AI Genrated Art

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jeff Kent, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone ever played with the AI art generator Midjourney or any of the other programs? You can set it up pretty quickly for free and it creates art based on text prompts.

This one was 'record collection, speakers, stereo, room, music.'

[​IMG]

2. Jeff Kent

Hadean75 likes this.
  3. Jeff Kent

The Beatles playing on a rooftop at sunset in London

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and Hadean75 like this.
  4. Jeff Kent

[​IMG]

Hadean75 likes this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

6. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

It’s art direction…you ask for what you want and someone or something else creates it.
    And not to mention these AI generators were trained using copyrighted material they had no right to use. But I digress.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

There are so many amazing artists out there I don’t see benefit to this but that’s just my opinion.

jazon and audiomixer like this.
  8. audiomixer likes this.
  9. AppleCorpse

AppleCorpse Forum Resident

For the most part, the worst thing to ever happen to humanity was the computer.

10. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

Seems more interesting than the dalle I tried.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

How designers can use AI (sorry illustrators, my heart goes out to you):

Also, don't miss the third program he presents (Jasper) - not illusration but ia writing AI tool. World gone mad.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  13. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Yes, having a background in art I had to try it out. It was pretty mind-blowing to use the first few times. It's so fast in creating the art. It seemed like it would be very useful for a company who wants to do their own graphic design. Or maybe to create tattoo flash art. It wasn't at the level of pure beautiful art created by an inspired human. But it probably won't be long until it's at that level.

14. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Heartily in favor of AI. AI art shows the true nature of the ubermind, and I for one would never dream of criticizing AI. AI art has shown us The Way.
    All honor and praise to AI!:pineapple:

15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Welcome to the future, technology is replacing many traditional efforts of the artisan and artist and it's not stopping any time soon. Out with the old and in with the new as always. A double edged sword.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

And the copyright community in the U.S. is struggling not only with ingestion of others' materials as you mention, but whether AI created or enhanced works are subject to copyright protection since the rule has long been human authorship is required.

17. Leadfeather

Leadfeather Forum Resident

Years from now, we will find out that Michael Bay is an AI and that all his movies are AI-generated.

Post-Punk Monk and Dillydipper like this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

AI is a tragedy for illustrators and graphic designers. It'll all end up in the hands of marketing personnel. For a while already, Adobe Creative Suite has been in the curriculum of marketing students. We've seen the creation of websites, brochures, packaging, ads,... move from the agencies and studios to in-house company offices with one or perhaps two people running the show. Those that studied at art and design institutions, simply cut out of the equation (or get employed by those companies, bored out of their artistic minds after a few years, before hopping to a different domain/industry).
    With AI added to the mix, it'll only get worse for the creative industries. For over a hundred years, layout, illustration, photo editing, etc. relied on the skills of creatives/artists. So with all these developments, artistic talent is no longer necessary. It's enough to be a good "prompter". Of course some designers will make the step to piloting the software with a sense of "taste" but more often than not, whatever the software spits out will satisfy many a project manager or simple company boss. The actual worth of art, of talent, the creative process is undermined.
    The general public will of course be oblivious to the change without knowing what is an actual (human) work or an AI creation, and be happy with it! Even experienced designers (like myself) and illustrators won't/can't perceive the difference. It's amazing technology but it's tragic.

19. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

A few notes on this stuff. I'm a computer programmer and downloaded the code (a Python package called diffusion) to play around with it to see how it works.

The way these things work is that a computer model is built for a particular image. The model instructs the computer *how* to generate an image and, more importantly, how to combine multiple images. This model consists of a vector, or multi-component number, in between every pixel in an image. So, for a small, 512x512 image, that's (512x512)*4 vectors, or around a million vector computations. That might not sound like a lot in computer terms, but vector computations are slow unless you have special hardware to deal with them. This is where a modern, high power video card comes in handy, as they have thousands of very simple CPUs that can brute-force their way through these computations.

The way you build the model is interesting. You take the seed image, dump a bunch of random noise into it, feed both images into the neural network, and it learns how to process the "damaged" image back into the original image using the previously mentioned vectors. Then you do it again. And again. Literally, millions and millions of times. By the time the network stabilizes, you have an algorithmic interpretation of the image.

You have to train the model with existing images. Someone mentioned they are using copyrighted art, but the model I was playing was seeded with art in the public domain. Training the model takes a *long* time on *very* high end computer hardware. My current-model mid-range graphics card couldn't run the code at all. A $12,000 top-of-the-line GPU takes a full day to build a model for *one* image at relatively low resolution.

Creating the images uses equally heavy-duty hardware. My mid-range card can handle image generation, but it's *very* slow, mainly due to having only 8GB of memory (a simple image model eats up 5GB of RAM) The on-line generators are leveraging cloud GPU resources, which could be multiple tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars of GPU hardware.

20. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

a lot of talented artists are going to be put out of work, or relegated to pushing buttons. I'm afraid this is the way for much of the world, let the computers take over

21. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

"Open the pod bay doors,Hal"

"I'm sorry Dave,I'm afraid I can't do that"

:thumbsup::righton::help:

Post-Punk Monk and Purple Jim like this.
  22. that's hilarious. The program plainly has no idea. About anything, much less what a"'record collection, speakers, stereo, music" is, or does. I doubt it even knows what a "room" is. Which I find endearingly innocent, to anthromorphosize it. I wouldn't let it set up my stereo or handle my records, though.

To me, the program looks like it's just riffing on images- sorted, composed, and adjusted with a whole lot of "mid-20th century" Influence. You know, Eames, Danish Modern. And a color scheme cribbed from the Nixon Era (I identify classic era collectible design motifs by US Presidential administration tenure; for some reason, it just feels right. It's my own system, and while it isn't precise, it's proved uncannily accurate for me.)

Did you ask the program about furniture, in your request? Because it appears that's what it "wants" to turn the end result into- a form of furniture, and interior design.

23. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

It's another tool. It reminds me of midi or drum machines, which were also claimed to be items that would make human artists (musicians) obsolete. I think that ultimately it will perform a similar function - it will have utilitarian value, and some actual artists will be able to use it in a uniquely innovative and artistic manner. In that sense, it could also maybe be compared to sampling, something that is often claimed to not require creativity, but certain artists have proven otherwise. It could also be seen as a way to open up visual art to people who have no skills when it comes to actually creating something by hand, but nonetheless possess exceptional creativity in using the software.

The problem, to me, is being unable to know whether something we're looking at was created by a man or by a machine. Although ultimately, is that really a problem? The purpose of art is to be able to appreciate the art, not to glorify its creator.

I agree that it's going to seriously hit graphic designers, and perhaps even make that profession largely obsolete, or at least wildly different. I think that's similar to how music AI is going to affect composers of generic library production music. It won't make songwriters obsolete, but it might be hard to make a living composing "slow guitar blues shuffle #72" when software can do it just as well for almost nothing.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  24. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

In 20 years we will be having sex with robots. In 50 years we will be the robots. Any remaining human accused of creating art will be put to work in a factory building robots.

Post-Punk Monk likes this.
  25. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Here's another profession that's going to come to an end because of AI:

First AI-powered "robot" lawyer will represent defendant in court next month - CBS News

I don't think it will be any time soon, but this kind of stuff does make me wonder if in another century or two there might actually be AI "robots" that are pretty similar to what we see in science fiction movies. I never thought that would ever really happen, but it's seeming more possible.