Golden Globes:2023

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Crack To The Egg, Jan 10, 2023.

1. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

It's a shame Avatar didn't win anything. Stupid Golden Globe's.

2. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Jerrod Carmichael - Wikipedia it amazes me who this forum knows , and who it doesn't know

Moonunit likes this.
  3. Djmover

Djmover Forum Resident

I can’t believe Jennifer Coolidge won for the White Lotus she is a terrible actress and was hands down the worst thing about the 2 seasons of the white lotus .
    Thankfully the rest of the cast and the storyline made up for it .

Bhob likes this.
  4. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Wrong - she was amazing and magical. Well deserved award.

mmars982, brownie61 and carrick doone like this.
  5. Adam Pajda

JEREMY ALLEN WHITE :goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:

6. Djmover

Djmover Forum Resident

Amazing and Magical ?
    Your kidding right
    She spent 2 seasons with her eyes half closed acting like she was constantly on pain killers and stumbling her lines .
    Nothing magical about that just highly annoying .

7. Adam Pajda

"Your kidding right" - that's "YOU'RE"

"She spent 2 seasons with her eyes half closed acting like she was constantly on pain killers and stumbling her lines" - You know that was intentional right? That is called acting and she does that wonderfully.

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

No Rerservation Dogs again...

9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Happy to see The Fabelmans win best picture.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

don't you think she is playing herself (the dumb blond - no offense intended at all), especially now that she is getting some extra credit for doing so?

11. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

o_O why is this here? I didn't say I didn't know who he was, I said he was a terrible host for the show.:rolleyes:

RSteven likes this.
  12. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Not a bad show overall. Few thoughts:

• Eddie Murphy is a class act and still funny as heck. Tracy Morgan's intro was great and very heartfelt. That particular award was my show highlight.
    • Did not care for the host. I didn't find him funny or engaging. He seemed quite awkward IMO.
    • I had NO idea that Ke Huy Quan was acting again! Can't wait to watch his movie now.
    • As usual, I didn't see many of the shows or movies that won (or were nominated) but I almost always go back and check stuff out. High on my list are The Fabelmans, Severance, White Lotus & The Banshees.

Bring on the Oscars!

13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Regarding Coolidge, for me, she was the one "meh" about Season 1 of The White Lotus, as I do feel like she always plays a variation of herself, and I find her particular style a bit off-putting, but I was much more impressed with her in Season 2. That changed my view a bit on her. In a show filled with great performances, I do find it a bit weird that she is the only winning acting awards for The White Lotus (she has now won an Emmy and a Golden Globe), but she seems pretty well liked by her peers, and that always helps.

Tanx and RSteven like this.
  14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Jerrod Carmichael should receive a separate award for worst host ever, IMO. He lost the crowd almost immediately, which is quite amazing, since they really wanted to like him for obvious reasons. He was amazingly unfunny for a stand-up comedian, extremely awkward and insulted everyone from Tom Cruise to Whitney Houston, without even a bit of humor with it. I really miss Ricky Gervais, who managed to mock all of Hollywood in a funny way without seeming personal or self indulgent. He also was hysterically funny while doing it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  15. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Other than the host (guess he is the king of extremely dry comedy), loved many of the winners of the night. Got many of them right especially Jeremy Allen White (The Bear is awesome!), Julia Garner( the great Ozark), Austin Butler, Paul Walter Hauser (Blackbird…check that out if you didn’t see it), Amanda Seyfried (as Elizabeth Holmes!) and Evan Peters (Dahmer…what a performance).
    Very nice that The Banshee’s won 3 awards! Some love to House Of The Dragon, Kevin Costner in Yellowstone and some White Lotus love (missed hearing the theme from the show).
    That speech by Coolidge was a pisser and Mike White’s reaction was something to see, he really felt the love.

Noticed that everyone gets the “music” at the end of a speech except Steven Spielberg of course. :)
    I mentioned to my wife they wouldn’t dare shut him down and they didn’t.

16. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

It was held on a weekday so as to not compete with NFL football last regular season weekend.

17. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

It was hilarious that both Austin Butler commented to the piano player during his speech
    "Maybe you should play Suspicious Minds" and especially Michelle Yeoh who said "Oh stop
    it! I CAN beat you up.." And she can. Watch her in this clip from Supercop (1992). She can probably
    STILL kick butt. I've been a major fan of her for 40 years, and I'm glad she finally got recognized.
    (That IS her on the motorcycle and the stunt. No CGI or stunt double).

Crack To The Egg, JohnG and RSteven like this.
  18. JohnG

Michelle Yoeh and Ming-Na Wen have aged incredibly well over the years, two of my favorite Asian actresses.

19. sixtiesstereo

Michelle mentioned during her speech that she's now 60 years old. No way. She looks like she's 40,
    and still incredibly attractive.

RSteven and JohnG like this.
  20. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Aubrey Plaza was really excellent in S2, especially tough considering her character is complicated and understated.

RSteven likes this.
  21. JohnG

I heard her say that an agreed, an incredibly beautiful woman of her 60s without obvious plastic surgery.

sixtiesstereo and RSteven like this.
  22. JohnG

There were many good choices in the categories that would have been just as proper but I did agree with most of the winners. Good job Golden Globes, welcome back.

RSteven likes this.
  23. sixtiesstereo

I just stumbled on this interview from last year where she comments, in detail, on her various roles over the
    decades from Supercop to Crouching Tiger to James Bond and on and on. What a remarkable career.

RSteven and JohnG like this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I enjoyed Carmichael on SNL and his comedy special but this kind of show definitely wasn't the right fit for his style. That aside, the rest of the golden globes on display did not disappoint.

RSteven likes this.
  25. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Thank you. I for one had no idea who he was. I thought he stunk but at least I know who he is now.