Cool quote from David Gilmour on The Who and The Beatles:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claudio Dirani, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall Thread Starter

From a Record Collector mag ol' issue: :righton:

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

That IS pretty cool. Clapton is the only one who I can think might come close to topping him -- Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Beatles White Album, Roger Waters Pros & Con, & many others.

3. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall Thread Starter

Indeed! Clapton must be the cool mother****er David is citing on the interview :D Lucky fellas, both!

4. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Great quote! He is so talented and lucky!

5. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Actually, I think DG has the right attitude about it. At least he enjoys it. It's not just a paycheck to him (well, went down to the studio and did a session, then came home ... blah blah blah).

6. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

A less well-known fact: DG usually donates his session fees to charity.

7. Macca

Macca R'kid

Does anybody know why he worked with Paul? I mean Gilmour is a big name and shouldn't really be a sideman, should he?

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He's been a sideman to dozens of people. He just likes playing guitar, I guess (Imagine that!) He's not the sort of guy who needs to be front and center all the time.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, that's the right attitude. Truth be told, someone in Gilmour's position has no reason to play with someone else EXCEPT because it's fun. I mean, he has more money than he'll ever want, and he has sufficient stature that none of these one-off gigs is going to affect that, either.

If only someone like Jeff Beck had the same attitude...

Kwad

10. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

The other side of it is that people want him on their records or shows, and seek him out because of his great and distinctive style. Plus, he's a sweet guy that gets along (except Roger W!) and works well with people.

11. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

I hope I'm not confusing DG with someone else, but I remember watching a "making of" kind-of-thing where he came in to put down a solo on someone else's record. He recorded 3 or 4 different solos. Then the artist (that I can't remember) asks DG which one he wants to use and he responds why not all of them. They played them all together and they fit and interwove perfectly.

I wish I could remember where I saw that - does it sound familiar to anyone else?

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Paul clearly thinks highly of his abilities to have used him on many sessions, from the mid 80s to the late 90s.

Evan

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I agree!

And David's having fun doing what he does best...play guitar. What could be better than to play with people of that caliber!?

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't think "sideman" is appropriate. Lots of big names guest on other acts' albums - that doesn't make them the equivalent of anonymous session players. Townshend played on Macca's "Press" and Bowie's "Scary Monsters" - does that somehow diminish his status and make him a "sideman"? :confused:

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:confused:
    He's a guitar player, he likes playing guitar! How does playing in a band with someone else make you a sideman? With that thinking we'd have nothing but solo performances by one guy on a stage with a spotlight on him.

16. shmuckler

shmuckler Forum Resident

Clapton played with Phil Collins and with Cher, Nenneh Cherry and Chrissy Hydne (sorry about spelling). That counts MINUS two. :D

17. BZync

BZync Senior Member

That was Ringo speaking about Gilmour's contributions to Ringo Rama.

18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I remember that as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.