Jerry Lee Lewis' 60s Smash Recordings: BGO or Bear Family?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtk00, Feb 25, 2022.

1. dtk00

dtk00 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently scored a copy of Jerry Lee's 70's Bear Family box set Mercury Smashes for $100 and have been enjoying the heck out of it.

I'd love to get his 60's Smash material and trying to decide if I'm better off getting the Bear Family "Locust Years" box set or just purchasing the BGO 2for1 cd sets. I found a copy of the city folks/Memphis beat for about $8 from Amazon UK a few week back so I already have that one coming.

Any thoughts on the non-album tracks I would miss out by going the BGO route? The 3 remaining cd sets would be significantly cheaper than the Bear Family set.

Any thoughts on sound quality?

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This three- volume series on US Polygram is a good way to go. Long out of print but findable.

[​IMG]

3. dtk00

dtk00 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great single disc compilation. I'm looking for complete albums though. BGO sets and Bear Family seem to be the only cd options.

4. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

I have each of the three bear family LP sets, and both the old Sun LP and 11 CD sets. All in perfect shape. I know additional material has surfaced and been added to newer and maybe better sounding collection s, but all things considered I don't see myself needing to invest any more in to the killer.
    What I can add is that I did certainly find the original mercury LP release s to have better.... mastering I guess, a better sound, but I opted to sell what I could of them off and keep and play the BF sets because they are quieter pressings. StarClub too is about as good as it gets. There's good film from that tour, and a book called... lost and found I think

Michael Manning likes this.
  5. r2rcollector

r2rcollector Forum Resident

I'm not a huge fan of the '64-'67 years so it's BGO for the last 6 Smash albums of the 60's. I have Bear Family for the 70's.

6. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

I would go Bear Family. There's just too much good outtakes and good reading in the BF box.

Grand_Ennui and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'd go for 'The Locust Years...' myself.

spanky1, Vintage1976 and dtk00 like this.
  8. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  9. I just ordered mine on BM. I just love the photo of the two school girls on Return to Rock.