External Stereo/Mono Switch

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by joberschlake, Jan 24, 2023.

1. joberschlake

joberschlake Active Member Thread Starter

I found an earlier thread by someone with a rega setup looking for a mono switch. I’m in the same boat. Is that still the preferred method and is the best switch the one made by a member here?

Faust3D and Fishoutofwater like this.
  2. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

Doesn't your amp have a mono switch?

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Have you owned any modern amps? Can't think of any recent amps that have a switch and it's rare on separate phono stages these days. I do have an old Rotel with mono switch and when in regular use it really didn't always make mono recordings sound better. Maybe if you have a lot of vintage mono LPs actually cut with a mono head a mono cartridge is a better bet.

mpw123 and John3655 like this.
  4. joberschlake

No switch on my amp.

5. joberschlake

I have. Rega P6 with the ania cart running thru a rega phono stage. I was considering a used P3 and ortofon mono cart, but not sure about that investment on a lesser table than I have. Would the records sound better on my stereo p6? Would they sound better on the p6 by introducing a mono switch?

6. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

What records? Old jazz or classical records from the 50's? Pop rock records from the 60's? Older 45's? Newer pressings in mono? Help us help you.

7. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

I bought one here from @xmas111 . Works great.

8. joberschlake

Jazz from the late 50s and early 60s, classic rock from the 60s and newer classic rock and jazz reissues (stones mono, AP jazz titles, doors VMP, etc)

9. Faust3D

Faust3D Sick of it all

BrentB likes this.
  10. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

So... quite a bit. Honestly I would get a Y-adapter to see if that makes a big enough difference for you to pursue buying more gear to compliment these monos. I do have a switch on one of my preamps and find it does make things a little clearer on the old ones. Some claim otherwise, but they have never heard that particular system of mine.

11. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

All my pres have mono/stereo switches.

edwyun likes this.
  12. Me too. Works great and a fantastic service. A really nice guy. 100%

Oscillation likes this.
  13. joberschlake

I’m going to start with a switch from xmas. Struggling to justify buying another table…

Fishoutofwater and Oscillation like this.
  14. harby

harby Forum Resident

You can start with an RCA y-cable to see if there's really a need. I made a little demo of different mono configurations.

[​IMG]

1. is pretty obvious, combine two-to-one, and back to two,
    2,3 short the channels together with the second Y branch and a mating connector,
    4. piggyback RCAs, let you connect a cable (m-m adapter just a demo) between them to short channel together.

vwestlife likes this.
  15. Soulsanista

Soulsanista Forum Resident

I recently purchased this switch and I'm very satisfied. I play a lot of mono records and recently "upgraded" to an amp that doesn't have a build in switch. Stereo to Mono RCA Switch - HANDMADE IN THE USA-RCA-2-2

kevinfree likes this.
  16. KAC_BRAVES

KAC_BRAVES Well-Known Member

Hello all!! long time lurker was wondering how to set up this particular switch with a phono preamp between the turntable and stereo receiver? I can't wrap my head around the orientation of cables? thanks in advance.

17. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

Red and white from record player to red and white on mono switch. Red and white from mono switch to red and white on phono stage. Red and white on phono stage to red and white on amp.

KAC_BRAVES likes this.
  18. Listenin' Dave

Listenin' Dave Well-Known Member

I don't know, you guys. I think maybe I should just leave everything alone before I hurt myself.
    I'm looking at the stereo/mono switch, Stereo to Mono RCA Switch - HANDMADE IN THE USA by sweetfootpedals | Reverb and all I see is red and white connections on the "Mono" side, red and white connections on the "Stereo" side, and a switch. I don't see any other identifying markings.
    I have red and white output leads from my turntable connected to the "Phono" input on the back of my receiver. How simple is that? How exactly would I connect the stereo/mono switch to my system? I must need more patch cords I guess. What would I need specifically, and how does it all connect. any help would definitely be very welcome.
    Thank you! I'd like to hang around and talk more, but I have to go and help Elon design a new spaceship.:tiphat:

19. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Strange your vintage Technics receiver does not have a mono switch. Good news is you can solve it cheaply using the tape monitor loop by connecting two Y cords to it in a way described here: SH Spotlight - If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply.. .
    No need for a switch, the tape monitor becomes your switch, but if you insist you can buy the one you linked or for example this one:
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/stereo-mono-switch.386061/
    and connect it to the tape monitor.

edit:
    Here it was reported that it is sufficient to connect the L and R tape output: Using a double Y Cord for mono recordings but it probably means that every source is monoed and you can't select stereo unless you unplug the cable, so I'd go for some of the former options.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  20. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

21. Listenin' Dave

Listenin' Dave Well-Known Member

That's what I like! Keep it simple. Ha! Ha! Ha! When I first saw the picture, all that was in my screen was your hand, the bag, and the words, "Stereo to Mono Convertor." I had to slowly scroll down to see what was in the bag. What a surprise! Very, very funny. Thanks for that one.

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

If you'd like to hear some samples of this switch in action, I included a few in a review I wrote two years back: [Review] Sweet Foot Pedals Outboard Stereo-Mono Switch

For whatever it's worth, I've found it to work very well, and my aging ears have detected no ill effects from having it in the audio chain.

23. Eddfriz

Eddfriz Forum Resident

I currently use the summing up Y cable method on my mono records and the difference is very noticeable. The only problem is having to get to the wires each time to unplug and plug it in. I've been looking for a mono switch box online but not having any luck. I know there is a member here that makes them but I'm in the UK and he's in the US.

Does anyone know of any UK sellers or sites where I can buy a switch?

24. I bought mine from our American friend. Great service and price. Works a treat.

25. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

One of the best setup I've ever listened to, was true Mono.
    Mono Cartridge, amp, one speaker
    It was amazing

Paulie Walnuts likes this.