Gary Moore appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by boots, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Thanks. I haven't explored much of his non-blues stuff, this beautiful.

JulesRules likes this.
  2. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Becoming more "visual" in my old age. Love this one

JulesRules likes this.
  3. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

"Sunset" off the same album is great too. Originally on a Cozy Powell record. I've made a Spotify playlist of non-album tracks and collaborations:
    Gary Moore – Rarities & Bonus Tracks
    I like the songs on the album a lot. It's his most personal album up to that point.

Amnion, shaboo and evh5150 like this.
  4. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Yeah, even with the drum machine it's comfortably my favourite Moore album.

sathvyre, shaboo and JulesRules like this.
  5. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

It's often rated as one of his best but I just can't get into it, altough I really enjoy some of the tracks when played live...

6. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I'm another big fan of Wild Frontier. Would I prefer a real drummer on it? Sure. Still, I find the songs to be really good, and I reckon it's his most emotional/moving album.

Sorry to hear you can't get into it, @Pouchkine ! Hopefully one day it'll click for you.

7. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Gary Moore's 'Celtic-Rock' stuff is by far my favorite style in which he plays, and Wild Frontier is the greatest example of that sound. In spite of the drum computer my favorite album by him!

Anthrax, Leigh Burne and JulesRules like this.
  8. JulesRules

I wonder how many GM fans are familiar with this ten-minute jam from the late 90s called "All the Way from Africa"? Really an interesting listen and a shame that it's become such a rarity. I'd buy a deluxe edition of Dark Days in Paradise in a heartbeat - the additional material would make a fine companion album.

9. Tajo1960

Tajo1960 Tajo = tayo (tata, dad ~ in slang)

I’m a big Gary Moore fan. His "Blues Alive" has been the No. 1 CD album in my collection for me for a long time.

John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers with Gary Moore - So Many Roads
    Montreux Jazz Festival 2008 Manday 7th July 2008 Special Guest Gary Moore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwc7ZEYfWYc

dzjc, SonicBob, Amnion and 4 others like this.
  10. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

Sure wish this set was released on BluRay/download/cd. This version of So Many Roads is spectacular!

Tajo1960 and JulesRules like this.
  11. Leigh Burne

"Separate Ways" from that gig is incredible too, and I'm not generally a fan of his blues stuff.

12. Bucks

Bucks Forum Resident

Both Blues Alive and Live Blues are absolutely fantastic.

Amnion and JulesRules like this.
  13. JulesRules

A Different Beat has been reissued on CD and double LP. I bought the original CD a year ago, so there isn't really much of interest for me there, but I had a look at the new liner notes and there are a few gems...

(If you've seen Steve Hackett on any recent tour, you've seen Roger King - he plays keyboards live and does a lot of programming and producing on Steve's studio albums.)

And this hilarious quote from Gary Moore about clearing a sample:

14. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I'd love a vinyl box of his Jet and Mirage years starting with Back on the Streets and ending with After the War

15. boots

boots Chokma! Thread Starter

I'd love a boxset of EVERYTHING!

16. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

As we still don't have good-sounding versions of his "Metal" albums (Run For Cover, Victims Of The Future, Wild Frontier, After The War) on CD and vinyl, I started remastering "Run For Cover" and "Victims Of The Future" for my private and personal archives. Believe it or not, but there is a MUCH BETTER sound hidden behind these bad original masterings....if you work properly with some EQ settings, everything sounds like completely different (and improved) mixes...

17. Leigh Burne

Yeah, more than anything I want some decent reissues of his rock era stuff. The Virgin remasters mostly sounded atrocious and while they did include some good bonus tracks, there was still a lot missing.

slipkid, Markyp and Eric Weinraub like this.
  18. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Huge fan of Gary(RIP). I have an econo-pack CD edition that includes Wild Frontier, Run For Cover, Still Got the Blues, After Hours and Blues for Greeny that's just killer! Lately, I've been listening to the Deluxe pack of the Sydney Opera House gig from '78 when he rejoined Lizzy for the third and final time and WOW! SOOO much energy and frantic precision from him on the fretboard with those songs. He really was an extraordinary guitarist that has been so overlooked and underappreciated in certain areas of the world, particularly here in the States, IMO. Definitely one of my top five guitarists ever in any style or form. Basically it's Jeff Beck then Gary for me as the top two of the greatest ever.

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It wouldn't surprise me if his Corridors through After The War run was one day given to Andy Pearce for remastering, to be released later on one of those multi-disc fatboy jewel case sets. It's up to the label(s), I guess.

JulesRules, sathvyre, slipkid and 4 others like this.
  20. Leigh Burne

Supposedly the rights situation is a mess and part of why they haven't been touched in two decades.

I'd love for Pearce to have a crack at them though. Apart from Thin Lizzy's back catalogue he's already done a bunch of Lizzy alumni's solo/other band work (21 Guns and Wild Horses spring immediately to mind) so it'd be nice for him to get to do (more of) Gary's (he already did that expanded Back on the Streets reissue).

21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Do you have any more info that would allow you to elaborate a little? I was thinking his 1982-1989 run having all been on Virgin would make it reasonably straightforward, but I guess other parties are involved too. Problems within Moore's estate?

JulesRules and slipkid like this.
  22. Leigh Burne

I'm afraid I don't know, it's just something I've heard said by several others before.

I guess it's possible that Moore's own vocal dislike of his hard rock period makes his estate reluctant to celebrate those albums, but I'd be guessing there.

It's been mentioned in this thread (probably by me - I'm still not over it :laugh:) that his Stockholm gig was supposedly slated for a DVD release at one point, but that got nixed. Likewise the Back on the Streets reissue from a few years back was apparently going to be a two-CD set, but then all the unreleased bonus stuff they planned to put on there (including "Road to Pain", I expect) got cut. So there's obviously something getting in the way of these things.

slipkid, Pouchkine and Anthrax like this.
  23. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Just finished Harry Shapiro's biography. I didn't know
    much about Gary's personal life at all. Great read. Moore
    played Russia, Ukraine, Japan, Portugal, South Korea,
    Bulgaria (or had plans to) but avoided Canada like the
    plague.

JulesRules and slipkid like this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I don't think one single artist that I really really dig have ever released an album that I despise more than Gary's A Different Beat. And that's saying something, because there are a lot of really horrible albums by bands I like out there.
    Gary is my favorite guitarist ever, despite the fact that the last 20 years or so of his career he made music that I either hated (EG: A Different Beat) or bored me to death (his blues stuff).

Michael Schenker is my favorite LIVING guitarist - with similar caveat that his albums over the last 20+ years have been pretty awful songwise (IMO).

Zackster and SonicBob like this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I had heard/read somewhere that the Stockholm release was in the works, or at least planning stages, but when he died everything got nixed because of rights issues without him around there was no clearcut leader/owner & too many legal wranglings to overcome that would have required his involvement?? I don't know the whole story obviously.

I think it is criminal that his career - especially the rock stuff that I most love - hasn't been given a boxset treatment with tons of rarities and most of all better sound than the current earbleeder remasters.