Online Vinyl Stores that don't OVERGRADE!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by themagichoof, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Almost all records that were sealed when I bought them had some kind of warp. So, I don't believe that being sealed for 40–50 years could “guarantee” anything. That's why I'm usually avoiding sealed records, and even if I would ever buy it, I'd never overpaid for the fact that it sealed.
    Besides, I typically prefer UK and other foreign pressings to US ones, and they were rarely sealed even back then, when they were new.

eno789 likes this.
  2. Bvinyl

Bvinyl Well-Known Member

You make some good points. I guess no matter the choice made their will always be risk involved.

3. FanOfTunes

FanOfTunes Forum Resident

It is agreed that near mint (per Goldmine) vintage records are rare. This is why high demand records in near mint condition command significantly higher prices than VG records. It is unethical for a seller to grade a VG record as NM because the seller is trying to maximize profits. The buyer typically cannot see or hear a record on Discogs before purchase, except in rare cases of extraordinary communication. The buyer must trust that the seller understands the criteria used in accurately grading records, and that the seller will not unethically overstate the condition.

If 98% of used records are below near mint, then such records should be graded accordingly.

Regarding buyers' "expectations", there is nothing wrong with a buyer seeking near mint vinyl. There is also certainly nothing wrong with a seller demanding the high premium that legitimately near mint vinyl commands. The market will sort out what an accurately graded record is worth. Transaction prices should not be determined by deception.

For me personally, a VG record is of almost no value. I seek minty vinyl. You might say "Well, then you aren't going to find many records to buy and you will pay a premium." Yes, that is understood. It is accepted. There is no objection, here. I have paid $50 to $300 for many of my used Discogs purchases even though the same records in lesser condition are available for $10 or $20 at the local record store. The whole point of paying the premium is to avoid what is typical.

My luck has been overall pretty good on Discogs but I have indeed upset a few sellers by asking questions about spindle marks on labels, vinyl marks visible under good lighting, and surface noise prior to purchase. One seller got angry because I asked questions about a $30 mint record. He said it was always guys such as me only spending $30 asking about the condition. When I explained that when I sell a record online it doesn't matter if the record is $30 or $300, if it is noisy and scratched I feel an obligation to disclose that information. He then sent me an angry manifesto filled with all kinds of assumptions about my political affiliation, etc. It was unhinged, but quite entertaining.

A few overgraded records have slipped through, and when I contact the seller and indicate I would like to return the record, sometimes a discount is offered. I explain that I am not trying to shake them down for a lower price or make them nervous about feedback. I simply don't want or enjoy noisy marked up records and would have never purchased the record in the first place if I had known that "near mint" by their standards is scratched, spindle-marked, and noisy.

Recent example: I purchased a Robert Ludwig Rush Moving Pictures. There were tons of them pressed, and they are easy to find. The problem is, most of them are beat up. A seller with good feedback on Discogs had one listed as near mint, and provided a short audio sample of the first track in the listing. This is an important record for me, and I wanted a minty Ludwig. I paid a very large premium because of the description and clean sounding audio sample. The seller did say in the description that it has a few ticks at the beginning of side 2 but was otherwise quiet and the vinyl was unmarked. It arrives, and it has a long scratch on side 2. Lots of crackle, then several ticks from the scratch, then more surface noise. Side 2 was simply not near mint by any reasonable metric. I could have bought that same record for $10 or $15 at a used record store. He did not hassle me about the return request, and I am cool leaving positive feedback because I am out nothing and he was a gentlemen about the request for a return.

Every buyer, whether they are cool with F, G, VG, NM, sealed, whatever, deserves accurate grading prior to making a purchase decision. Your point about expectations is understood, i.e. no buyer should expect near mint vintage records to be widely available and inexpensive. The sellers simply need to be honest and market forces will get the pricing right.

As for in print records, I have purchased a ton of records from Acoustic Sounds in the last year, and only had to exchange 2 for defects. Their service is outstanding.

Jgirar01 likes this.
  4. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Forum Resident

Use common sense. Look for red flags. If I see a seller and they have a lot of records listed as NM/M I know they’re generously grading. Because in reality only about 10 percent of used records are truly near mint and when you talk about records from the 50’s 60’s it’s probably even less. Ask questions, get confirmations?..
    I hope you’re being facetious! The better solution is if you’re unhappy with the grade send it back for a refund and try again from someone else! People on here CRY way too much about discogs.

5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I've bought a couple times from Euclid online and both times the vinyl was graded poorly. Pretty much everything arrived about one grading down from what was stated. And I'm not really that picky. I also believe they have had multiple people grading so it could easily be just one person's opinion over there. They may also have another store. The one I've bought from is the St. Louis location. I do like going there when I get the chance. They have a lot of items you don't see often in the wild.

6. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Forum Resident

There’s actually a company called Vintage Media Grading who grades and slabs records now. I hope they fail miserably and go out of business. Records are meant to be played and heard. The commodification aspect is the least interesting part of our hobby. If you buy sealed or slabbed records you have no intention to play just admit to yourself you’re not a record collector. You’re a cover collector!

Cronverc likes this.