Best Buy vinyl sale (January 2023)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by shnaggletooth, Jan 3, 2023.

1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Bizarre is a good way to describe Best Buy these days. Every time they take four steps forward they take three back. Across all product lines.

Davidmk5, ATMP and JasonA like this.
  2. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

...... The Best buy sale is...... Still over....... Sergeant pepper, rubber soul and back in Black all came up full price right now.

3. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

I'm thinking the same thing. I found an out of the way Best Buy w a large vinyl section with many of the titles listed in this thread as on clearance. They all rang up at the full retail price.

I was bummed that I was days too late on this one.

TerpStation likes this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

But were you also a dollar short?

JasonA likes this.
  5. Bvinyl

Bvinyl Well-Known Member

Still some deals as of yesterday. Was able to find Beatles 1s, twenty one pilots’s blurry face and the foo fighters greatest hits on clearance.

spewey and JasonA like this.
  6. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

I went to one on Saturday and got The Beatles 1 for $17.99.

7. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

I went to my local Best Buy for the first time in a long time.
    There was no vinyl period.
    They had a few movies on BluRay & DVD sets, that was it as far movies/music goes. They had some open box software in the clearance corner.
    The impression that the place left on me was one of not long for this world: stuff was randomly scattered throughout the store. I wouldn't spend a penny in that place.
    Maybe they did have some vinyl and you guys scored it, I hope so.

8. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

The first place I went to felt like that. Walked around the whole store and didn’t see any music at all. Asked an employee and he told me where. It’s a single rack, blink and you’ll miss it in the home audio section.

JasonA likes this.
  9. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Best Buy seems more like a phone store to me these days.

marcb and JasonA like this.
  10. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Best Buy, xfinity, Verizon, seems like they're all trying to be Apple stores. Very sparse, lots of empty space, white walls and little tables. :rolleyes:

11. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Yup! I used to flip through CDs there a lot back in the day; that's where I got all of the Stones ABKCO SACD hybrid releases. You could find imports you couldn't find anywhere else at times, it was awesome.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Same for me at the two different stores I went to. Logically - to me anyway - I thought they would be with the other entertaiment media like DVDs and Blurays.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

BestBuy went all in on music--buying the Musicland chain along the way--before they ultimately decided that music was no longer drawing people into the stores and mostly got out of the biz.

The MusicLand purchase was a HUGE HUGE mistake. They bought the chain (MusicLand/Sam Goody/Suncoast/Media Play) in 2001 for $700M. They gave it away two years later just to get it off the books. Yeah, a write-off of the entire $700M.

jamesc and JasonA like this.
  14. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Yeah it didn’t make a lot of sense to me, felt kind of hidden lol. I went to 4 stores and they were very similar.

15. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

It’s usually in with the turntables.

16. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

digital (not physical) audio and video were a thing in 2001. You have to wonder which MBA thought that acquisition was a good idea.

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Well, there are a more than a few people residing on this forum who vehemently believe and rationalize digital media still is and remains “a thing”… :shrug:

18. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

This is getting off topic.

marcb likes this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

True. But not much on-topic left to discuss….

20. Beholdentonoone

Well as a follow up I visited 2 different Best Buys yesterday. I took 5 of the "clearance" titles to the register for a price check. 4 scanned at full price but the CCR Greatest Hits scanned at $9.98???!!! At the other Best Buy same thing happened with most scanning at full price but the Beatles # 1's was $17.99. This is just bizarre and has become the "Twilight Zone" of vinyl clearance sales!!! I now regret only taking 1 title to the register for a price check at the well stocked store I visited on Sunday. 2 more to hit and will report back with my findings.

21. Bvinyl

Bvinyl Well-Known Member

Good luck. I had about 20 total scanned that were all previously listed in this thread but only 3 of them came up as on clearance.

22. Gatormarkymark

Gatormarkymark Well-Known Member

I couldn't even find 20 in my Best Buy to scan. Wiped out!

23. Bvinyl

Bvinyl Well-Known Member

That is a bummer. I was surprised to find as much vinyl as I did and then I was surprised that so few were marked down based on what I read on here. I was still happy to find three.

24. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

As kind of a post-mortum on this odd Best Buy sale, I found myself in a BB store this morning and checked one title I had in hand at one point but passed with regret, the G&R hits compilation. It came up at full price so game over, I suppose. I'm consoled by listening to The Cars "Moving In Stereo" comp from the sale which is some of the most pristine vinyl imaginable.

Boomy and black sheriff like this.
  25. Beholdentonoone

Not to beat a dead horse (or a dead thread LOL) but I went back to the big, out of the way Best Buy that was well stocked last week. They had the most extensive selection of all the stores I've been to thus far and they had a LOT of titles on the lists posted here (Cars Anthology, GnR Greatest Hits, Judas Priest collection, Beatles, Hendrix, NiN, Dylan and many many more. I decided to take about 20+ titles for a price check. Nearly ALL of them rang up at their "sticker" price...ironically a good few scanned at a price HIGHER than the sticker indicated. I was able to get The Beatles # 1's for $17.99 (the one I previously purchased had some mild dings so I plan to gift or return that one) and Revolver at $9.99. Even the other Beatles titles (Rubber Soul, Abbey Road etc) didn't come up at the clearance price.

I guess my advice is if you have the time (and the same evil obsession as I do) you should take any of the titles from the lists here to get price checked. You may just get luck on a few.