Beatles German Pressings - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tommyboy, Dec 29, 2007.

1. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

2. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

It should be noted that the "Blue Odeon" era lasted from 1969 to 1977. A Blue Odeon pressed in 1969 will have more in common with an earlier issue than with a Blue Odeon from the mid-1970s. Also, the change to the 062 in the calalogue number in 1969 was a bureaucratic decision dictated by the European Community-it doesn't indicate a different pressing.

3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Thanks for answering my question about "Thank You Girl".:wave:

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks, but I own this as well as Die Beatles.

5. Tommyboy

How is the blue label Odeon Revolver? Is it awful as well?

My Something New is on the blue label and it sounds lifeless, however the copy of Beatles Greatest that I own, on the blue label, sounds pretty nice.

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Thats a nice one and not a bad price if its clean. I have one (with the candy striped inner sleeve) and the low end is very impressive. Compared to the UK Y/B Parlophone, its noticeably heavier on the low end and has a slightly different tone to it. The UK has a better mid-range (voices, instruments, etc.) and is a bit more balanced or level sounding.

7. Nad 214

Nad 214 Forum Resident

I don't know which one you had BUT The German Apple Help is one of the quietest copies I have and one of if not the best sounding as well.

LitHum05 and john lennonist like this.
  8. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I think it sounds excellent. I would grab it at $40.

9. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

not the cheapest price, but far from the highest, too.
    Is it a Gatefold with The Beatles in uniforms behind a yellow background ?
    If in good shape- Listen to it if possible - get it.
    You won't loose money and get one of the most important pieces of music history in original form. They will probably get more valuable in the future.
    If you see a copy of "The Beatles" white album make sure it is a numbered copy and opens from the top.
    Listening to that struck me. The Copy i played looked just VG+ , but it was as quiet as any 200 GRAM QUIEX CLASSIC LP should be (but never actually is) and the dynamics - from another world. If you see that DoLP you can pay double the price - 80 Dollars. Seen copies offered for more than 700 Dollars. If they actually sell for that price i dont know. They are surely worth that type of cash (imho). Maybe the best Music ever pressed on Vinyl?

Marc Perman likes this.
  10. emkay

emkay Senior Member

The one I have sounds pretty poor compared to the Apple.

11. emkay

emkay Senior Member

I think this sounds good, too. I was somewhat underwhelmed when I initially heard it because it was not the dramatic difference I heard with the Apple Revolver, but compared to an early 80's UK pressing it sounds very good.

12. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I have a late 1970s German Blue Box. I agree that the Apple "Revolver", "Pepper" and "White Album" all sound excellent. "Abbey Road" also sounds extremely good. I like it much better than my 1980s UK pressing.

However, I would avoid German pressings of "With The Beatles" and "A Hard Days Night." Both sound horrible, with no top end whatsover. The vinyl is dead quiet, though.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  13. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'm curious what but what don't you like about it?

I have a near mint 072 prefix stereo copy that sounds wonderful.

john lennonist likes this.
  14. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I have a blue label Odeon Rubber Soul I bought in the mid seventies that is my reference copy....

BUT - I can only attest to the fact that it beats any of the US Capitol pressings and the remixed CD. It does have a pretty nasty droput in Norwegian Wood to boot.

15. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I bought a blue label Odeon 062 prefixed copy of Rubber Soul 2 years ago and it sounds dull, dull, dull.

The cover's in beautiful shape so I framed it and put it up on my wall.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  16. emkay

emkay Senior Member

I have the same experience -- did you notice a lot of print through? I hear a lot of "pre-echo" in the rills between tracks on that version, or at least my copy of it.

I couldn't find an Apple (if one exists) but the green label Odeon with the 072 prefix sounds MUCH better.

17. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

I'm very interested in hearing an Apple "Revolver". I hear the bass is something to behold.

18. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Same for my 072 Rubber Soul pressing, just amazing! Compare it to a US pressing you'll be ticked off that Capital short changed us all those years. Maybe some people will say the bass is too much but I like it. I have about 7 different pressings so I can always change to another version if I want less bass:)

19. Tommyboy

It sounds lifeless to me. I have the 062 prefix. Kind of dull.

20. Evan Guest

Evan Guest Forum Resident

Yes indeed, compared to my -2 UK it is a very different slab of wax.I really
    enjoyed both.On the opening cut 'Taxman' the Bass is left and right on the
    German Apple and only on the left on the UK Parlophone.There are either
    somewhat different mixes involved or some artistic freedom going on during
    the cutting of the C 072.
    Both are examples of the endless nature of my search for the best sounding
    pressing.If I ever do find a C 072 A2 / B2 to compare to my C 072 A1 / B1
    I hope that my conclusions are the same.
    First though, I hope to have the Y/B Parlophone someday soon.If I remember
    correctly, didn't the cutting switch to solid state sometime in 69? This would
    mean that all UK Parlophones sold between 66 and 69 were Y/B and/or -1's.

21. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The UK matrices are a bit more complicated than that. First, theres stereo and mono. First UK stereo pressings of With The Beatles and Rubber Soul started with -2. It was not until there was a need to cut additional lacquers that the later cuts (after solid state came into use) were made. Most of this occurred in the early '70's. IIRC, a member posted pictures of several master tape boxes from the MFSL box set and one could read the dates. The stereo Revolver was re-cut (making it -2) in the 1970's but I'd have to re-check it for the actual date. There is/was thread on Beatles tube to solid state cut transition info.

22. emkay

emkay Senior Member

I think there is a chance some artistic liberties have been taken by the folks who cut the 072 Revolver. Not only has the bass "moved" but the timbre of the count-in on "Taxman" has been altered - it sounds very different from the rest of the song like it is coming through a telephone or something -- all of the highs and lows are rolled off. Then when the band kicks in its like a kick in the chest -- the frequency range extend for miles in either direction, and it draws LOTS of attention to the Bass sound everybody talks about with this pressing.

I like it, but as I noted earlier it may not be "correct."

23. Evan Guest

Evan Guest Forum Resident

Thanks for this and the LZII thread! Bearing in mind that covers and vinyls get
    switched, I suspected my -2 Revolver to be a 60's press due somewhat to the
    warm tubey sound but mostly to the 'Emitex' Record Cleaner add on the back.
    I'll look for the thread you mention and see if my listening tests are inconclusive
    due to lack of a Y/B -1 for comparisons.

24. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I haven't listened recently enough to comment on the sound, but don't forget that the stereo German "With The Beatles" has the rare "hi hat" count-in to All My Loving. I have 2 copies - one on white and gold Odeon from about 1967 (STO 73568 - Back cover has ad for later albums) and a later 1970's one on blue Odeon. I also have an original 1963 mono copy (O 83568 - much more rare) on green Odeon - the mono has NO hi-hat intro.

25. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

The "hi hat" version is also on the World's Best compilation

Attached Files: