"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Yeah, I catch up on texts while it plays. You could probably just watch the last 10 minutes most weeks. Maybe in the finale we'll find out what they really accomplished this year.

2. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

The season finale was last week.

3. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Last night in Canada

numer9 likes this.
  4. jrice

jrice Senior Member

So a lot of build up with very little payoff this year. But next year looks good, lol.

ssmith3046 and numer9 like this.
  5. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Could it be? Another waste of time season where they found nothing and answered no questions? Could it be?

johnod, Chris DeVoe, Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

The gift that keeps on (not) giving. As ridiculous as it is, I love it.

SpaceGhost2112 likes this.
  7. There is a story in Yahoo news today that stated they finally found the treasure and that there was a big pay-off. But in classic "Curse Of Oak Island" style they were not just going to tell the reader what they found -oh no. You had to read through the various history of the island first and this was all old news and frankly I could not keep reading the crap and gave up. They did show a picture of an old knife, but I have no idea if that's what they actually found. My mistake for trying to read a yahoo news link.

8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Has that been made into a T-shirt?*

* Brought to by the Tourism Board of Nova Scotia.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I was channel surfing tonight and came across 'The Curse of Oak Island' on the History Channel (Canada). I think this was the original airing date (January 22, 2023) of this particular episode. I gave up on this series years ago. In the few minutes as I watched: (i) at one location on the island they claimed they had dug up a damn that the Templars had constructed; (ii) at another location they were excavated "the money pit shaft" (presumably constructed by pirates) and debated how much more deeper they should dig; and (iii) meanwhile, an analysis of part of a discovered copper coin is pronounced as a 2,000 year old Roman coin - which may or may not be connected to the Templars (did not understand the stated logic of that connection) or may have originated from the Romans, themselves.

Do they just pull any questionable theory out of a hat to prolong the TV series?

10. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

No ancient aliens yet… They just bought a new plot so there’ll be enough land for Gary to do his metal detecting for at least one more season.

This season has seen them revisiting their greatest hits with more technology. The production certainly has a formula and they sure are milking it, but I remain just interested enough to keep watching. As my brother and I have discussed a couple of times, hyperbole aside, it is clear that stuff happened on this island and it is an intersection of different societies over a long period of time.

SpaceGhost2112 and Alfie Noakes like this.
  11. It's difficult to believe that this show has got so much mileage out a sinkhole, naturally occuring limestone passages, and two centuries of tall tales and wild conspiracy theories. Then again, it's not exactly surprising lol

Chris DeVoe, numer9 and Shawn like this.
  12. If they ever found the treasure it would mean the end of the show. So even if they found it they’d never let on. Not that I believe anything is there to be found.

13. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

When something gets dated, they latch onto the oldest date and ignore anything newer.

14. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

I flipped through a book in a bookstore the other day that theorizes that "the money pit" was a tar kiln. It seemed pretty reasonable.

15. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

My cable company dropped History Channel a year or two ago and we were kind of bummed we were going to miss out but it sounds like they still haven't found anything.
    Before we stopped watching my wife and I were most interested in that ancient road they had found but then they stopped excavating that so we were starting to loose interest anyway.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  16. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I still love the show.

I enjoy the logistics of the whole thing. The drilling, the excavation, metal detecting, etc. Heck, I would love to be elbow to elbow working with them. The swamp, Smith's Cove, all of that stuff is fascinating to me.

Borgia, DIYmusic and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  17. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

Recent episodes have been dragging. I temporarily bailed out a few seasons ago, but as someone else said there’s usually just enough intrigue to keep me watching.

They do seems to be flailing around more than usual, scampering off to the swamp, some random lot and of course the endless bore holes. I’m not sure how many times I can get excited about wood samples coming out of the ground…

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  18. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

I get this thread seems to be an excuse to bash the show..................

But those saying they have found "nothing"???

Have any of you actually been up to the island or taken the tour or paid attention to the finds?
    I mean there are literally Many 100s of significant finds, that add to the story of what may or could have happened.
    Being there in real life, totally altered what I thought of what is going on. The show OF COURSE is dramatized, and a bit boring at times, and yes they repeat a lot of summaries of recent events.
    I now see it as a very important historical site, big deal about treasure, it might be all gone by now, who knows. But this place has some truly huge stuff happen NOT related to treasure directly.

Another point, Each episode is just a VERY short glimpse in time on the island. I think many are expect way too much in one hour.
    One hour "show time" is usually just a day or two of island time.

They are not up there year round searching, but merely a few weeks (or so) each year.
    They are now VERY limited in what they can do, now that most of the place is a designated Historical site, by Canada's Government.

19. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I was into the show the first few seasons, as I was quite familiar with the legend. However, after them finding only small items that are in no way directly related to any treasure, and them dragging out even the most insignificant "find" for a whole season, I tuned out. The show follows the same formula as all of these dramatized History Channel shows. Speculation, conjecture, recap. Lather, rinse, repeat. If this is called bashing, then the show must be made of some pretty thin material.

Here is the best statement about Oak Island I could find (from wiki):

"Various items have surfaced over the years that were found on the island, some of which have since been carbon-dated and found to be hundreds of years old.[1] Although these items can be considered treasure in their own right, no significant main treasure site has ever been found."

painted8 likes this.
  20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

That's kinda what I've been thinking. If I found any ONE of those things in my backyard I'd be ecstatic. It's just that they set the treasure bar so high...sort of like Columbus 'discovering' America and not Asia.

citizensmurf likes this.
  21. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

I dont know...some of the coins and Templar stuff is quite a find by any consideration.

I get most want to see 500 lbs of gold, but the story of why and how seem actually more important to me in the end.

Some of this stuff could literally change history of North America.
    Leave the gold out of the mix, and there is still a very compelling history site going on there.

22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I agree. But people don't seem impressed with it because they want to see the promised 500 pounds of gold and will accept nothing less.

artfromtex and DIYmusic like this.
  23. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

It's not a Templar cross, there is no way to definitely prove it was a cross made by or represented by the Templars. It's an old lead cross, which could have many different origins and explanations for why it ended up on Oak Island. It doesn't change the history of Canada, it just shows that someone brought it over from France, and that it was lost or placed on the island at some point in its history after 1700, which is when French settlers started to occupy the island. Usually the most boring explanation is the most logical one.

Jack White, numer9 and Pete Puma like this.
  24. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

"Oooooh...a bobby-dazzler!"

25. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Has anyone found anything else on the other surrounding islands?

Borgia likes this.