VAN MORRISON Album by Album Discussion: Part 2 (Wavelength 1978 - Enlightenment 1990)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

In those very few moments over the past few days that I haven't been eating, I've been reading selected passages of the Heylin book.
    I very was interested to find out that Van's preferred method of recording is to just let the tape roll, and then edit the takes after the fact into more bite-sized songs. (Common One was used as an example of where this editing did not take place:laugh: )
    If true, then theoretically, there may be miles and miles of extant extended versions of dozens of songs, which makes the paltry additions to the upcoming remasters that much more of a letdown.

2. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

I don't think there's any evidence of liberation from WB in Van's catalog. The Mercury years continued down a path he had already begun -- toward a deeper, broader exploration of spirituality, then a return to R&B, all within pretty traditional song structures. Common One is pretty much the end of the workouts. I miss them. But if record labels have seemingly no influence on the man, I'm sure my longing for the triumphant return of the Lion will continue to go unheeded. Though Van, if you're listening, the right band, the right venue, some very fine mobile recording equipment and entire night of spiritual workouts. It would be a wonderful gift to the faithful, and I'll bet you'd have a damn good time.

Tim

3. Clarkophile

I've been toying with the idea of making an iPod playlist of Mystical Workouts specifically designed for periods of extended personal contemplation. The trick, I suppose, would be to arrange the songs in such a way as to create a sense of flow.

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i'm all ears...please post these lists soon....and :wave: happy holidays....

5. Clarkophile

Dear boy, so glad you stopped by. Your presence has been sorely missed.
    Can I fix you a festive Irish coffee?

6. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

The baron would call that side of van morrison self indulgent crap LOL

Only joking

Great views expressed here; but i am the last who doesn't like Van Morrison's soul-searching or his longer songs : "Listen To The Lion", even the Live Version of Cypress Avenue. The stuff on Veedon Fleece and the moody autumn songs on Hard Nose The Hardway otuch me deeply and i wouldn't wanna miss those. I prefer them to the Reet Petite and G.L.o.R.I.A. staples. There is just stuff i like and stuff i don't like. From 2 tries of listening to Comon One none was satisfying - so what ? Maybe it clicks some day ? Who knows that ? Certainly not me- i just don't pretend to like it, if i do NOT.
    I don't say he shouldn't have made that album- the fact that so many of you love it is enough proof that this is good stuff for some- but not for the common one's as the song title misleadingly states. Anyway i love Avalon Sunset and i know that probably just as many people hate that, as love Comon One...
    After following Van's carreeer mainly from today's point of view i just was shocked that the quality was that low compared to his 70ies work and esp. in contrast to such on point albums as Wavelength and Into The Music - nothing more, nothing less.
    Since i only owned a hand full of VM albums over the years i am not always exactly sure which album follows the next. So what came next Beautiful Vision ? That's a good one. too - but my favourite "later" album is that kitschy Avalon Sunset.

Those long improvisations should take place on stage. van is too good a songwriter /arranger and singer to indulge on those free form journeys in the studio. Or he should release a DoLP - one with songs and one with improvisations. whatever - no one will ever force me to like that album. i am far too much a music lover with my own aquired taste to fall into that peer pressure / critics trap, "The worlds greatest album is astral weeks - if you dont get that your IQ must be below room temperature". sorry i don't buy that ... My favourite VM albums are It's Too Late To Stop , Now - Hard Nose The Highway, Wavelength, Avalon Sunset, Into The Music, Tupelo Honey, Live At The Grand Opera House Belfast, Veedon Fleece, Poetic Champions Compose, Days Like This and St Dominicks Preview. The ones i don't like are Astral Weeks and Comon One and i am not keen on his Skiffle and Irish Traditional stuff- other than that i can enjoy nearly every album i ever heard from this man-

7. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Baron Von Talbot: whatever - no one will ever force me to like that album. i am far too much a music lover with my own aquired taste to fall into that peer pressure / critics trap, "The worlds greatest album is astral weeks - if you dont get that your IQ must be below room temperature". sorry i don't buy that ...

Baron you only have 11 favorite Van albums and you call yourself a fan.;) :laugh:

I think you nailed it, you are a music lover, with your own preferences. Thankfully there are different opinions that promote different musical expressions. :righton:

In this case I must agree, with those that would like to hear more improvisational "mystical workouts" (not new age). One thing about Van, he can always surprise. I would not bet that we will never hear this kind of song on a recording again, but it has been quite a long stretch without one.

8. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

I'm not buying that either. But I'm also not going for the notion that Van is too good a songwriter to indulge in improvisation in the studio. His purpose is not to provide short, well-crafted pop songs and he has periodically re-emphasised that point.

The way I figure it, Van has been prolific enough to well establish at least 3 separate bodies of work -- the folk/rock/celtic pop song craft, the R&B/blue-eyed-soul master and the unique, almost-jazz mystic workouts. Something for everybody, except those people who just don't like Van. And I don't trust those people.

