Best songs from pop/rock's "dead zone", 1960-62

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Buggyhair, Mar 18, 2021.

1. nocturnal-transmissions

nocturnal-transmissions logic and proportion

“Sinful Woman” — Bill Browning & His Echo Valley Boys (1960)

When the steel guitar hits at the 0:27 mark... it kicks into another gear. Would love to have heard Joe Ely’s late ’70s band tackle this one.

Island IR-11, 1960

2. SPF2001

SPF2001 a must to avoid

Lloyd would've torn it up.

3. nocturnal-transmissions

No doubt. Although I just realized that Bill Browning sounds more like Jimmie Dale Gilmore than Joe Ely, so maybe the Flatlanders, with Maines and the rest of the crew backing?

John B Good and SPF2001 like this.
  4. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

This song is fantastic...thanks for posting!

5. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Just saw the posts on the Duchesses and am wondering myself if it was Jackie DeShannon who wrote the songs in question. I'm a big fan of Chicago soul and haven't heard of the group before, I'll try to check my copy of Robert Pruter's Chicago Soul book for info. Here's an old online discussion on these songs on 45cat.com:

https://www.45cat.com/record/c7019

6. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I've already looked in Robert Pruter's book and elsewhere without being able to discover any information on the Duchesses to date, although I've not given up yet. Jackie DeShannon had been resident in Illinois during the mid 1950s and appeared on radio and TV there as Sherry Lee Myers when a young teenager. Perhaps she was visiting her parents in the Chicago area in 1960 and then placed the three songs with the Duchesses (who she might possibly have known from before) ... but I remain puzzled.

This is an extensive list of the songs Jackie was known at the time (compiled in 1996 and updated in 2000) to have written.
    The Songs Of Jackie DeShannon

7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Wonder if Clarence Frogman Henry would have liked to have recorded that one :)

8. John B Good

Rather strangled articulation of boogie woogie? Perhaps that's why it was unissued.

9. John B Good

I'm hearing that!

10. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Boogie Woogie Country Girl' by Jo Ann Campbell
    In the notes with the Bear Family Records compilation on which it was the title track it is said that at the time she was battling with her producer (Sid Feller who had "absolutely no tolerance" for rock'n'roll) over the material she wanted to record. She later said when talking to Stuart Colman "I told (Sid Feller) there was one more song I wanted to do, but I didn't have an arrangement on it. Of course he showed little interest, but I told him the session players - guys like Ernie Hayes and Al Caiola - would pick it up real easy ... so literally in the last ten minutes of the session he reluctantly said it was okay. 'Tell the guys what you want to do' he said. I guess we managed it in about two maybe three takes, and I never heard it again"

11. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Crazy Moon' by Jimmie Raney and Sally Bennett (1960)

b/w 'You Drink Too Much Booze' by Jimmie Raney and Slim Slaughter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWm1VUZJPJk&ab_channel=cadlagh1BillKealy
    Jimmie Raney & Sally Bennett / Jimmie Raney & Slim Slaughter - Crazy Moon / You Drink Too Much Booze

Jimmie Raney was a drummer and singer (and not the jazz guitarist Jimmy Raney), possibly aka "Joe DeHorney" taking his stage name from Ma Rainey (who he had performed with as a teenager). The above appears to have been the only release with someone calling himself Slim Slaughter. Sally Bennett may have been the same person who had an earlier moon related release in 1959
    Sally Bennett - Wanna Man From The Moon / Checkin' My Chick

12. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Bad Mouthin' by Willie B. (1961)

aka Darrell McCall - he recorded two songs as demos intended for Jimmy Reed to record, but Jimmy never got to hear them and they were released on a single instead.
    Willie B. - Bad Mouthin' / This I Gotta See
    Wayne Moss - guitar; Charlie McCoy - harmonica; Jim Isbell - drums

Later reissued on a 7" single by Bear Family Records in 2017
    Willie B. - Bad Mouthin'

13. nocturnal-transmissions

“Cheat On Me, Baby” — Rockin’ Saints (1960)

I guess I like my rockabilly with a hot guitar break followed by saxophone embellishment.

Sax man Billy Crandall is from Fort Lee, New Jersey and was in the Royal Teens (“Short Shorts”) where he played alongside pianist Bob Gaudio, who went on to form the Four Seasons. Not much else is known about these guys besides their names: Red Brown — keyboards; Will Moyers — drums; Bill Mohrhoff — bass; Frank Triolo — guitar, vocals; Billy Crandall — sax, vocals.

Decca 9-31144, 1960

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    John B Good likes this.
  14. oldcurmudgeon

oldcurmudgeon Anti-audiophile Extraordinaire

The Phantom "Love Me." Discogs says 1960.

15. oldcurmudgeon

oldcurmudgeon Anti-audiophile Extraordinaire

The Masters "Breaktime" (1961). Check the song writing credit.

John B Good and john hp like this.
  16. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Maybe post rebel Elvis but he was still the biggest act in the world until The Beatles in the early 60s

17. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

John B Good likes this.
  18. nocturnal-transmissions

“Human” — Tommy Hunt (1961)

Oh Lord, why did you make me human?

After Hunt left the Flamingos, this was his first release as a solo act, and the B-side was the hit – R&B #5, Pop #48. A year later, another one of his B-sides was the first recording of Bacharach-David's “I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself.”

Scepter 1219, Jun 1961

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    SPF2001 and john hp like this.
  19. John B Good

Recently listening to a cd of The Playmates and saying - that song is very familiar sounding. But I can only think that either I heard it once on radio when I was kid, and noticed it because my name is John, or someone else made a hit of it . . ,
    Otherwise I did not know this song at all ...
    But I like it and am glad I stumbled across it now

WAIT FOR ME

20. jvs52

jvs52 Forum Resident

A part has a slight resemblance with Paul Anka's Diana

21. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident Thread Starter

I suspect it sounds familiar because it has so many of the cliche elements of that time. It sounds like it was written to be a hit based on pieces of other hits.

john hp likes this.
  22. Trash Panda

Trash Panda Forum Resident

Glad to see this thread still going strong after almost two years. 1960-62 was obviously not as dead a music zone as some believe.

"Cool Breeze" was recorded and issued on the obscure Tip Top label in 1962, then picked up for wider distribution by Chicago's Okeh label in '63. So even though you might see a 1963 date attached to this tune, it's actually from '62. Also, it's by Gerald Sims & the Daylighters. (Okeh dropped the Daylighters name and just listed the artist as Gerald Sims.)

Gerald Sims & the Daylighters - Cool Breeze (1962)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    John B Good and john hp like this.
  23. Trash Panda

Trash Panda Forum Resident

A few years before the Yardbirds tackled it, the tune "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" was a minor hit for Don Level and Bob Love. The recording was issued on the Chicago-based Argo label, a subsidiary of Chess Records. Don & Bob changed the lyrics a bit, making it a little less inappropriate (by today's standards) than the original blues version by Sonny Boy Williamson.

Don and Bob - Good Morning Little Schoolgirl (1961)

24. lou a

lou a Forum Resident

Great record!

25. lou a

lou a Forum Resident

Don’t forget Jack The Ripper.