The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Yea! go Andrew!

Sammy Banderas and longdist01 like this.
  2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

If you’re not a fan, I doubt you’ll get much enjoyment from the show. It was unique for its time. If you saw it in your youth, it would be fun to watch again now. Seeing an episode or two for the very first time all these decades later might be interesting but the whole series might be a challenge. The movie, Head, has actually aged better.

3. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Here is another example of the real value of Andrew Sandoval

in a way many would not expect

since 2010 , the Monkees have done various tours under the Monkees brand

all, but one tour, has done exceptional at the Box Office (for a band from the 1960s)

the one tour , that we can state , did very good (but not great) at the box office
    was the one tour, not promoted by Andrew Sandoval

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

John Lennon once famously compared 'The Monkees' (TV series) to The Marx Brothers.

If you're into 'wacky comedy' and/or comedy troupes and the like, their show might work for you.

5. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

I watched the first three episodes. The quality is just great. All sorts of details that didn’t come through on broadcast TV or VHS. The amount of commentary tracks is wild.

Monkee vs. Machine was the best of the first three episodes. Some bits that seem maybe more relevant today.

6. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

It DID happen, for many years. There was a time when this was ALL that was available.
    [​IMG]

7. MarkTheShark

I believe had it not been for Andrew, none of the 2011 and after tours would have happened. The Monkees live experience would have ended with Davy and Micky touring with Barry Williams.

8. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

This is what it was like being a Monkees fan in the mid to late 1970's, except it was a greatest hits LP. If you were lucky, you might find a Colgems record at a garage sale or at a used records store. The TV show wasn't being shown where I lived, so Monkees fans had NOTHING.

9. MarkTheShark

I think "The Devil And Peter Tork" is the best episode of the TV series and holds up well today. "Fairy Tale" is also awesome. I like "99 Poumd Weakling" because it has great songs in it but the episode itself is otherwise silly.

longdist01, FredV and BeSteVenn like this.
  10. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

There's a whole lot of silliness going on in The Monkees, but there were a lot of silly sitcoms back then. (Green Acres, The Munsters, Gilligan's Island, My Mother The Car to name just a few)

supermd and longdist01 like this.
  11. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Off the top of my head:

"You're pretty tough with a fist in your hand"
    "For Emmy consideration"
    "That's your other cousin Clara, she still looks the same"
    And Lon Chaney Jr.'s "what I want" monologue, among many others, are still lol moments for me

12. brucewayneofgotham

Clive Davis admits he dropped the ball, bigtime
    when this sold incredibly well
    and he didn't follow up quickly
    with another comp
    or just re-release the whole catalog

Bob P , who was a major , major player
    in the distribution game,
    in his weekly phone call with Clive,
    would tell him, every week
    he had retailers , wanting to buy their catalog

like Bob stated
    the damn TV show is on every single day
    and it's winning its time-slot in a ton of markets
    and we have 1 album of product to sell (that the label constantly , ran out of stock)

905, Sammy Banderas, SRC and 4 others like this.
  13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

As someone who has only seen 3 episodes of this show so far, be warned: it’s campy as hell, similar to Batman, but even goofier. Not a bad thing, but if campy 60s humor is not for you, skip this.

14. brucewayneofgotham

2nd Season is far superior to Season 1 (not that Season 1 is bad , by any stretch)

15. Grand_Ennui

I feel the opposite actually...

murphmanz, 905, doowop365 and 2 others like this.
  16. brucewayneofgotham

I actually like Head more then both seasons

2nd Season had more of "real band" vibe IMHO
    also they dropped the Laugh Track
    during the season
    that was huge plus

pocketcalculator likes this.
  17. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

It's forum poetry! Nice.

8bitj and boggs like this.
  18. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

I missed out on this set before, so I ordered a copy last week when it became available again. It showed up today, and my inner tray is trashed, which led me here. I see it’s a common issue and it looks like I’m going to have to live with it, as it seems from what I’ve read Rhino isn’t doing anything about it. That’s a bummer.

BobT and longdist01 like this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

One thing about the inner tray is that you could easily use the beat up one you received to make a template and make your own replacement out of cardboard, and if you wanted to get fancy, go to a craft store and get some gold foil to put on it... Just a suggestion.

It does suck that you and so many others received damaged product though.

Sammy Banderas, 3Dman, BobT and 2 others like this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

So good to read you were able to order and Blu-Ray package arrived, hope you can figure out a temporary solution for damaged inner tray! Enjoy your box set!!

brucewayneofgotham likes this.
  21. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

(See post #3315)

22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think if you understand a little bit of the history of comedy, television, music, and have some knowledge about the second half of the 60's, it's a great show. While some say it doesn't hold up or whatever, if you throw this show on in front of kids, they can still get into it. There wouldn't be three or four generations of Monkees fans if it didn't. The comedy is sometimes so whacky and surreal it seemed to skip a generation. You didn't really start seeing things so off the wall again until the end of the 80's and early 90's (in the US at least) with The Garry Shandling Show, The Simpsons, etc. There's some pretty good music moments. Some of the first 'videos' are on that show and they were done well for the time. Also the show made some clever editing choices for the time. It's very fast paced compared to any other program from that era (except maybe Batman). If you're into the totally absurd, maybe start with the second season or just skip to the final episode.

Chip TRG and longdist01 like this.
  23. 3Dman

Out of curiosity, is pic on the left what the tray is supposed to look like, a flat surface on top? I’ll post it again here for reference:
    [​IMG]
    If so, mine is really messed up, or the person building it just completely screwed it up and threw the discs in.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

For comparison: the original insert from an unboxing video and the redesigned version* shown on the Monkees Live Almanac site:

[​IMG]

*Text from the website announcement in 2016: "We've resolved the prior shipping issues that caused a small number of boxes to arrive with minor damage, so order with confidence."

supermd, RobRoyF and 3Dman like this.
  25. 3Dman

Thanks. I have the “improved” one. Still jacked up. Oh well.

longdist01 likes this.