character decisions and pointless plot excursions.

22. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

Manhattan

10/10

DLD likes this.
  23. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

I thought this was excellent. Thanks for the tip!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  24. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Knives out 8/10
    Glass Onion 7/10

RSteven likes this.
  25. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Have you seen Oxygen? It's another good Netflix movie that would have worked well as a Twilight Zone episode.

DLD and wayneklein like this.