Tim

9. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

That is a fabulous idea. Please publish the results.

Tim

10. Buzzcat

Buzzcat Bankrupt Radio Lifer

Over xmas, we went to my girlfriends best friend's place. Jenny had made her a mix cd, as usual. I usually get to add one or two songs. Only got one on there this year. The last one. And it was 'When Heart Is Open', obviously inspired by our being on this album.
    Of course I told Deanna that I put a Van Morrison song on it. She said, "Cool! I love Van Morrison, Brown Eyed Girl and stuff like that."
    I asked if she'd heard much of his music beyond what she's heard on the radio and she said no.
    Then I replied, "Well, you've never heard him like you will when you hear that song then."

Hehheh.

I'm one of those that dig the long sprawling workouts. Most especially this song being it was mostly the last of them ever. I know there's an album in the 80's that has a longer song on it so I'll get a refresher when we get there.

11. Clarkophile

I'm getting more and more stoked on this idea. I figure it would be nice to inject shorter bursts of the patented "Van Morrison Spoken Word Reverie" (TM:)) style sandwiched between two larger mystical workouts to act as a kind of bridge; so, for example:

"Almost Independence Day" (mystical workout)
    "On Hyndford Street" (brief reverie)
    "When Heart is Open" (mystical workout)
    "Coney Island" (brief reverie)

Anyway, that's kind of the direction I'm headed in. I may even manipulate the tracks to overlap and create a seamless flow to it. Should be fun.

12. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

Don't forget to inject at least a bit of "Rave on John Donne." I love that one. Can you do a cross-fade in iTunes? I'm sure you can...just as sure that I don't know how.

Tim

13. Clarkophile

Rave On, Tim Farney!:righton:

I would create the cross-fade with WaveLab before importing it into iTunes as one single--extremely lengthy--piece.

14. Clarkophile

Let us know how your girlfriend's friend reacted. My guess is "WTF?":laugh:

15. Baron Von Talbot

That's a good idea with that mix tape. So what should be on it, then ?

Maybe :

Cypress Avenue
    Tupelo Honey
    Listen To The Lion
    Days Like This
    Rave On John Donnee
    Coney Island (The crack was good..)
    Take It Where You Find It
    Venice/U.S.A
    Beautiful Vision (Live 1986 Belfast)
    Happy Cleaning Windows (Live 1986 Belfast)
    Snow In San Anselmo
    Warm Love

CD 1 one

i will work on my iTunes to get something like that and see how it works..

So what shoud be on CD 2 ?

16. Buzzcat

Buzzcat Bankrupt Radio Lifer

If I remember to ask next xmas, I will. Wow! That's Way Too Many Drinks In The Future!

17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

That is actually CRAIC. This is a common error. I first heard the expression when an Irish friend returned from a trip home with his 5 year old child. I asked the little boy how he liked visiting his Grandmother? He promptly replied, "We had some good craic!" His father explained that was an Irish expression for FUN.

I don't think Van is promoting the white rock-like narcotic substance that makes popping sounds when burned. That would not be very mystical.

CRAIC: A northern-Irish term that conveys the combined sensations of good conversation, good company, good times etc.

18. Clarkophile

Rave On, Sneaky Pete. Thanks for the info!

19. DJ WILBUR

:cheers:

yes please

20. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

definitely craic not crack. :)

21. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

Take it from a native, the spelling 'Craic' is not necessarily correct. It has been mooted that this spelling is an attempt to foist a spurious gaelic origin upon the word, to give it a more distinct 'Irish' flavour. When I was young, we didn't spell the word 'craic' (if it was ever written), but crack.
    Gary

22. Clarkophile

HAPPY NEW YEAR and GOOD VANITATIONS to all.

For any newcomers who don't want to wade through past posts to try to figure out where we are, we are currently in a holding pattern while we discuss 1980's Common One album.
    We'll be moving on to 1982's Beautiful Vision in a few days or so.

Nice to see some new faces; the craic/crack is good here.:righton:

23. Baron Von Talbot

of course i knew it was not that smoking drug he was raving about, but i never knew he said Craic and wouldn't have known what that was.
    So thanks for the explanation !
    Happy new Year to every fan of Van, tha man !
    (already listened thru my recently bought DoLP of "It's Too Late To Stop Now" this year..:)..)

24. DJ WILBUR

Tom, I believe we're awaiting on you :tsk: to start Beautiful Vision for 2008........so whats the deal, the holdup?????

Lets get this party started....:D

25. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

After wading in fairly heavily on Astral Weeks through Saint Dominic's, I've been pretty silent. Not for lack of interest, just for lack of time. However I will have no choice but to reappear (even if briefly) when Beautiful Vision is up to the plate. It's an album I can't not talk about! :love:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.