SACD - Are you surprised at the format's recent resurgence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

One of my music highlights of 2022!

Jagger69, ispace, layman and 4 others like this.
  2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

In the year 2022, the last Boeing 747 rolled off the production line. 747 also happened to be the number of SACD released worldwide in 2022.

At the beginning of 2022, there were 14,258 SACD releases listed on hraudio.net. By January 1, 2023, that number has grown to 14,846 releases, which represented an increase of 588 new SACD releases on that website for 2022.

However, a number of new SACD releases weren't documented on hraudio.net. For example, Analogue Productions' SACDs of Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" and "Everything Must Go". Or the 50 classical SHM-SACD reissues (on the Deutsche Grammophon and Decca labels) from Japan Universal Music, released in November 2022.

After accounting for the releases that have already been added, and not added, to hraudio.net during 2022, there were an additional 107 SACD releases in Hong Kong. All together, that makes a total of 747 new SACD releases worldwide for 2022. In case you want to know how that compare to previous years....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    mikmcmee, Bill Mac, Dr. J. and 15 others like this.
  3. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

Wanna see an SACD revival, a'la vinyl. Granted, the SACD format was never really mainstream...

4. velo_TX

velo_TX Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I

As I mentioned in the ‘Retirement’ thread:
    “…(I won’t hold my breath; it’ll take more than MoFi and Dutton numbers to bring back the big guns.)…and besides, the big guns are making money by licensing to the small-batch operations, and they don’t have to gear up to support ‘niche’ markets.”

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  5. layman

layman Forum Resident

I think it may already be happening but in a low key kind of way. Anecdotally, I am hearing more and more music lovers say they are getting the SACD rather than the vinyl version of a release because the vinyl is too expensive. SACDs (as currently priced) are a bargain (in comparison)!

mikmcmee, Bill Mac, gregorya and 10 others like this.
  6. soundboy

I remember many years ago when MoFi was just doing 24K gold CDs and those were at least $24.99 (or maybe $29.99). Now MoFi hybrid SACDs are "just" $30.00/each.

Bill Mac, Jarleboy, layman and 2 others like this.
  7. ispace

ispace Senior Member

I think the MoFi controversy has also injected some new life into the SACD, giving DSD even more credibility as a high-resolution archive format.

8. Omnio

Most definitely. It'd be even more cool if they made the quad dsd transfers available for sale, too. Not sure how many of you are aware of the Exton SACD classical releases, but they just ooze quality. I've recently bought one and I'm thoroughly impressed.

[​IMG]

It took me a long time to find one of these on the second hand market, but it was worth the wait.

Even the plastic they used for the case is of different material then the rest of my SACDs. Much more luxurious to the touch. Also, the paper they have printed on is of utmost quality. Don't get me started on the sonics, it's also ridiculously nice.

9. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Which ones do you recommend off of this list?
    Exton (2)

10. Omnio

I wish I could say I had them all, but that would not be true. I've encountered some of their HDCDs and SACDs and they all exuded quality, inside out. I wouldn't dare to critique the musical performances though.

11. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Where I live MFSL SACDs used to be €38 for a long time (pre COVID), and currently are €45.

Fun fact: the Equinoxe MFSL CD I bought for 50 Dutch Guilders (pre Euro era) in 1995 would be €42 nowadays (after inflation correction). So the current price doesn’t seem too expensive.

Fun fact 2: 50 guilders would actually be €22.73 in 1995 (using the official conversion rate). So the rest (€19.27) is inflation correction. :sigh:

kees1954 and Jagger69 like this.
  12. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I’ve been hoping for an SACD resurgence like many of you, but to be honest, the quality of Qobuz 24/192 streamed through my recently purchased Marantz KI Ruby comes close enough to SACD that I don’t really feel the need to purchase the SACD version as much as I thought I would.

Bill Mac and Lemon Curry like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

That's great, but Qobuz doesn't have any of those great remasters by MFSL, DCC, AF, AP or IR.

jmadad, wellhamsrus, ispace and 6 others like this.
  14. bgiliberti

Great point. I recognize the first three, but what do AP and IR stand for? I’ll have to check them out. I’m not a big fan of MFSL‘s mastering style, however. I really loved Steve‘s work at AudioFidelity, both CD and SACD, but I believe they are now defunct unfortunately.

15. George P

George P Notable Member

AP = Analogue Productions
    IR = Intervention Records

16. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Yost likes this.
  17. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

oh they do, just in high res PCM, not dsd

18. bgiliberti

I can’t figure out how to tell on that. For example, I found a high resolution version of thriller at 24/192, it sounds very good, but there’s no way to tell on Qobuz whether it’s from one of the audiophile labels. I will enjoy it regardless, but it would be nice to have an idea of its provenance.

19. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

yeah it's often not possible to tell but they do mark remasters at times- the Animals 2018 remix for instance is a separate listing from the old master.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, it does have that sound for sure. I still love this record, though.
    I prefer acoustic drums, as well.

21. soundboy

22. velo_TX

@Omnio, where did you get your Exton SACDs from, and HDCDs from Exton? Did they apply Peak Extend? What titles do you have? Names, I want names! :)

Jarleboy and Jagger69 like this.
  23. Omnio

My ex-gf is in Japan and she helps me to buy locally, with me, in the US. She's a peach. The prices quoted on Ebay and Discogs are beyond ridiculous.

24. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Looks like Benny Carter and Hampton Hawes SACDs are in over at Craft Recordings; presumably shipping soon. "Newly remastered audio from the original tapes by Bernie Grundman."

bruce2, velo_TX, layman and 1 other person like this.
  25. velo_TX

Kyhl, jhm, Jarleboy and 1 other person like this.